PDA

View Full Version : Award for forced landing PPL

Mike Cross
9th May 2003, 00:21
The original thread is here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53902)

Congratulations to Chris Linton on winning the CAA General Aviation Safety Award (http://www.caa.co.uk/caanews/caanews.asp?nid=664).

Chris had a major engine failure in his Bonanza shortly after take-off from Shoreham last year with two passengers on board. He safely landed on the beach at Worthing with no power, a cockpit full of smoke and oil all over the windscreen.

The beers are on you tomorrow Chris!

Mike

FNG
9th May 2003, 00:27
Congratulations indeed. The AAIB report also commented on the very high standard of airmanship displayed by Mr Linton.

PS: Mike, your link seemed to point to the shortlist of three (the other two also deserving of congratulations). Here is the final announcement

http://www.caa.co.uk/caanews/caanews.asp?nid=673

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2003, 00:37
Jolly well done all 3 award winners.

However, and at the risk of subverting the thread, it has always troubled me that something called "Safety Awards" gets given to people who dealt with genuine emergencies. It does strike me that CAA should either award the "safety awards" to people who have done a great deal to prevent such accidents and incidents happening in the first place, or rename them the "good show awards", or some other name more appropriate to congratulatiing people like these who have done a very good job of handling a very real emergency.

Better still have two sets of awards and recognise people who made both types of safety contribution. Mind you looking at the names on the shortlist, at-least one of them would probably qualify for a gong on both counts.

G

tacpot
9th May 2003, 05:42
Congratulations to all these Pilots - although I suspect the safe outcome is probably of more personal value to them than the award, but to have some skill or achievement recognised is always pleasant.

That fact that any of these incidents could have been a very negative point for general aviation, but were converted into positive stories is a testiment to the skill of the Pilots and is definitely worth celebrating. It should alsoo reflect positively on the training, and licensing processes in the UK.

Well done to all concerned.

But Genghis is right, there are people who show a different sort of airmanship, that also need recognising. In fact it is probaly more important to recognise this form of airmanship or "safety sense" than the former kind, because it is one that we can all reasonably aspire to and achieve.

cblinton@blueyonder.
11th May 2003, 01:20
Mr Cross

Thankyou to everyone for their congrats it was a wonderful ceremony and we met some very interesting people.
Some very positive comments were made and hopefully we should get some help on the subject of the trouble we have had with the a/c since I made the forced landing.

Cheers to all!!!

Chris.

GATSR Survivor
16th Jun 2003, 20:13
As brother of the pilot (Chris Linton), and even after all this time (nearly a year ago now), I still thank my lucky stars that he handled an extremely tricky crash landing with true skill and professionalism especially considering the circumstances. His recent safety award from the CAA is certainly justified. I'm now looking forward to my maiden voyage in the newly restored Beech Bonanza with its smart new engine ...actually it'll be the first flight since the crash...phew....