PDA

View Full Version : Seneca II Turbo Hire in Western USA?

Charlie Zulu
29th Apr 2003, 03:37
A couple of friends and myself are looking to hire an aeroplane over on the western states of America to tour for a couple of weeks next March / April (2004). There will be three of us in total, two of us licenced pilots and one a student pilot (will be just before his 17th birthday).

As I'll have an FAA CPL/IR with SEP and MEP ratings with around 500 Hours total time we are looking to hire a Seneca II Turbo or similar aircraft for two weeks. A Turbocharged aircraft would be more suitable due to the mountainous terrain.

I'll be flying around 50 hours in total on the Seneca and upon our return we'll change the aeroplane for an Arrow which my friend will be flying for a week (we are looking to go our for three weeks). The reason for him hiring an Arrow and not a Seneca is that he won't have an MEP rating.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations on where to hire a Seneca II Turbo or Seneca III from? Bearing in mind that I'll only have around 25 - 30 hours multi time including about 5 hours in a Seneca II Turbo (gained here in the UK) so insurance requirements may have some limitations to them.

I was looking at Rainbow Air's Seneca II Turbo as the rates seem very reasonable but the insurance requirements require 50 hours multi or 25 hours dual in their Seneca...

I've hired an Arrow and Archer from ADP at Brackett, L.A. in years gone by but they too have very high hour requirements (as in experience) to hire their Seneca's and they are only Seneca 1's so not very hot on the single engine performance.

Anyway any suggestions would be welcome. We would consider the East Coast also and fly up to New York / Chicago / New Orleans etc but we do find the Western states a lot more interesting in flying / sight seeing terms.

Also any suggestions for airfields in the Western States to camp at? We'd like to camp (we'll be taking a tent) but of course places like Las Vegas will require a hotel. Sacramento will be at my Uncle's house. A night over at Grand Canyon is called for and will be using the camp site I saw there whilst on a day trip back in September '01.

I've flown quite extensively around California, Arizona and Nevada so just really looking for multi aircraft rental / airfields that allow camping or camping nearby suggestions.

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Apr 2003, 05:21
CZ,

Did I miss something. Have you got the coveted paperwork (CPL/IR) in your sticky mitts already?!?!

Congrats.

To find something with less onerous experience requirements for flying the MEPs will be a bit of a struggle.

Sounds like a fun trip.

FD

Charlie Zulu
29th Apr 2003, 05:46
Hi Flyin'Dutch,

I will have an FAA CPL/IR next March / Apil (2004) *IF* I pass the FAA CPL/IR that I am going to San Diego for on June 12th.

Hopefully I'll pass, well I'm going to work my hardest to pass the orals, flight tests etc.

I was meant to be in Naples from 26th of April (two days ago) for a month but the flight school closed down.

As for the sourcing of a twin, I fear its going to be difficult also, thus the reason for asking for any advice / recommendations from fellow ppruners.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

OBK!
29th Apr 2003, 07:28
Air desert pacific have 2 or 3 senecas available for rental. They are located at Brackett airfield, near LAX. You can tour Nevada/California and Arizona to your hearts content...

www.airdesertpacific.com

cheers
obk

BlueRobin
29th Apr 2003, 16:37
Check CZ's requirements before making a suggestion!

http://www.airdesertpacific.com/aircraft/me_rent.htm
SOLO RENTER REQUIREMENTS

100 HOURS IN SENECA or
MEI or
ME INSTRUMENT, 100 HOURS ME, 25 HOURS SENECA or
ME INSTRUMENT, 25 HOURS SENECA - LIMITED TO 1 PASSENGER UNTIL 100 HOUR ME

Charlie Zulu
29th Apr 2003, 17:24
Hi OBK!

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already ruled Air Desert Pacific out as I'll have nowhere near the required number of hours for them. Besides although I like their Arrow III and a few of their Archers, their Seneca's are Seneca 1's.

Even if I did have their minimum requirements then I'd be limited to one passenger until 100 Hours Total Seneca time... there are three of us going in total.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

18greens
29th Apr 2003, 17:25
If you are going to sandiego check out (if you haven't already) plus one flyers at Montgomery.

They have a huge range of planes at reasonable prices and experience requirements. ?They may not have a seneca but try them.

www.plusone.org