PDA

View Full Version : Aldergrove Approach/Radar Freq.

jetfour
15th May 2003, 23:20
:confused:

Aldergrove on the up!

Once upon a time, not that long ago, the nice people at EGAA could be heard on 120.0

Then it was 120.9 for a few years until 124.9 arrived.

As of 15/05/03 it is to be 128.5

Is there a problem or are they just playing 'hard to get?'

jetfour

Scuzi
18th May 2003, 06:31
I remember once last year they changed the frequency from 124.9 to 120.9 for about a week. I haven't a clue why though.
Just turned on my scanner there to listen in to the tower and an Emerald Air flight to IOM was handed over from the tower directly to Scottish control, bypassing the approach frequency - any ideas why?

As for the 'frequent' frequency changes, I haven't a clue but I'll see if I can find out next time I'm down.

Spitoon
18th May 2003, 19:38
Frequency changes usually happen because of interference. Although the range in which interference is likely to occur is calculated before any change is made sometimes radio waves don't seem to follow the laws of physics and and the change doesn't achive the desired result - that's why another frequency is usually allocated within a matter of days. Because the frequency spectrum is in such demand it is quite possible that a frequency change occurs at one airport that has not suffered or caused any interference simply to facilitate a change somewhere else.

with alacrity
18th May 2003, 21:10
Scuzi

In answer to your other query raised about the Emerald flight,It is not unusual for an aerodrome controller to transfer departing aircraft directly to the parent en-route centre and bypassing the approach radar frequency.
At airfields with Standard Instrument Departures (SID's) the majority of departures transfer directly from aerodrome to the en-route centre. There are of course some exceptions such as missed approaches and departures that will conflict with inbounds etc.
At Aldergrove, there are no SID's and in the majority of cases, the departures will always be transferred to Approach Radar in order to be correctly positioned and separated on designated routes, clear of conflictions, before being transferred to Scottish Centre.
The Emerald flight that you mentioned was probably going to Liverpool or Coventry via the IOM VOR and not the airport itself as Ronaldsway closes at night.
If Approach Radar at Aldergrove have no conflicting traffic, they can request the aerodrome controller to transfer a departure directly to Scottish therefore removing the need for an unnecessary frequency change.
Hope this helps.

Scuzi
18th May 2003, 22:06
Thanks for that 'with alacrity'. You learn something new everyday :ok:

jetfour
26th May 2003, 02:38
:rolleyes:
Hi Folks,

Been away. Thanks for the posts.

BUT, who is being interfered with?

Four frequencies in ten years! Harbour (sorry City) have had 130.75 & 130.85 for oinks!

EGAA: 120.0; 120.9; 124.9; & now 128.5!

Do we live in a natural interference zone. (Don't answer that!)

Honestly, just wondered.

jetfour

Bigears
26th May 2003, 16:25
Scuzi, as the man with the scanner, will probably already know that 124.9 was the old West Scottish freq, and 128.5 the old Talla sector freq.

Tower Ranger
29th May 2003, 03:11
with alac...... It also saves waking the radar controller!