PDA

View Full Version : Avionics help please ?

FullyFlapped
22nd May 2003, 22:09
Anyone recommend someone to fix my ailing Cessna ADF ?

Thanks in advance !

FF

A and C
23rd May 2003, 02:21
the guys at stapleford can help you but DONT talk to the Redhill part of Gatwick avionics as they are not into the "light" end of the Business.

Onan the Clumsy
23rd May 2003, 03:00
Not meant to be a faceatious answer, but do you really NEED to fix it?
Could you invest the money into a GPS instead?

LowNSlow
23rd May 2003, 04:39
It's going to cost you at least £200 to have a half way decent avionics bod fix it. Form past (bitter) experience I'd follow Onan's advice and go for a GPS (Garmin Pilot III) instead.

If you chose to go down the "fix it Jim" route and you live North West of Londinium, pm for a phone number.

tacpot
23rd May 2003, 05:16
This isn't a recommendation, rather a pointer to someone you may or may not have considered yet - Tatenhill Aviation have an avionics workshop. It may be work giving them a call to see if this is within their capabilities.

See http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk/index2.php?page=avionics.php

Keef
23rd May 2003, 07:31
I'd look into it before commissioning any work. ADFs are old tech, notoriously unreliable, and a soandso to fix.

Ours went in many, many times over the years and never got any better despite large injections of cash into the avionics firm.

Eventually we tracked the problem (by pilot analysis) to the DME pulses confusing it. Turned out to be corrosion in the DME antenna - a new DME antenna cured it. There was nothing wrong with the ADF apart from anno domini.

What exactly are the symptoms with yours? Do they reproduce consistently, etc?

IO540-C4D5D
23rd May 2003, 17:21
FullyFlapped

An ADF can cost anything from very little to £3000 to put right. I know of a syndicate with a fairly expensive plane whose ADF has never worked properly, the quote was £3k, and eventually those members who wanted to fly legal IFR jumped ship; it took them a couple of years to find buyers dumb enough!

An ADF carries a particularly bad combination of being expensive (to buy and to repair) AND being unreliable.

You've got to decide whether you want to fly legal IAPs involving an NDB. If so, you've got to fix it. Otherwise, spend the money on a decent big panel mounted GPS like a KMD150. Of course a GPS is better than an ADF but sadly that's not the point...

Davidt
23rd May 2003, 17:35
Try Avionicare at Southend, we had an ancient Bendix unit that went to just about everyone to fix spent months and £loads.

They fixed it whilst we waited for a couple of hundred.

Buying a GPS wont help if you want to fly ifr approach procedures using ndb faf.