PDA

View Full Version : Piper Arrow II

willbav8r
2nd May 2003, 09:36
Hoping some of you might have some pointers / experiences / unknown bits of info on this a/c that you would be kind enough to post here.

I have a few hrs in it, but more time in a Seminole.

Taking one down to SoCal via Nevada and would like any opinions etc.......

(other than don't forget to put the rollers down
:rolleyes: )

buzzc152
2nd May 2003, 17:12
Under the front passenger seat is a button that engages the secret hidden hyper-jets.

No, just kidding. I fly an Arrow II. If you have the 'shortened wing and fusalage model' like I have then points to watch for are higher the normal sink rate due to less lift. It can be a bit tricky on the flare. Some people I know like to leave a bit of power on in the flare but I don't think it's necessary. You can do with nil power without hitting hard on the runway.

Also it's a 5kts or so faster than your average arrow. Apart from that it's a dream to fly. AUto pilot is pretty funky too.

Vortex Thing
2nd May 2003, 19:33
Spent some time in Arrow tried a 180 three Hartzell blader and it is grossly underpowered. Tried a two bladed 200 and that was okay except for flying around with the rollers out.

As the last comment said she does like to sink on finals and I found that you didnt need to keep power on just leave it till later to chop it.

Have had to use the emergency gear selector twice to get the gear down. Whilst flying around with partial deployment you really notice that the power would be better maintained in the turbo variants.

I like them hope you enjoy yours.

Vortex

Ace Rimmer
3rd May 2003, 00:01
Yep I'm firmly in the leave a nadge of power on brigade - the question is just how much is a nadge and that is just a matter of experience or more accurately trial and error (too much and it floats too little and you'll rattle your fillings - get it just right and only the chirp or rumble of tyres give the point od contact away)
Nah you'll like the arrer 2 it may be short on wing area but that also gives you a great touring platform.

willbav8r
3rd May 2003, 01:55
I'll definately be searching for the hyper jet switch.

As for sink and flare, having done a few hrs in a Citab recently, I notice my circuits getting tighter. This might offset my previous "airline" 4 mile approaches :p
Still, I was of the mind to keep some power in or have some excess speed up to the fence. Nice long runways on my flight plan.

I can almost ALWAYS recognize my point of contact!!!!

Any tips for starting warm? Gear issues (thanks VT, this will be high up on my review list).

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Tinstaafl
3rd May 2003, 03:55
Find out about the auto-gear extension. It uses the same lever asthe emergency gear extension. When on, the gear will free fall if IAS drops below a certain value - typically close to or even faster speed than Vx or Vy. It uses the pitot head located near the pilot's side window.

This has ramifications for short field performance or go-arounds since the low speed means that the gear stays extended even though you have selected it up.

It can be selected off. There may have been an advisory notice or even an AD to disable it.