PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation of PPL

Tomb
30th Apr 2003, 21:58
What's the score with revalidating a PPL?

I was awarded the PPL in 1996 and let it expire in 1998 due to military flying. Could somebody give me an idea of the revalidation process please.

BEagle
1st May 2003, 00:11
As yours is a lifetime UK PPL, all you'll have to do is to complete sufficient refresher training with a FI to enable you to take the SEP renewal proficiency check with a Flight Examiner (PPL). No exams are needed, by the way - and if you have a FRTOL ('RT licence') that'll still be valid as it's less than 10 years since you last used it!

Once you've done the renewal proficiency check (which is pretty much the same in content as your PPL 'GFT' was back in 1996), you will need to send off the paperwork plus a 'rating variation fee' to the CAA (about £67, I think). But if you manage to get everything completed BEFORE 5 years have elapsed since the last date that your licence was valid, the FE can sign you up once you've passed the check and you won't need to send your licence off to the CAA or pay them anything! Also, if you have a current military fixed wing IR on anything from a Tutor to a Tornado or a TriStar, fill out the IMC Rating application form as well, include a copy of the appropriate page from your military logbook (signed by your boss and bearing your name) plus another £67-ish fee, send it off to the CAA and they'll include an IMC rating on your PPL(A).

If you'd like further info, please PM me.

Tomb
1st May 2003, 16:49
Thanks very much for that BEagle, I'll get onto that.