PDA

View Full Version : Listening in to ATC broadcasts

skinteastwood
13th May 2003, 21:08
I live near bournemouth airport and might be interested in going along and listening in to the ATC broadcasts and the crew's responses. What equipment do I need and where can I get hold of it? I assume it's legal....

Bubbette
13th May 2003, 22:31
I don't know about that airport, but if you search there are many live atc broadcasts on the net. Philadelphia, Dallas, JFK are some that come to mind.

FlyingForFun
13th May 2003, 22:49
Haven't seen this one discussed for quite a while, so it's possible the rules have changed since (rules have a habit of doing that). But the last thing I knew, it was illegal. Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from doing it, and the police, on the whole, turn a blind eye to it. All you'll need is an airband scanner, which you can buy from any pilots shop.

Do a search of the Private Flying forum for more information, but unless it's been discussed more recently and I just missed it, you'll probably have to go back a year or two.

FFF
-------------

witchdoctor
13th May 2003, 22:59
Don't forget the anorak.;)

df1
14th May 2003, 02:56
NOW! That was uncalled-for!!:8

Andrew M
14th May 2003, 08:17
hey - it's not that bad :O

The possession of an airband radio is legal, but using it is allegedly illegal - or something like that anyway.....

aaaaaa
14th May 2003, 20:49
I think acting on information heard may be illegal .....

stevethescotspilot
15th May 2003, 05:34
Hey skinteastwood,
dunno if you're planning to become a pilot, but my dad is a spotter and listens to airband radio a lot. (Glasgow and Prestwick, as well as Shanwick HF) This is what got me into flying in the first place, and I found it extremely helpful for my PPL. Knowing what they're on about before you start training is a big confidence booster.
And no, I don't have an anorak either!

Dufwer
15th May 2003, 17:06
skinteastwood, I too live in the Bournemouth area and regularly listen to the local ATC. I do this in a vain attempt to improve my RT. :ugh: Send me a PM if you would like info on a good shop in Christchurch where you can buy a airband (i.e. if you don't want to wait for the delivery from a mail order place).

D

moggie
15th May 2003, 17:29
Ring the local police or the airport and ask them about it - just give them a false name so that if they tell you it is illegal they don't know who to come looking for!

Nopax,thanx
15th May 2003, 20:33
AFAIK, and unless the situation has changed lately, the ownership of the radio is OK (or else they wouldn't be on sale!) but it is the licensing aspect.

You need a licence for your TV; you should also have one for your hand held radio, because it is not on the premises where the TV licence is applicable - now, of course every man and his dog owns a portable radio. 99.99999% of car owners have one too.

Theoretically, they should all be licensed - but of course they are not. The police will nearly always turn a blind eye (or a deaf ear :D ) to anyone listening to ATC on a portable radio, especially if it is only the civil frequencies.

Just recently at some of the military bases in the UK that were featuring in Operation Iraqi Freedom, the local police would advise spotters not to monitor the military transmissions. I believe one individual had his set taken from him.

It may well also be the case that it is illegal to post certain radio transmissions online - certainly the US military would like it stopped.

What skinteastwood is proposing to do should cause him no problems at all. Just invest in a half decent VHF set (my little AR-108 cost £70) and you should enjoy hours of fun. The cheapo sets are not worth using as a doorstop.

spekesoftly
15th May 2003, 21:23
Nopax,thanx,

I think that you'll find that domestic/portable/car radio licences were abolished many years ago.

skinteastwood,

For further discussion on using airband scanners see HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69140&highlight=scanners)

And the definitive RADIO AUTHORITY's legal position:-

RA169 is also available in (45 KB).

The purpose of this information sheet is to remove any confusion regarding the reception of personal or business radio transmissions by unauthorised persons or groups. It also gives guidance on the subject by setting out the legal position with regard to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 (WT Act). How the legislation is applied will depend on the individual circumstances of the offence.

Anyone who intends to listen to radio transmissions should be aware of the following:

A licence is not required for a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission as well (The Wireless Telegraphy Apparatus (Receivers) (Exemption) Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No 123). The exception to this is that it is an offence to listen to unlicensed broadcasters (pirates) without a licence. Licences are not issued for this purpose.

Although it is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanning or other receiver in the UK, it must only be used to listen to transmissions meant for GENERAL RECEPTION. The services that you can listen to include Amateur and Citizens' Band transmissions, licensed broadcast radio and weather and navigation broadcasts.

It is an offence to listen to any other radio services unless you are authorised by a designated person to do so.

There are two offences under law:

Under Section 5(1)(b) of the WT Act 1949 it is an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person,

either:

(i) uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient;

This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person. A designated person means:

the Secretary of State;
the Commissioners of Customs and Excise; or
any other person designated for the purpose by regulations made by the Secretary of State.
or:

(ii) except in the course of legal proceedings or for the purpose of any report thereof, discloses any information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any such message, being information which would not have come to his knowledge but for the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus by him or by another person."

This means that it is also illegal to tell a third party what you have heard.

With certain exceptions, it is an offence under Section 1 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 for a person - "intentionally and without lawful authority to intercept, at any place in the United Kingdom, any communication in the course of its transmission by means of:

a public postal service; or
a public telecommunication system."
It is similarly an offence to intercept any communication in the course of its transmission by means of a private telecommunication system.

This means that it is illegal to listen to telephone calls, including mobile phone networks which are designated as forming part of the public telecommunications system.

Common questions answered

Q. Am I breaking the law by owning a scanner?

A. No, but it is illegal to use one to listen to frequencies other than general reception transmissions or those parts of the radio spectrum which your transmitting licence, if you have one, allows you to use. You could be prosecuted for this.

Q. Can I get a licence to use a scanner?

A. No, there is no scanner licence.

Q. Could I get authority to listen to emergency service transmissions, for example? I am interested and might be able to help.

A. No, authority is reserved for people acting under statutory authority. If you wish to listen in to messages, you should obtain the permission of the person sending them.

Q. Isn't it all right to listen as long as I don't pass on what I hear?

A. No, using radio equipment to listen in, except as provided by section 5(1)(b) of the WT Act, is an offence, regardless of whether the information is passed on.

Q. Isn't this all a bit heavy?

A. No. No-one likes their private or business conversations to be listened to. Parliament has passed these laws to protect the privacy of radio users.

If you require more information on the law regarding receive-only radio and scanners, please write to:

RA3/Enforcement Policy Unit,
Radiocommunications Agency
Wyndham House
189 Marsh Wall
London
E14 9SX

For further information on other radio matters contact the Agency's 24 hr Enquiry Point on 020 7211 0211

or e-mail on [email protected]

RA169 is also available in (45 KB).

RA 169 (REV 7)
January 2001

witchdoctor
17th May 2003, 00:01
So presumably you could listen in to civilian ATC broadcasts if you held a valid aviation RT licence (you could be considered an authorised person in this respect), or it would be legal as you could argue such broadcasts are connected to weather and/or navigation? Assuming anyone in authority really cares that is.

Andrew M
17th May 2003, 01:25
I'm no legal eagle, but I would say you are spot on with that witchdoctor - after all think about it.

You can buy a portable transceiver for aviation purposes, which you could use to listen only, but it would be easy to press the PTT button, and yet you cannot buy a receiver ??? IT's common sense - if your a pilot, I don't see why not.

Another point - I think you DO need a R/T license before buying a transceiver - imagine if one of them got into the wrong hands ..... :rolleyes:

Happy listening ! :D

mstram
17th May 2003, 04:05
Don't forget the anorak.

What does "anorak" mean as applied to scanner listening?

dictionary.com says that it is a "A heavy jacket with a hood; a parka."

Is there another (british slang ??) meaning?

Mike

chiglet
17th May 2003, 05:07
mstram
An "Anorak" is a "fur lined heavy jacket, a 'Parka'"
It's also a name for people who frequent cold, draughty wet railway platforms in the [sometimes] vain hope of "spotting" a previously unseen locomotive/power unit or even a coach :confused:
Transfer said breed to "Aviation" and the mind then can boggle:D
Not to say that I wasn't one:) many moons ago, but, and it's a big BUT a lot of them are "deadly serious". They know more about the B737 than Boeing
You get my drift???:ok:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Andrew M
17th May 2003, 07:08
nah, don't listen to him - he's taking the piss.

It's a technical term to do with the inside of the receiver.

honestly guv :D

mstram
17th May 2003, 10:23
Chiglet,

Ok thx.

I've been known to do some "casual" plane spotting ... only if it's *warm* out, or else snug in my car.

Andrew M
17th May 2003, 20:16
:D it's a bit pointless if the weather isn't good. That is what the difference between us normal folk, and "them". Also, if you keep a record of regestration codes then that is a sign of "them".

Binoculars and the radio are a must (otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it). Cameras are just going over the borderline :) .

PS: You can't really help it on the M8 outside Glasgow - from the motorway you can see the runway and most of the bays (or gates). Sometimes as you drive past, one goes overhead. Does that count ??? :confused:

:)

witchdoctor
18th May 2003, 20:42
It's a term of endearment for the people kind enough to actually want to see aircraft in the air, and who think pilots are potentially interesting people.;)

My wife thinks I'm an anorak for inhabiting PPrune too regularly!:8

Andrew M
18th May 2003, 20:57
My wife thinks I'm an anorak for inhabiting PPrune too regularly

At least you don't have to go out into the cold !

RE: It's also a name for people who frequent cold, draughty wet railway platforms in the [sometimes] vain hope of "spotting" a previously unseen locomotive/power unit or even a coach -- -- by chiglet