PDA

View Full Version : Tatenhill...?

big.al
13th May 2003, 00:34
Planning a first trip to Tatenhill at the weekend in the 172, wx permitting of course.

Can anyone tell me if the food in the cafe there is any good, and what sort of fayre they offer on Sundays?

Any particular hints and tips for Tatenhill, other then being aware of the close proximity of East Mids class D? I haven't transitted through East Mids before - are they generally fairly accomodating to us low-time VFR mortals?

Thanks.

QNH 1013
13th May 2003, 00:58
If you are coming from the NE, watch out for Derby's ATZ and their joining aircraft, many of who route via Church Broughton (disused) which is a local VRP. If you get a clearance through East Midlands CTA you may be able to fly over Derby's ATZ.
East Midlands are normally very helpful providing you sound competent on the radio.

Alternatively route via Trent VOR (by the large reservoir) and fly under the EM CTA.

Watch out for the gliding site which is almost on the extended centreline of r/w 26 at Tatenhill and is on the boundary of their ATZ.
Can't help re the food I'm afraid but I think its just bacon cobs etc. Suggest a phone call to Tatenhill to check menu and opening times. I know the food sometimes closes earlier if the wx is bad and no-one is flying.

rotorcraig
13th May 2003, 02:47
I'm a low hours PPL(H) and have spoken with East Midlands a couple of time in the last fortnight; once flying Sywell -> Alton Towers :D :D :D and once Sywell -> Tamworth.

In both cases I was transiting under their airspace rather than through, but they were absolutely great - advising on traffic in the vicinity and advising on onward RT.

Go for it ... I was worried beforehand but it went well and is great experience to have behind me.

RC

witchdoctor
13th May 2003, 05:03
East Midlands should be no sweat. When I was training for the ATPL we would fly up there regularly, and they were always pleasant and helpful even though there couldn't have been a bigger bunch of flying muppets than those of us struggling with twin engine IFR on early trips.

Try it, you might like it!;)