PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle EGNC

DeanCross(DCS)
14th May 2003, 04:46
I have heard that Carlisle isnt too busy now-a-days and that it is struggling to attact even GA/Private aircraft to the once very busy beautiful airfield.

I have heard that they are shortly to commence some form of scheduled traffic does anyone know why they arent attracting GA traffic or business jets?? Is it they are not GA friendly anymore; if so thats a real shame they used to offer a first class service especially as weekends.

DCS

Vedeneyev
14th May 2003, 05:28
That's a shame to hear. I learnt to fly at Carlisle in '91, but even then it wasn't very busy except for a couple of RAF birdstrike diversions and scheduled flights transporting spent nuclear fuel rods.

In fact that's probably the only reason it's still open - I know the RAF pay a proportion of its upkeep to use it as a diversion, and I wouldn't be surprised if THORP did too.

It has got good facilities and excellent runways - I have used it occasionally the last few years after some excellent 500' nav jollies through the lake district. It's in a beautiful part of the world, but with the terrain to the South and Danger Areas to the North I guess most GA are put off without having a specific reason to visit Carlisle. Also with few other GA airfields close by, a Saturday afternoon hamburger costs considerably more than $100!

capt_sparky
14th May 2003, 16:27
Carlisle's lack of appeal probably has a lot to do with the very rude airport manager.

jonnys
15th May 2003, 00:49
Just recently saw a message on my flying club's notice board that said Carlisle were reducing their landing fees in a specific attempt to encourage PPLs to visit. Fancy a trip up there myself-what could be better than a saturday morning jaunt over the Lake District? (oh yeah, the crap weather...maybe around the coast then!)

Father Mulcahy
15th May 2003, 01:58
I'll second Capt Sparky - visited Carlisle in early March and it ranks as the most unfriendly place I have visited. A real shame as the facilities are first class.

They need to take a page out of "The Paul Keegan Airport Managers Guide".

FM