PDA

View Full Version : Bush and Air Force One

PENKO
8th May 2003, 02:09
You guys remember Bush last week landing a US Navy jet on an aircraft carrier, shortly before his 'war is somewhat over' speech?
Anyway, I wonder about the call sign of this flight.
Would it be Air Force One?

(I'm bored, I know)

Anchorman
8th May 2003, 03:16
From what I read in the 'The Times', prior to his carrier deck escapade, it was due to be NAVY ONE, which as I understand has not been used for a very long time. I don't know however who was the previous crew or 'cargo' to have commandeered this title.:hmm:

46Driver
8th May 2003, 03:57
You are correct, Sir. It is NAVY ONE, just as when he flies in an Air Force jet it is AIR FORCE ONE, and when he flies in a Marine Corps helo it is MARINE ONE.
How is life in Palma? I do remember a fun spot down at a place called the Daiquiri Palace - is it still there?

PaperTiger
8th May 2003, 05:20
OK, when was the previous use of Navy One before GWB's trap ? Ditto Army One and Executive One although I don't know if the last one has ever been used.

And for good measure, what's the Secret Service codeword for GWB ? (Clinton was Eagle, Bush the elder Timberwolf, Reagan Rawhide).

Before anyone gets prissy, this ain't top-secret stuff.

TR4A
8th May 2003, 12:23
GWB's secret service code name is "Trailblazer" and Laura Bush's is "Tempo."

I. M. Esperto
9th May 2003, 02:25
He's now eligible for Tailhook Association membership.

Gordinho
9th May 2003, 17:43
My understanding was that the "Marine One" callsign was used every time he flew on the helo from the lawn so it's in used regularly

Flight Detent
9th May 2003, 18:27
Hi all,
I understood that GWB only piloted the aircraft for part of the flight, but not the actual approach or landing.

Did you see the final approach, it was quite good, and very stable, not like some I've seen.
But then again, only the best pilots would be permitted to fly GWB anywhere methinks!

Cheers

BlueEagle
9th May 2003, 19:14
Ditto that Flight Detent. On the news here they made it very clear that GWB did some of the straight and level and the regular Navy pilot did the landing.

steamchicken
9th May 2003, 22:52
I don't think anyone who knows anything at all about aviation would believe he landed-on all by himself. (After all, he's never done any naval flying, hasn't flown the S3B before, and I don't believe he's current on anything) The story that he didn't arrive in a F14 or F18 "for security reasons" is propaganda.

Why, d'you reckon, didn't he rock up in a chopper or a COD? Possibly because he wouldn't have had the opportunity of being photographed in full Top Gun flying rig? Utter political theatre. Apparently the whole exercise cost $1 million!

Bubbette
10th May 2003, 00:59
None of the press reports said that he landed it; he did take the controls though as he used to fly F-15s. The video should still be available on msnbc.com

yggorf
12th May 2003, 05:25
Just wondering: shouldn't the Secret Service's callsigns be secret?
And is there a toilet on Marine One ?

Brizzo
12th May 2003, 05:43
That would be Bathroom One?

TR4A
12th May 2003, 12:37
None of the press reports said that he landed it; he did take the controls though as he used to fly F-15s. The video should still be available on msnbc.com

He flew the F-102 in the Air National Guard.

I. M. Esperto
12th May 2003, 22:36
Bush's piloting years are to his credit, like his father's.

It is his political years that I don't approve of.

I still preferred him over Gore, but I can't believe that in the whole USA we couldn't have come up with 2 better canditates than these.

T_richard
12th May 2003, 23:34
Brizzo if he had to take a dump would that be Bathroom 2?

I. M. Esperto
13th May 2003, 00:05
In the Navy, it is called the HEAD.

AfricanSkies
13th May 2003, 00:47
Calling Turd 1 in Bathroom 1, come in...

NG_Kaptain
14th May 2003, 06:45
Dwight Eisenhower used to pilot an Aero Commander 560 during his tenure as it was easy to go into and out of Augusta Georgia where he used to play golf. Cant remember if it was an Armay aircraft or Air Force. He learned to fly in pre-war Phillipines when he was subordinate to Douglas McArthur.