PDA

View Full Version : A puppy in Jersey

stiknruda
15th May 2003, 17:23
Chaps,

Yet again more info required......

I have an option to buy a puppy which was born on Jersey at the weekend. :\

I'd like to nip over at the end of June to actually select the dog that I want and thought that I'd nip over in the Pitts via Calais and route around the coast before striking nortwards towards Jersey, thereby minimising my wet footprint.

No major problems with any of that but my aeroplane does not possess a transponder.

QUESTION Can I go to Jersey "negative squawk"?

Thanks

Obviously I'll arrange for him to come over in greater comfort should there be one that takes my fancy!;)

Stik

Fly Stimulator
15th May 2003, 17:45
Stik,

Yes, you can.

I went there last autumn without a transponder. I rang Jersey ATC beforehand to discuss it and found them to be very helpful. They asked me to come in via the St Germain VRP to minimise the time I'd be in their zone.

When I got there on the day I got a SVFR clearance straight away (not above 1,000' I seem to recall) from there to the south east corner of Jersey and then along the coast to the airport.

All very straightforward as it turned out. Great facilities at the Jersey Aero Club too, who do all the GA handling.

Kolibear
15th May 2003, 22:15
OK, OK, someone has to say it.

Its not a Pitts-bull Terrier is it? :)

BRL
15th May 2003, 22:26
Oh pleeeeeeeeease, thats worthy of a ban for a day just for being poor taste...... :D

sennadog
15th May 2003, 22:34
Nah. Gotta be a Ridgeback to the make that journey.:ok:

stiknruda
15th May 2003, 23:11
Yep - it's a rhodie!

Stik

welkyboy
16th May 2003, 02:20
Make sure that you dont land in France on your return with puppy as it will then be subject to quarantine in UK.
Contact ATC Supervisor Jersey (01534 492226) before flight planning as they may not accept you as the new radar is electronically derived and needs transponder reply to identify you.

Charlie Fox
16th May 2003, 02:24
Yes you can come to Jersey without a transponder. Ring ATC Jersey on 01534 492226/7 a few days before arrival & they will suggest an inbound routing for you. If possible avoid Saturdays but it will not preclude your visit.

stiknruda
16th May 2003, 03:35
Thanks everyone!

Stik

eyeinthesky
16th May 2003, 04:30
Just a small point: Unless you go all the way to St Malo around the French coast, "striking nortwards towards Jersey" might mean you will miss it all together! :D

Aerobatic Flyer
16th May 2003, 05:36
And don't practice spinning mid-channel! ;)

tacpot
16th May 2003, 18:15
Don't want to make the puppy sick, do we!

Are you thinking of going in the Pushpak? Or does the Pitts not have a transponder either?

stiknruda
16th May 2003, 18:23
Tacpot - neither has a transponder, the Pushpak doesn't have a radio either.

The Pitts is quite an economic A to B machine - the Pushpak is gorgeous but a tad slow at less than half the g/s of the Pitts.

I'll probably borrow something with 4 seats (and hopefully a tailwheel!) when I actually go across to collect him/her. I can strap a travel box onto the rear seats - did it years ago with my current dog, JHB - FQMA.

Thanks again for all the help.

Stik

AerBabe
16th May 2003, 18:44
my current dog, JHB - FQMA That's a strange name for a dog, how do you pronounce it?

dublinpilot
16th May 2003, 18:58
There has been numerious threads here about the effect that aircraft noise can have on the hearing of young childern being brought flying. I'm not a vet but I imagine a dog's hearing could also be badly damaged from the noise, and it would be very difficult to get any sort of hearing protection for it.

Any vets here? Anyone know more about this than me?

Just a thought, but I'm sure you'd be very annoyed to discover you'd deafened your new adorable pet!

sennadog
16th May 2003, 22:49
dublinpilot - David Clarke do a nice headset for dogs, the DC - K9 which is available without the mic attachment for obvious reasons.

poetpilot
17th May 2003, 01:39
M\ybe Maurice Kirk, Flying Vet could comment :p

I'm sure I read something about dogs being taken by light aircraft - something like it's ok to transport them around the EU now providing they have the appropriate injections, microchip and certificate of dogworthiness, but that the authorities didnt like them arriving from other EU countries by light a/c.

Of course if its the Channel Isles, then strictly speaking it isnt foreign but must be worth a quick call to HM Customs to make sure you don't get sold a pup...:E

Fly Stimulator
17th May 2003, 02:10
http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gallery/dogpilot.jpg

I know I posted this picture here once before, bit it seems apposite again :)

Circuit Basher
17th May 2003, 22:29
Or even this one!

Flying Collie (http://groups.msn.com/CircuitBasher/fujiphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=84)

dublinpilot
19th May 2003, 19:22
Are you pulling my leg Senna dog?:oh:

Bet it's only compatible with other DC-K9's ;)

stiknruda
25th May 2003, 05:43
Thanks for all your help...

proud "dad" alert you to the fact that RENO (aged 7 weeks)arrived back in Norfolk early this evening...

His hearing is fine - behaving abominably in the garden but didn't piss, pooh or puke en route - atta boy!

At 14lbs amost considered a new W&B!
Next time we fly we'll try RENO with some inverted stuff

I could possibly post a pic of the pup in the Pitts if you are interested enough!!

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
25th May 2003, 16:32
Good name.

Hope Reno's ok, and you're both settling into NTF well :ok:

Did you bring him back in the pushpak?

tKF

sennadog
26th May 2003, 02:08
Great stuff. Senna and Jenson send their regards and wish him happy hunting although the sound of that flying has limited appeal to most RRs.

Show us the piccies.

:ok:

Hersham Boy
27th May 2003, 16:54
I can't believe you needed to ask about posting piccies!

You'd better get him (or her) a logbook by the sounds of it... anyone fancy a thread on the logging of co-pilot hours by our canine friends? :D

Hersh

dublinpilot
27th May 2003, 20:32
yea....stick up the pics!