PDA

View Full Version : La Rochelle Info please

Timmy O'Tool
13th May 2003, 14:43
Thought that I’d go to La Rochelle at the weekend, any information about the airfield from those of you that have been much appreciated.

Thanks

:cool:

Aussie Andy
13th May 2003, 16:38
I'm sure there'll be lots of replies as the place seems popular with Brits! I've only been there once, on the return from Barcelona. Its an excellent town, great for a few beers with the yachties, reasonable hotels (but book ahead in the busy periods), nice airfield, good services, and I don't remember it being expensive. Also, being on the coast, its not hard to find!

Recommended :D

Andy

gasax
13th May 2003, 23:12
To avoid having to fly into the overhead, use the big bridge as a landmark, the airfield is tucked to the north east of the shore end. The land is pretty flat and with the airfield on the edge of the town it does not standout that well.

Other than that typical French provincial airport. Make a point of trying the restrurants in the old town - excellent and very scenic.

Timmy O'Tool
13th May 2003, 23:19
Thanks guys,

I should have mentioned I'll be going IFR

Flying Boat
14th May 2003, 02:42
La Rochelle is straight forward, but don't overfly the no fly areas, little hamlets to the North & East. Jeppessen VFR Charts show it.

Once landed, refuel if necessary first, the firemen refuel, take landing charges, baggage for commercials & occasionally do Firemen duties, as in most provincial airports.

Parking on the grass is cheaper than parking on the hardcore, however, I flew an Aztec there & parked it on the hard for 2 nights & paid only £4.50 - think they got it wrong.

Customs: 4 HRS PN is required, weekdays inbound & out, but I usually telephone them the day before, sometimes backing it up with a fax.

Return flight plans are telephoned to Bordeaux from a freephone at the base of the tower (airside) and weather is obtained from a computer terminal, a bit like MARS, also at the base of the tower.

Due to the glass frontage looking over the small apron, you can leave the passengers in the terminal until you are ready.

Exit & entry is through the baggage area, long plastic strips.

The firemen will not be around at lunchtime (2 hours+) to collect your landing fees, so you must leave a business card with all your contact details & REG if you want to go outside the manned times.

AA is right, pre book your accom. I have stayed in the 'Le Yachtman' hotel on the old harbour front, and the 'Oceanide' next to the new aquarium, near Jaques Cousteau's ship 'Calypso'. (Both are Mercure)

There are also at least 2 Ibis hotels & a Novotel. Go to the accor site: www.accorhotels.com do the search for La Rochelle & you will see the availability.

Once arriving in La Rochelle airport & entered the terminal go & have a drink at the little bar in the departure area whilst one of you gets a taxi. The taxis are easily contacted through a free phone on the left wall (yellow if I remember correctly) between the two sets of doors going to the airport carpark area.

The restaurants are wonderful, a very high quality one (sorry can't remember the name) by the right tower (as you look at the harbour, out towards the sea). An extra fix is the Rhummerie to the right of this restaurant (good quality 60 year old Rhum). Last visual clue, this restaurant has high quality linen on the tables & clear crystal glasses for excellent wine.

A local apperitif is Pinneau des Charentes, wine/grape juice fortified by cognac, served chilled & in two colours, lovely jubbly.

The XO Cognac is also very cheap.

If you fancy a good boat ride, go to Fort Boyard, a Napoleonic fort now used for game shows.

Have a good trip, i'm bloody envious, lucky sod.

FB:ok:

Timmy O'Tool
15th May 2003, 01:44
Flying Boat

Many thanks for the information, very helpful.

Southern Cross
15th May 2003, 03:00
Flying Boat's advice is spot on. Don't forget the 4 hours notice before you leave becuase they WILL fine you. Grass parking is free. It is a superb place to fly into. To the north of the airport on the other side of the bay is a swampy area where I have often experienced localised fog or mist. Usually much clearer in the circuit.

Do not miss theopportunity to go to Ille de Re. the bridge over there is pricey, but it is worth it. St Martin en Re is a wonderful place and the beaches at the far end, I think called Plage de Balein or something similar, are the best in the region.

Flying Boat
20th May 2003, 04:59
Timmy how did you get on?

When are you going back, now you love the place?

FB:ok: