PDA

View Full Version : CCAT/Cabair CGI

DoItInverted_220
26th Apr 2003, 21:43
Do any other CCAT students find that the CGI at this school is arrogant and patrionising towards the students?

He seems to forget that he works for a business and not the military and that the students are customers!

r_bonham-carter
27th Apr 2003, 02:52
Yes, very - though I have no idea why he behaves in this way.
Insecurity perhaps?!

badattitude781
27th Apr 2003, 03:04
I'm sorry to hear that you are having these troubles. Its a difficult situation when an instructor behaves badly. How do other members of your course feel about the CGI? If there were a few of you that had concerns about his behaviour it may be worth taking it to a senior manager. As you said, you are a customer paying an awful lot of money and there is no excuse for that kind of behaviour. It sounds like he is not suited to this profession!

Fly_146
27th Apr 2003, 22:23
Yes but just get your exams and get out of there. You won't achieve anything by making your voice heard.

We tried it with another instructor - in fact a few courses had words with those who walk the 'corridors of power' to no avail. :*

Good luck!

DoItInverted_220
28th Apr 2003, 00:52
Thanks Fly_146,

I can imagine that they wouldnt take any notice of the complaints.
Interesting to hear that other courses have been down this route already. Doesnt say much for their Groundschool!

Onwards and Upwards.

veritas
29th Apr 2003, 01:35
Any complaints or concerns about the way we conduct our training will always be given the credibility they deserve; whilst I am not prepared to enter into any public debate about any particular issue on this forum, I am more than prepared to listen to - and take note from - any customer who is prepared to take advantage of my open door policy face to face.

Graham Austin
Chief Executive CCAT

Fly_146
29th Apr 2003, 05:12
CPL student to CEO in 18 months! :D

Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3543)

Go-Around
29th Apr 2003, 22:27
Have to disagree I'm afraid.
Found CGI to be very helpful, there's no way I would have passed Nav otherwise.
So you don't get on with everyone, who does?
In fact, I've not got any complaints at all with CCAT groundschool.
GA

scroggs
30th Apr 2003, 00:29
Interesting. Mr Austin, were you really a student at SFT in November 2001? Or were you using Pprune for your own purposes, as maybe others are here?

Notwithstanding the little dig, I strongly recommend that any customer of Cabair (or any other training provider) who feels that the service provided by the staff does not meet their expectations should bring their concerns to the senior management. Now. You may not (in fact, should not) get immediate satisfaction, but you should expect your concerns to be listened to and noted. If an individual staff member repeatedly has complaints made about them, and investigation shows those complaints to be valid, commercial common sense will remove the problem in due course. That may not help you directly, but you all have a responsibility to those who come after you. Whispering campaigns are a waste of time - have the courage and the decency to stand up for what you believe to be right. And always remember that you are the customer, and can take your business elsewhere.

Scroggs

fly-dj
30th Apr 2003, 00:58
I know not everybody gets on with everybody else but :

arrogant and patrionising towards the students

I think not!! Do you have another CGI?? Being a current CCAT student and having just finished a block of ground school I have found all of the instructors to be top-notch, the CGI is one of the best.

However, whatever you may think, I am not sure that an anonymous forum is the place to make your views known, why not have the courage of your convictions and talk to the management or god forbid the CGI himself as others have suggested, I cant see how sounding off here helps your situation in any way.

Jinkster
1st May 2003, 01:17
Cabair CGI is very good and the best instructor I have ever had.

cortilla
9th May 2003, 22:36
have to agree with jinkster. if it wasn't for him then i would never ever have passed my atpl subjects first time. cheers for that p. he may be a bit rough on the edges and harsh with some students, but they are the students that need it, and if you can't cope with a bit of a deserved b*****cking every now and again well ..........

clubley
21st May 2003, 20:11
The only thing good I can say about CCAT is their CGI. I found his knowledege of MET, NAV, Flt Planning, Mass & Balance to be exceptional, as well as is his instruction in the subjects.

The only exams that I did not struggle with are those he taught and filled in on.

Perhaps his attitude is due to the fact of his long military service as an Officer, as with my military service as an Officer, old habbits die hard. Thats not an excuse, for poor customer relations in the commercial world, but perhaps if you spoke with him and explained how you felt, he might understand and start to re-adjust.

But surely (Don't call me Shirley) the point is, can you pass your exams!

I wish he taught POF and Perf!

Regards:ok:

Jinkster
23rd May 2003, 05:30
Well said mr clubley

BritishBoy69
24th May 2003, 03:12
I don't know how anyone can have a go at Cabair's CGI, he is without doubt the best instructor in the groundschool, and he gets subjects accross clearer than any teacher I've ever had including schools and colleges. If he has a go at you, it's because you deserve it, there is no argument about that. He is very approachable if you have a problem, and will take time out to explain anything to you. His subjects are the only ones that go quickly and are very enjoyable!! He has the highest respect from everyone in my class and the overall opinion is that these acusations are complete 'pish'. There are many things that are not good about Cabair, but he is not one of them!! :*

JT8
24th May 2003, 04:29
The CGI is top notch and CCAT groundschool excellent.

springbok449
24th May 2003, 15:44
Well if the CGI is still the same than when I was there, must agree with the last few postings then, a top bloke, funny good at squash but he does expect high standards and takes no bull**** from people with attitute.
Certainly the best ground instructor in my Cabair days...

Whispering Giant
26th May 2003, 16:02
I have just spent a week at Cabair doing my final residential week for the last of my ATPL exam's and this is the first time that i had the CGI as one of my instructors' and i must say that i agree with all the previous comment's about him - he's a top guy, great instructor and explains things really well..
He's definetly one of the best.............

Regards

W.G. :ok: :ok:

Captain Flashheart
11th Jun 2003, 05:38
I am going to have to throw my hat into the ring here and say that I think the CGI is very good. I did fail mass and balance by one percent but thats because I am a gob****e and nothing really to do with his teaching, which I found to be excellent.

Jinkster
11th Jun 2003, 17:22
Any problems Mr Austin and I am sure that many people in here will back the CGI as a fantastic and professional instructor.

Jinkster

Polar Maritime
11th Jun 2003, 19:27
Is it Jinkster or is it Monkey?

Heathrow09L
20th Mar 2004, 13:41
Thinking of joining Cabair, is this CGI really bad or good??? All I want is good teaching.

Thank you in advance.

Jinkster
20th Mar 2004, 17:03
The Cabair CGI is a super star - very down to earth bloke, fantastic teacher and can definately recommend him.

Artificial Horizon
20th Mar 2004, 20:33
CGI at CCAT is a great bloke, never to busy to give you some extra help. His knowledge is top class and can make the most difficult subjects fairly straight forward.

He will not tolerate people who don't put the work in, so maybe this is the cause of your problems.

He is the best instructor I have come across in all of my ground studies.

A.H.:)

mesh
22nd Mar 2004, 11:51
just comming upto ist Nav Jar, find very hard as a subject. Would fing it impossible if CGI wasn't teaching it. In short he is the best teacher you could ever ask for. If you want to doss around then don't come here for you will be given short thrift, and thank god for that.

M

FlyingTom
22nd Mar 2004, 17:36
Unless the CGI position is occupied by someone new I really can't understand this post. The person I know was the best ground instructor I have ever had. In fact I would say that one of Cabair's strong points was the ground school.

To emphasize the point I am an ex Cabair employee so I am hardly likely to sing their praises but this guy was quite simply the best.

I hope if he reads this thread he is not disheartened because I know a lot of people who think extremely highly of him.

All the best and thankyou for the Met lectures.

moo
23rd Mar 2004, 14:23
could any ex-cabair students out there comment on the course, the accomodation, the facilities, the university.....(and the women of course??! :E )

Bobby Guzzler
24th Mar 2004, 23:02
I have to agree with most hear to say the 'the Hardie' is one of the best around.

Don't know who started this post but can imagine them now as a bit lazy with the don't give a toss attitude - tended not to take to those kind of people funnily enough (would you?). For all the rest of us he was an absoulte gem. Taught me, I'm at Gee Dubya on a 73 - the man's a living legend (and sh1t hot at all the subjects).;)

finals24
30th Mar 2004, 19:52
I agree with the previous comments. the Cabair ground school is excellent. I have recently completed the distance learning course. Whilst the manuals leave much to be desired, all the instructors were first class with the CGI being the best of a very good bunch.

Finals24

Grifflan
8th Apr 2004, 13:38
Some of the manuals arent very good but the feedback is exelente. Mr. Hardie is pretty good, sometimes he takes this stuff to personal but he allways delivers.

jocksaway69
9th Apr 2004, 13:22
Just to add my peace left Cabair over 3 years ago and if it wasn't for the CGI taking me for extra (un paid for) classes during lunch and after classes I never would have made it.....

3rd class through the JAA system so had it a bit rough.....

Thanks a lot Mr H you don't deserve anything but praise!

pigsmayfly
20th Apr 2004, 09:27
I was saddened and shocked to read the initial thread. The CGI at Cabair gave me help and support above and beyond the call of duty and kept me going in groundschool during a dreadful period of my life.

The groundschool is hard work. Those that don't apply themselves won't pass. Frankly, if some students get a kick, they probably deserve it and should be grateful that someone is bothered to give you that kick. After all, what is it to the instructors if students don't want to pass? They already have their qualifications!

In the hope this reaches you - thank you Mr H. I hope to see you next time I call into Cranfield.

dreamingA380
28th Apr 2004, 12:02
Just stumbled across this thread and felt it necessary to add that the CGI at CCAT is probably the best ground instructor I have ever come across. He knows his field so well that if you dont understand a particular point he will explain it in a dfferent way. Most instructors can only repeat the point, but not so with the CGI. Not only is he a very knowledgeable chap, but I found him extremely approachable, supportive and fair.

I think perhaps if you have rubbed him up the wrong way you probably deserved it. Try pitching up on time and listening.

'Inverted' Not only are you a dickweed, but you are also a coward for attacking someone anonymously.

Mr H, I thankyou for all your support in getting me through a difficult course at a difficult time.

scroggs
28th Apr 2004, 12:34
I think probably enough has been said here. I don't approve of personalities being discussed on this forum, and you'll find we do have rules about this - which you all signed up to. The instructor in question has been soundly supported by sufficient ex-students to amply counter the original allegations, and I think there the matter should rest.

Scroggs