PDA

View Full Version : Teesside Airport

Flock1
17th May 2003, 00:35
I am a student pilot about to do my qualifying cross-country trip. Unfortunately for me, my dual trip was different from the solo one that I will end up doing (hopefully this weekend), and so I have a few questions.

My proposed route is Leeds-Bradford - Gamston - Teesside.

I am happy with the first leg of the route as I have done most of my training at LBA, but it's the second leg that is giving me concern.

1. Does anybody know of the approach procedures at Teesside? (i.e. which VRP I will enter the zone by or are there any ATC messages that I should be made aware of?)

2. On the Gamston-Teesside leg, I will have to to fly overhead Church Fenton Zone, Linton Zone, Topcliffe Zone and skirt the edge of Leeming Zone. As these are all MATZ's. if the clouds are high enough, i can fly above them, but what if the cloud base is at say 2500ft. Will they be happy for me to transit their zones - because I have no real desire to fly diversion after diversion on my qualifier.

3. Similar to number 1 really. What are the procedures for leaving the Teeside Zone?

4. Does anybody know what the weather is going to be like this weekend?

Cheers in advance for any help that any of you can give me.

wet wet wet
17th May 2003, 00:54
Sorry to state the obvious, but you are paying your flying school/instructor lots of money, they should be willing to answer your questions!

Otherwise have a look at the entry for Teesside in the Air Pilot (www.ais.org.uk). The MATZs will PROBABLY be closed at the weekend, but give them a call on the published frequencies. If they are there ask for MATZ penetration, this should not be a problem.

For the weather try the Met office site (www.met-office.gov.uk).

Again, I am concerned that your flying school is not able to help you directly, but hope that the flight goes well!

Aussie Andy
17th May 2003, 01:27
... and the weather doesn't seem very promising... see http://imkpc3.physik.uni-karlsruhe.de/wz/pics/brack0.gif ... probably the sort of day tomorrow when you might get away with it with good timing, and being preared to divert around the showers: not something I'd expect you to be too confident with at the QXC stage, so I think you might end up postponing?

But good luck when you do do it! Sorry I don't have any specific advice for your northern area... but as has been said above you really should be able to get a thorough briefing on this from your instructor before you go (don't go if not comfortable!) but I think its also cool that you find out as much as you can from here and elsewhere before speaking to your instructors, and think the route through step by step. A good rule of thumb is that it should take you longer to plan than to fly it!

Andy

rotormad
17th May 2003, 03:06
Flew into teeside a few weeks back similar route to you and had no problems. Raf boy's (and girls) very good as usual and went straight in at Teeside, no hanging about, great stuff. Same departure really, took off 05 turned east and climed out to 3000ft.

I thought teeside was great and very well organised...you'll be fine i'm sure, but the weather is not looking good.

BUt i must agree with what has already been stated, you should really be talking to your instructors about this, or they should have already explained it to you!!

Anyway, good luck

Rotormad

Flock1
17th May 2003, 03:17
I must point out that my instructor has given me a briefing about my impending trip - and tomorrow we are planning on doing a quick sortie together up to Teesside from Leeds. He has not neglected his duties!

However, today, when I spoke to him, it was only over the phone, and i didn't really want to infringe uopn his time-off. He did answer some of my queries, but i just wanted to clarify things more - because when I had finished my conversation with my instructor, i suddently thought of other things to ask!

Basically, all I want to know is what to expect once I get to Northallerton VRP - which is I suppose, what i'll find out when I do my quick dual trip. But i want to know now!!

Cheers for the reply so far.

NinjaBill
17th May 2003, 03:38
I cant help you much with teesside, but I can tell you that, if the weather is good enough then both Linton and Topcliffe will be operating Vigilant SLMGs, with quite a high level of acitivity in close proximity to both of these airfields, so keep your eyes extra peeled if you decide to route through the MATZes/Matzi (what is the plural of MATZ)

And if the weather is thermic, or with wind from the west then there will be intense gliding actvity from Sutton Bank (the gliding site close to Thirsk) , Especially as your route follows the line of the ridge quite closely (if you fly in a straight line between the two)

If you do go, then i wish you the best of luck

NB

Mr Wolfie
17th May 2003, 04:08
I don't know Teeside, but I'm guessing that as it is a largish regional airport that it is not neccesary to PPR. This doesn't however stop you from phoning up before you set off and letting them know that you are intending to visit them on your QXC and asking what the weather is, what their likely joining instructions are going to be, etc. etc.. If nothing else if you get into a fluster on arrival they are likely to treat you gently if they know you are on your QXC and are expecting you.

All the best - I did my QXC about 6 weeks ago - a fantastic day. Relax & enjoy it:D

Mr.W

knobbygb
18th May 2003, 01:55
Not been to Teesside yet, but as far as the MATZ's on the way up, they'll probably give you pentration and ask you to remain west of the A1. Inital contact with Fenton, then they'll probably hand you off straight away to Linton (the Fenton approach frequency is actually 'manned' from Linton and is often the same controller, especially at weekend). You could go up either the east or west side but the west keeps you clear of Sutton Bank etc. and means you can use the A1 as a backup navigation feature. In fact, you could follow the A1 all the way from Gamston :ok: - good for that confidence booster. Just be confident and tell them what you want, rather than wait for them to ask - "Gamston to Teesside routing along the A1, request MATZ penetration" - no problem!

As far as I know, some, Fenton and Linton at least, are usually operative at weekends. I'm not too sure about the ones further up. Just remember that even if the MATZ's are inactive, the ATZ within is still there.

Gamston should be no probelm. One thing to note - when I went there on my first solo-landaway the circuit was in the opposite direction to what I expected so I screwed up the join. They seem to change it almost randomley.

The main thing on your QXC is not to worry. Your instructor will be absolutely sure your ready for this. When you've done it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Have a good idea what you're likely to hear from ATC and be expected to do (you're doing that already by asking here) and follow the instructions given. Know the names of all the VRP's and entry/exit lanes (if any) into the class D and mark them on the map, but don't be afraid to ask for clarification if unsure. As wet wet wet pointed out - the AIS has much more info than you'll find in Pooleys - print off the pages (links below) that specifically show all the VRP's etc. and also the airfield diagram complete with taxiway names and parking positions. If you are unfamiliar with the airfield on arrival and have to be gievn too much help that could affect the 'mark' they give.

Teeside CTR and CTA chart (PDF) (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32NV0401.PDF)
Teeside Aerodrome chart (PDF) (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32NV0201.PDF)
Teesside Aircraft Parking chart (PDF) (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32NV0202.PDF)

It feels like no time at all since my QXC and I was asking exactly the same questions so I know how you feel.

Good luck and make sure you give us a report on how it went too (when the weather decides to co-operate, that is).

Flock1
28th May 2003, 01:17
Just to update anyone interested - I finally got the chance to fly mt QXC yesterday. The weather was perfect! Everything went well, and Teesside turned out to be straightforward. The controllers there were friendly and helpful - and one of them even gave me a guided tour of the Tower! And they told me that my landing and airmanship was good. (Perhaps they confused me for someone else!)

Next stage is a bit of revision- then my skills test!

So on that topic, can any of you give me any pointers about what the oral part of the test is going to be like? Will I have to learn everthing again? (I passed my exams last August.)

Any replies would be appreciated.

Flock1