PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles and private flying

Jinkster
17th May 2003, 23:30
Can anybody recommend a GA school out in L.A. for a/c rental in November.

What is the weather likely to be in November?

I did my JAA PPL out in Florida (KISM). Has anybody got any good tips.

Jinkster

OBK!
18th May 2003, 08:38
Hey Jinkster,

I am going in June to California to a place called "Rainbow Air" at Long beach. I won't go into too much detail because there's ever so much information already contained in this forum about flying in Western america for you to be asking this question. Do a search and type in "flying california" or something and you'll be amazed. There's plenty of advice about flying schools and private flying.

Good luck
obk

Flying surfer
19th May 2003, 02:25
I went to Air Desret Pacific (Pomona) last Oct/Nov and many days the basin was bkn-ovc but once you managed to get up above the clouds it was very nice. Every day was brillaint for flying in the desert. The flight school told me this was unusual to have so many days with poor viz.

I plan to go back this coming Oct/Nov for soem more flying.

david viewing
19th May 2003, 18:23
The viz can be poor in the LA basin in Nov. It can be really poor (2-3 mi) near downtown LA.

E of, say, Palm Springs the viz is usually unlimited but even there winter storms can sweep down from the NW with strong winds. Better weather earlier in the month.

On the plus side, temps are cooler and the ride smoother at this time of year, so you can to lots of 'hot n' high' places!

Jinkster
22nd May 2003, 01:16
Thanks for all the replies.

Can I ask - what about temperatures because I intend to have sometime on the beach also. :p

Cheers

Tall_guy_in_a_152
22nd May 2003, 01:56
Weather should be 'pleasant', but probably a bit chilly for sun bathing. My guess would be high 60's F (20C?). The Pacific Ocean is always chilly!

Santa Monica is a very nice sandy beach with a pier, restaurants, shops etc close by. You can hire a bicycle (or blades) from the pier and cycle along miles of cycle track between Malibu and somewhere much further South. Possibly Long Beach.

TG.

englishal
22nd May 2003, 03:48
It'll be shorts and T shirt weather, could possibly be a bit chilly in the evenings, though during the day should be warm enough to lie on the beach out of the wind. The waters always cold there though. Inland, in the deserts it'll be hot during the day, and possibly cold during the night. Might be a bit chilly up in Big Bear...almost the start of the skiing season...

Cheers
EA:D