PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft in difficulties - Sussex

Synthetic
9th May 2003, 00:23
This afternoon while flying model aircraft on the Downs, we saw a light aircraft ( Cessna 150ish ) apparently with problems. It cleared a set of pylons then flew at about 100-200ft along a valley. Engine was running but the aircraft was sinking. We watched it until it reached a corner in the valley. There was no smoke or fire, but the aircraft did not reappear. Time about 1355 local. Location between Lancing and Worthing. We called emergency services, but they could not find anything. Anyone know what happened?

Hope all on board were OK

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2003, 01:05
Not landing at Shoreham by any chance?, the circuit there takes you quite low over part of the downs and near to a couple of model aircraft sites before dropping down a valley to land.

And yes, it's between Worthing and Lancing.

G

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 01:18
Power line patrol perhaps?

Synthetic
9th May 2003, 01:38
Thanks for the replies. Not landing at Shoreham - flying the other way (and actually Lancing is between Shoreham and Worthing).

Could have been pylon checking, but it still disappeared. Consensus among my colleagues (some of who also fly full size) was that it was in trouble.

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 02:52
Don't know what the UK equivalent is, but In these cases, I just check www.ntsb.gov (http://www.ntsb.gov) in a month or so.

Notso Fantastic
9th May 2003, 03:21
Engine failure after take-off PRACTICE?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th May 2003, 03:26
Practice engine failure, going into a farm strip, or just some naughty low flying would be my bets.

SSD

QDMQDMQDM
9th May 2003, 03:38
Like as not, it was someone having some fun.

QDM

Onan the Clumsy
9th May 2003, 04:01
Well they were unitl the police called 'em up and started asking difficult questions.

RichyRich
9th May 2003, 19:48
This may be my mis-interpretation of the thread, but why does it seem that whenever some one tells of reporting a 'plane down, it always lands up being taken as party-pooping? (This and other threads, so please don't take too much personal offense).

If it really had gone down, and it was me piloting, I'd be quite glad to see the authorities, assuming I did, and they didn't have little wings on their backs (or horns on their heads more likely).

Fly Stimulator
9th May 2003, 19:57
I always have a slight worry when I do PFLs that some well-meaning person on the ground will think that the aircraft really is in trouble and call out the emergency services to start searching for me.

Synthetic
10th May 2003, 22:30
Richy - Thankyou for that thought;)

FS - just a thought - would it be possible/feasible to alert the authorities that it is only a drill and no action is required?

IO540-C4D5D
11th May 2003, 01:07
There is a private farm strip between Worthing and Lancing, and often planes are seen to "disappear" in there and some people report it as a crash.

witchdoctor
11th May 2003, 01:46
Would be surprised if it was a pipeline or power line survey if the estimate of the altitude is correct. I fly similar surveys in a C150 and we usually operate much higher (2500' - 3500' AGL) in order to get approx 1km worth of pipeline/power line into the picture, and for any detailed checking of a power line we can't get slow enough which is why it tends to be chopper work.

However, we do get fairly low for other work and operate in steep turns close to the 'target' at lowish power settings to avoid as much noise nuisance as poss, so I can understand how some people at a distance might think there was something wrong, but we always (so far!) re-appear again shortly after.