PDA

View Full Version : Islay Airport

jstew15
26th May 2003, 05:32
I just thought I would let you all know about the superb service I recieved at Islay Airport (ILY/EGPI).

If you ever look out of the window and the weather is nice, get up and go flying to Islay. The landing fee is reasonable and you are always given a warm welcome from the staff. The scenery is breathtaking and the skies are quiet.

With 8 whiskey distilleries on the Island, there is plenty to do!
(Make sure you are not returning home the same day) There are plenty of lovely hotels and B&Bs to stay in. Try the Youth Hostel in Port Charlotte if you are poor and want to spend all of your money on flying (and whiskey).

Aerial Photo of Islay Airport (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/356895/L/)

If you decide to go, you won't regret it. Well......maybe the next morning.

(I stayed there for 3 days if you were wondering) :D

knobbygb
26th May 2003, 18:39
Congratulations on living in such a beautiful part of the world. I'd love to do this kind of trip but I'm 2 hours south of Glasgow (and I consider myself 'up north') so until I get my own aircraft.....

Anyway - holidays in Inverness at the end of June. Sorry to hijak your thread jstew15, but do any Scottish flyers have an out of date Scottish half-mil chart (for interest only, not flight planning) that they'd like to swap for an out of date 'England East' quarter-mil? (goes as far north west as Preston and as far south east as Ipswich). Failing that, what airfields are within, say 1.5 hours drive of Inverness (except Inverness, of course!).

TMPFICH
27th May 2003, 05:06
It Truely is a wonderfull part of the world, Oban, Tiree, Islay.... the list goes on.

Knobbygb.

Drop me an email, and i'll post an old edition 18 down to you, as far as I know the hills haven't moved so you should get the idea.

Cheers

H:ok:

JWTN
27th May 2003, 06:03
I totally agree with jstew15. I flew over to Islay last month, and the scenery was amazing! It so accessible taking only 45 minutes from either Glasgow or Prestwick, making it an ideal choice for a day away!

There plenty of things to do and plenty of nice restaurants. I would thoroughly recommend The harbour Inn in Bowmore for lunch, followed by a visit to the Bowmore Distillery. The food at the Harbour Inn is delicious and the views out to sea are magnificent!

Keef
27th May 2003, 07:58
Absolutely idyllic! Sitting outside the hotel having a few of the local liquid, enjoying the view of the harbour, before a superb dinner in the Harbour. Yes, let's go back there!

OZAZTEC
27th May 2003, 11:41
Stay at and try the Golf Course - Amazing!

knobbygb
30th May 2003, 03:06
I've booked a few hours flying out of Inverness during my holiday in June. Highland Flying School - seems like a good friendly outfit.

Anyway, in our 2 hours, the instructor suggest we could either go to Perth, Wick or Stornaway. Perth sounds a bit boring (in a nice way of course;) ) SO, should I go up the coast to Wick (most northerly mainland airfield???) or over the mountains and some water to the Isle of Lewis? Anything I should particularly watch out for at either (other than sheep and midgies?)

Also, anybody been to Plockton? Looks like my kind of airfield (who needs more than 600m anyway?) and I know the area around Kyle of Lochalsh quite well from previous holidays.

I'll have a better idea when I get my map from TMPFICH (thanks again :D ) - but for now I'd appreciate any comments. Ta.

Circuit Basher
30th May 2003, 15:09
knobbygb - I won't take your comments on Perth personally (it's where I fly out of, but I'm not a native Scot!), but it is worth keeping in mind as an emergency diversion (plus with only 30 mins flying, you can route into EDI zone and fly over the Forth Bridges / EDI City, which is always a good one!) and it does have good facilities. I know Plockton very well (and have done for the last 20 yrs - even met Mrs CB there 16 yrs ago ;) ) and have flown in and out on many occasions, but unfortunately only as pax on the Bond helicopter that used to be based there, associated with work. It's a basic strip, but if you phone one of the pubs there (Plockton Inn or Plockton Hotel), I'm sure someone will come up and fetch you, as it's less than a mile. Have to be aware that there are frequently sheep / cattle ranging across the airfield, so a low pass to check the run + scatter the beasts is not uncommon!! I do know one of the householders who live up by the airfield quite well, so please don't upset the neighbours!

I've never flown into Wick or any of the more northern airfields, but Oban and Islay always get good reports from all who visit.

Inverness is a great bit of the country - a flight along Great Glen / Loch Ness would be pretty spectacular, although it's even better with the white stuff in winter!

Take plenty of midge repellent with you and have a good time!

jstew15
30th May 2003, 20:08
Free landing fee token for Islay in the June issue of Pilot Magazine.

Another good reason to visit!

:D