PDA

View Full Version : Bail Procedure

paulo
13th May 2003, 01:29
I wore a chute for the first time on Saturday. Got me thinking about the procedure in a Robin 2160, in which there is a single handle to jettison the canopy.

Remove headset (and unplug???), lose the canopy then release your harness?

witchdoctor
13th May 2003, 05:07
Personally, jettison the canopy, undo the harness (just make sure it is the right one!) and get the hell out of there. Not much point faffing about with your headphones - they won't prevent you bailing out with all the adrenalin that will be pumping.

Circuit Basher
13th May 2003, 15:33
With standard civvy jack plugs (depending on the orientation of your sockets), there's every likelihood that the phones will stay with the aircraft (hopefully without your head!!). May have somewhat chafed ears for a while ;)

With the NATO headset jacks, these are designed to detach as you exit the aircraft, so the headset stays with you (usually installed in a bone dome!!).

If you have an expensive ANR set, then you may wish to unplug the headset. If they are cheap, or the clubs, leave them!

FlyingForFun
13th May 2003, 16:14
Or you could try flying in the US, where any aerobatic flights with more than 1 POB require parachutes. Yes, that's right, if you go spinning in a PA28-140 with an instructor, you have to wear a 'chute. Anyone got any suggestion for how to get out of a Cherokee in a rush? Do I push my instructor out, or politely wait for him to exit? Maybe I'd be better trying to squeeze out of the storm window? :D

(Sorry, I shouldn't hijack a serious thread, but I find this to be a rather stupid rule!)

FFF
-----------

FNG
13th May 2003, 16:26
If I was abandoning an aircraft, I wouldn't pause to to consider how expensive my headset was. Anyway, it would presumably be pulled off your head on the way down, even if unplugged.

Barney_Gumble
13th May 2003, 17:08
FFF,

Of course it is very easy.....you just remove your instructors shoes because high heels might tear the slide, ask the CC (instructor I assume) for a life cot if you have an infant in your pocket then follow the emergency lights that illuminate at floor level until you reach the overwing exit (underwing if in a Cessna ;) ). Then you nod towards the CC who smiles, then you pull the cord in the lifejacket, check it is inflated properly topping up as necessary using the little red tube, check your light will come on when in contact with water and then jump whilst shouting "Jeronimo"

At this stage I too shall apologise and return to Moe's tavern :O

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~derek/proon/cat.gif

QDMQDMQDM
13th May 2003, 17:19
Do you still get a pin from the caterpillar club?

Hersham Boy
13th May 2003, 19:32
Two other considerations for you:

a) point the a/c (if still vaguely pointable) away from people and houses;

b) watch out for the tailplane on the way out - ie. jump AWAY from the side of the a/c.

The former would make you feel very guilty and the latter would make you feel very bruised!

Hersh

FNG
13th May 2003, 22:49
The great thing about this thread is that most of us can bang on about it without having done it (a bit like ditching). Another alleged top tip from the not been there not done that book of inexperience is: if spinning, dive inside the spin, otherwise you end up like the bloke who bailed from the rear cockpit of a Tiger Moth only to land in the front cockpit, from which he exited without further mishap, thus bailing out twice from the same aircraft. I hope not to be able to report back on whether this or any other jumping-out top tip is a good idea.

Meanwhile, I am trying to decide whether my National backpack-style parachute feels more comfortable with the rear seat cushion in place or removed. It is lighter and easier to put on than the seat parachute which came with the aircraft, but less comfortable when strapped into the seat. I should maybe get something to put behind my lower back. What do others with Nationals find?

Lowtimer
14th May 2003, 19:11
Like FNG I haven't done this and hope not to, but like anyone who straps on a parachute for aerobatics you do have to think hard and seriously about how you will use it if the need arises, otherwise what's the point? I'm a great believer in "muscle memory", the idea that if you physically rehearse a certain sequence of events your body can recall that sequence even if your conscious mind is overloaded. This leads me to two points. First, I frequently arrive early for my flight, don full flying gear, gloves, helmet etc, sit in the front of the Yak, strap and plug in, and rehearse my bail-out. Canopy locked back, unplug RT, throttle closed, switches off, point aircraft clear, feet out of rudder straps, release harness, get out. This way I learned that it's surprisingly important to deliberately move the harness straps out of the way, simply pulling the pin won't necessarily get you out quickly. I disconnect the RT because my bone dome is firmly attached to me head and it's quicker to pull the RT plugs than take off the helmet, plus when I'm bailing out I want the protection against hitting the tail etc.
Second, I always put the parachute on before I get into the aeroplane, and always get out of the aeroplane before I take the parachute off. The RAF once lost a Bulldog pilot because his muscles were programmed to release all the straps in the cockpit - chute included - then get out at the end of the flight. He jumped, the chute stayed put. And once upon a time I saw a very experienced pilot fasten up a parachute harness in the cockpit, then forget to strap into the aeroplane (fortunately he was reminded as he started to taxy).