PDA

View Full Version : PPL - renewing? and other bits.

John Smith
24th May 2003, 22:48
Can some kindly hearted flying instructor let me know what are the current rules about renewing a PPL. I know that it last for 2 years but what is the requirement for renewal if you have been flying or not been flying?

Also...

I have a twin piston, what does it take to keep this current and does it allow me fly any twin, or just the basic ones.

What about this relating to turbine flying.?

So you get the idea I'm actually a current airline pilot on a 737 but do a bit of 'Puddle Jumping' and would like to do a bit more for fun, thats why I'm asking about the twin bit as well.

Thanks for your time

Safe Landings

bookworm
24th May 2003, 23:11
Single-Engine Piston class rating is valid for 2 years and requires either an LPC to renew or 12 hours experience in SEPs in the second year. (You also need an instructional flight, but can count any LPC in its place -- won't be a problem if your ATPL is up to date)

Multi-Engine Piston class rating is valid for 1 year and must be renewed by LPC.

All turbines are now individual type ratings, renewed by LPC.

Different rules may apply if your ratings have expired by more than 5 years.

Stan Evil
26th May 2003, 05:13
Just to clarify a couple of Bookworm's points:

Most single engine turboprops are classes (like Cessna SET or Pilatus SET) which means training is less organised, you don't need a TRTO, and an LPC only every 2 years.

All twin turboprops and turbojets are types and so require training at a TRTO and an annual LPC.

Differences training for VP props, retractable gear, turbochargers etc is valid indefinitely for all singles but not for twins.

For a twin, differences training is aircraft specific and so training on a PA34 does not qualify you to fly a C310. To remain current from a differences training perspective you must have flown the aircraft model within 2 years.

It's all in JAR-FCL (www.jaa.nl) and LASORS on the CAA web site.

StrateandLevel
26th May 2003, 06:38
If you are current to fly a MEP then you are qualified to fly any MEP aircraft. The training required is Familiarisation training when changing from a PA34 to a C310. It is undefined and does not require any form of sign off.

Differences training is for the specified differences and does require a sign off by an Instructor.

Another point to note is that your multi-pilot IR will not be valid on single pilot aeroplanes however, if you have a UK ATPL you will effectively have IMC priviliges. A JAA ATPL does not include the IMC privileges.

IO540-C4D5D
27th May 2003, 17:17
Strateandlevel

"Another point to note is that your multi-pilot IR will not be valid on single pilot aeroplanes however, if you have a UK ATPL you will effectively have IMC priviliges. A JAA ATPL does not include the IMC privileges."

I bet VERY few ATPLs know this. Incidentally, on the way to an ATPL you probably did a CPL/IR course of some sort which would have been a single-pilot IR, would it not? And if so, isn't this valid all the time your ATPL is valid? If not, is there an easy conversion?

I happen to know of some working ATPLs who self fly hire small planes and think they have full IR privileges. The answer to this would be very interesting.

Flyer Flier
27th May 2003, 22:20
Ref your post above: Quote "I bet VERY few ATPLs know this. Incidentally, on the way to an ATPL you probably did a CPL/IR course of some sort which would have been a single-pilot IR, would it not? And if so, isn't this valid all the time your ATPL is valid? If not, is there an easy conversion?"

Just like any IR it is only valid for 12 months, so the single pilot IR would run out a year after the training you mentioned above. If you are then flying for an airline, you need to do two IR tests a year to keep full privileges on both. One a single pilot IR, the other the multi pilot IR in the airline sim. This is no big deal, because if you are flying twins, you just do a combined MEP/IR every year, however, I have to say it an expensive thing to do to "keep your hand in for puddle jumping". You don't get much change out of 500 quid for a Seneca and examiner.

As mentioned, more cost effective to just renew the SEP and use your IMC which is inherent in a UK CPL/ATPL, unless money is not a issue??
:\ :p

John Smith
1st Jun 2003, 01:44
Thanks folks for all your info, if I thought I was confused before I damn well am now.

Did my LPC last week, have the 13 hours in SEP in last year so away we go for some real flying.

bookworm
1st Jun 2003, 02:51
Just to check, John...

You can only renew by experience if you have a current, valid SEP class rating -- i.e. you must renew it before it runs out. Otherwise you need to do the SEP LPC. Either way you need an examiner to do the paperwork for you.

Have fun!