PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been to Lundy???

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th May 2003, 16:46
Contemplating taking the Chippy to the Devon strut fly-in on Lundy. However, I've heard some horror stories about the strip there and am wondering whether it's a good idea. Also, rather a lot of sea for vintage single engine, perhaps?

Anyone got first hand knowledge of flying in?

SSD

Dude~
20th May 2003, 18:18
Try the blooming search function...
or look at

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42662&highlight=lundy

welkyboy
21st May 2003, 04:46
Visit the devon strut website they have all the gen
They usually meet up at Eggesford before flying to Lundy
Strip is short and rough especially at the threshold, not a problem in a Chipmunk if you are current in short field landings. only about 12 miles from coast.

QNH 1013
21st May 2003, 05:00
Yes, been there, done that.

My comments:

Chipmunk should be ideal but I suggest going in at min weight the first time.

Don't believe the runway length given in some flight guides. The SW end is so bumpy / rough / strewn with rocks that in my opinion you need to be in the air over that part. The NE end is similar to a rough farm strip but watch out for what look like dark patches / clumps of long grass about 12" across. You can't tell what they are from the air, but if you walk over to one after landing and kick it, you will find they are very solid and to be avoided with your wheels.

Always do a very low pass and go-around first and decide exactly where you are going to touch down and in which exact direction.

The runway stretches across two fields with a stone wall in between. There is a wide gap in the wall where they remove the fence when they are expecting aircraft. The important point to remember when landing AND when taking off is that you can't see the gap from the threshold because of the curvature of the fields. Don't lose sight of the position of the gap as you flare and land, you need it to appear in front of your aircraft during the landing roll.

Very sensible to go on the Devon Strut occasion when others will have already landed that day and proved there are no big ruts.

The above is giving you as much info as I can and is not intended to put anyone off, just to fore-warn you of what to expect. I have seen a C152 on Lundy (although there was about 18 knots from the SW that day.)

Have a great day. Going to Lundy makes you appreciate how lucky we are to be able to fly.

If you have any more questions, send me a pm. I'm no expert, but I can give you first-hand experience.

QDMQDMQDM
21st May 2003, 07:46
Quite a few people pop into Eggesford beforehand on the way there and sometimes there's a briefing. Ask Chris Howell (on the Devon strut website). Also, if you do pop into Eggesford early you can probably go in formation with some others which may make you happier about the overwater bit. Remember, too, the Chivenor ASR helos are less than 10 miles away.

Important to note that landing to the west the runway starts well before the white marker stones. Last year, people were trying to touchdown at the white marker stones and it's too short. (And others were coming in downwind, but what the hell!) 60+ aircraft came in last year -- great fun.

It's a great day out.

QDM

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd May 2003, 03:31
SSD,

When is this adventure going to take place?

FD

QDMQDMQDM
22nd May 2003, 04:09
July 6th

http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/diary.htm

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd May 2003, 05:13
FD
Not sure that it is, having read the horror stories (400M and V. rough - can it be worse that 32 at Barton?) and being a fat bastard (and my companion being not a syph, but a bit less of a FB than me!). Was planned for Devon Strut fly-in.

QDM cubed - seen that site. Not encouraging :~(

SSD

QNH 1013
22nd May 2003, 07:25
SSD,

Yes it is (a lot) worse than 32 at Barton, but like I said, go in at min weight the first time. If your pax is not light, leave him/her at Eggesford and go back for him/her, if you're happy after your solo landing. Also, as I said, its not 400m in my opinion. A lot depends on the wind on the day, but you have the right aircraft so if you want to do it, why not?

I'll try and get Mrs QNH to scan some photos tomorrow and post them. Good info from QDM x 3 re the white posts, and if you're going to do it, it makes sense to do it on the Devon Strut day.

All these posts make me tempted to go again for the fly-in but I'm not sure I can get "on top" of the new aircraft in time.

QNH 1013
22nd May 2003, 16:53
Sorry but I am not a vB user and I could do with some help.
I am trying to inset a picture of Lundy into my message.
After the http:\\ bit what do I need ?
Is it the full file name and path of the image eg
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP/NameOfImage.jpg
- Which way do the slashes go?
I realize the IMG tags are put at each end of the text.

Sally (Mrs QNH)

FlyingForFun
22nd May 2003, 17:45
Sally,

If the file is currently just on your C: drive, you can't link to it on this forum. You need to publish it to the Internet first.

If you have your own web-site, then you can follow your ISP's instructions for how to do this.

But I'm guessing you don't have your own web-site, in which case the easiest thing to do is register with something like Yahoo! Photos (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/), which is completely free. The on-screen prompts will tell you all you need to know about uploading your photos.

(With Yahoo! Photos, it's easier to use the "HTTP://" button - which creates URL tags to link to your photos page - than the IMG tags. But if you want to use the IMG tags, then after you've uploaded the image to a website, view the image in Internet Explorer, Right-click on it and select Properties. The bit you're looking for is shown on the Properties page as "Address (URL):")

Hope that helps!

FFF
-------------

PS - Yahoo! Photos defaults your photo albums to be private, so only you can view them. Make sure you switch your album to Public after you create it!

CBLong
22nd May 2003, 17:54
Mrs QNH: I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only insert a picture into a message if the picture is already stored on a web server somewhere - if the only copy you have is on your PC, you're out of luck - temporarily: you almost certainly have some free webspace with your internet account, so you just need to upload the picture to your webserver, then enter the relevant URL into PPrune...

cbl.

QNH 1013
23rd May 2003, 00:51
Thanks CBL and FFF for the replies about photos.
I will have to look in to it when I have some time to spare.

Sally (Mrs QNH)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th May 2003, 18:35
Thanks for all the info and replies, guys. We have decided to give it a miss for a few reasons:

1) Distance - especially if we route to Devon first. We don't fancy the long overwater bit if we were to route direct via Swansea. And we'd have to re-fuel at least once somewhere. - more time. It would probably be more sensible to take a couple of days over it (overnight at Eggesford?) but that's not possible.

2) Our engine is 'not exactly right' at the moment, needing little excuse to misfire, as those who witnessed our departure from Kemble at G-VFWE will know. Don't fancy 12 miles of open sea until I'm happy the engineers have finally fettled it. Even then, I don't really like SE over water unless I can glide to land.

3) The strip is short and rough. I'd happily go with that on the mainland, but we are a large group and we would not be popular if we got the aeroplane stuck at Lundy. And there ain't no train home from there or engineers there to fix anything.

We plan to go to Old Warden that day instaed. No doubt the weather has other ideas ;~)

SSD

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
25th May 2003, 01:12
Mrs QNH :)

You might want to take a quick look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86853&highlight=picture). Although it talks about "Personnal Titles" and "Personaal Pictures", the advice is the same.

Hope this helps...

RTFM