PDA

View Full Version : Inertial Navigation System?

Lievers
20th May 2003, 15:08
Dear people,

Can somebody tell me what the Inertial Navigation System is? Can somebody give me information about the use of gyroscopes? What are the newest developments on this area?

I am especially interested in the mathematical techniques.

It is for a practical task mathematics.

Thanks a lot.

Rik Lievers

Beste mensen,

Kan iemand mij vertellen wat het Inertial Navigation System is?
Kan iemand mij informatie geven over het gebruik van gyroscopen bij dit systeem?
Wat zijn de nieuwste ontwikkelingen op dit gebied?

Ik ben vooral geïnteresseerd in de wiskundige technieken die hieraan ten grondslag liggen.

Het is voor een praktische opdracht wiskunde.

Hartelijk bedankt,

Rik Lievers

My e-mail:

[email protected]

BOAC
20th May 2003, 15:37
Rik - try 'search' for this. You will get nearly all your answers from this forum. As for the maths............................

Shaka Zulu
20th May 2003, 16:43
Sorry I go Dutch guys ;)

Rik, heb je toegevoegd aan mijn msn lijst, als je meer wil weten, heb er zelf nog wel wat info over.
Ze gebruiken Ring Laser Gyro's en een IRS noemen ze ook wel een Strap Down system omdat het niet meer op een beweegbaar platform "gebouwd" is. Heb zelf wel wat formules voor coriolis effecten en integreersommen die de IRS uitvoert. Niet echt heel ingewikkeld maar misschien helpt het je op weg.

BOAC
20th May 2003, 19:47
Niet forgetten der Ramsden Fall-off Kuppling!

Shaka Zulu
21st May 2003, 02:37
Okay Guys, all english again.
And aaarrggggh yesh it's dutsjjj yeshhh

oxford blue
21st May 2003, 19:52
You are unlikely to find much mathematical detail on a website such as this which is aimed primarily at pilots and maintenance personnel, not design engineers.

If it is for an academic course mathematics task, presumably you will not object to spending a little money on a textbook, which you can then use as a quoted reference?

I can recommend 'Introduction to Avionics' by R P G Collinson published by Chapman and Hall, ISBN No 0-412-48250-9. I have no connection with the author and no financial interest in this book, but we have a copy in our college library and I think that it is very good. It covers INS mathematics up to a good degree standard and it is modern - it even uses the Eurofighter Typhoon as a worked example for the mathematics of the platform.

oxford blue
22nd May 2003, 04:27
I'm sorry ASFKAP, I don't want to sound patronising and I apologise in advance if this post sounds as though I'm trying to be - but there is maths and maths, you know.

What has been posted on the thread you quote is elementary geometry and trigonometry at about GCSE level - no higher. No problem with that, as long as it deals with the job in a satisfactory manner - and, for the particular topic under discussion, it did.

But I presume that what Lievers is looking for (he doesn't make it clear) is a suitable topic for a thesis at diploma or degree level. In that case we are looking at the differential equations involved in Schuler tuning, the matrix algebra involved in axis tranformation in strapdown systems, the state variables in Kalman filters, and so on. With the best will in the world, most of the stuff in pprune doesn't get anywhere near that. This is not a criticism - just horses for courses - it's not required.

However, the book I recommended DOES deal with maths at that level.