PDA

View Full Version : Polzeath airstrip

Dude~
24th Apr 2003, 20:50
Has anyone got Lockyears farm strip guide handy? Would you mind looking up the airfields in Polzeath, Cornwall please? I know thers are two. One is part of the Roserow golf club which I believe is 900m. I am particularly interested in the other one, which is pretty short and sloping, but I need hard facts.

It might be listed as Trenant Steading Strip or something.

Cheers

M14P
24th Apr 2003, 21:00
I can only find Trenderway Farm - 400m long 13 NM WSW of Plymouth. Looks like you need a share in a Wilga! See my other thread :D

Dude~
24th Apr 2003, 21:09
Cheers for looking M14.

I dont think the one I have in mind is listed as I am sure I've tried to find it before when browsing in the Transair shop. I'll have to ask the owner next time I'm down there for the surf.

Besides, I spoke to the owners son and he said its roughly 1600ft long and although its got a hefty downslope, its also got trees and powerlines and a sloping approach. He didnt mention whether or not its in the books. Probably not ideal for an Arrow anyway. THink I'll land at the golf club. Bet they know how to charge though!

Ta

Spiney Norman
24th Apr 2003, 22:12
Re Rosserrow, (The golf & Country club).....
07/25 Grass 600x20m. PPR by telephone essential on 01208 863000. Or Fax:01208 863002. Landing Fee before April £12. Info from the 2003 UK VFR Flight guide. Hope that helps.

Spiney.

BlueRobin
24th Apr 2003, 22:55
There's also a good online strip guide on:

http://www.devonstrut.co.uk

Looks a good place to send my Jodel on holiday (moi lover, ooar, etc) :E

QDMQDMQDM
25th Apr 2003, 01:41
I went into Roserrow yesterday and closely inspected Trenant farm, which is the other one and which it was the original plan to go into. It's not for the faint-hearted. I'd take the Super Cub in, but only in the right conditions -- yesterday it was blowing a good 20+ knots across. PM me for more info.

QDM

Martinburney
25th Apr 2003, 03:21
Hi

Apart from the Roserrow Strip tel 01208-863000, at grid ref SW947776 or Lat / Long N5033-W00454

And Trenant owned by Bob Love, tel 01208-862407
at Grid ref SW945794 or Lat ? Long N5033-W00454

There used to be a strip at Borlasevath Farm
grid ref Sw940675 or Lat / Long N5028-W00454, but I think this is now closed.

Regards Martrin Burney

Dude~
25th Apr 2003, 16:03
Thanks very much for the details Martin. Out of interest, where are they published?

QDM, better check your PMs.

Cheers

QDMQDMQDM
25th Apr 2003, 20:11
Dude,

Have you got a PM from me? Mine isn't registering as sent.

QDM

Keef
26th Apr 2003, 04:01
In the "box" between 50 26N and 50 38N, and between 4 31W and 5W, there are the following in my "airfields history list":

Newquay (Trebelzue)
St Eval - closed
St Mawgan
Padstow
St Merryn - closed
Padstow (Crugmeer) - closed
Borlasevath Farm - rumoured closed 1997.
Polzeath (Roserrow G & C Club)
Wadebridge
St Austell (Sticker) - closed
Roche (Woodland Barton Farm)
St Austell (Rocky Parc) - closed
Treligga - closed
Bodmin
Davidstow Moor
Looe (Trenderway Farm)

Trenant isn't in my list - must check it out!

QDMQDMQDM
26th Apr 2003, 06:11
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=195000&Y=80000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&scale=50000&advanced=&multimap.x=298&multimap.y=262

It's just to the west side of the Trenant farm buildings in the map, but it's only 900 feet and tricky.

Keef, where does your list come from? I didn't know there was a strip at Padstow. I'd be very surprised if there's an operative one.

QDM

Keef
26th Apr 2003, 07:06
QDM - it's a list that's been in compilation for several years, as a "tool" for those occasions when historical/statistical information is needed to defend our fast-dwindling airfield infrastructure. It's been used "in anger" several times.

It's the "property" of A4A (Action for Airfields) - see the website. I'm the "volunteer compiler". I thought I was in for an easy job when I started, years ago! Right now I've got about a week's worth of full-time effort waiting, to input and cross-check the stuff I've received in the past couple of months.

Many excellent and knowledgeable people have contributed, and it's as complete as any list I know. It includes all the airfields in the Action Stations series, all those in CAP481, all those on the CAA charts, and in most of the major flight guides since WW2. It's got all the inter-war AA Landing Grounds, and so on and so on ad nauseam.

The best part is the way pilots who know come back to me with information about some of the "uncertain" fields. One Scots helicopter pilot visited the "queries" in his area and sent me back full details on the status of them all.

It's not fully complete or up to date (never will be), but serves its purpose. The biggest problem is finding out when private strips close - I'm sure that many on the list are closed, but of course nobody "notifies" closure.

I've also had great fun with airfields that have several names - there are many with three and a few with four names, all listed in various sources, and sometimes duplicated. I've got a geographic cross-checking routine that identifies potential duplicates.

The strangest thing has been the way people have begged me for a copy; in the past, I've make a CDROM (it's a BIG file), and posted it off. Most never even bothered to acknowledge receipt. Some promised to send back information on their own area/airfields - but nothing came. There are honourable exceptions, of course - including quite a few PPRuNers. I now ask for a fiver donation to A4A funds, and the requests have just about ceased ;)

Padstow: it's a private strip at 50 30N 004 59W. Information from the CAA so likely to be accurate. It may well be closed now: it was reported "open" in 1996 (the last information I have).

There was also a WW1 strip at Padstow (Crugmeer) 50 33N 004 58W. That closed in 1919 and there is apparently now no trace of it there.

Skippymon
28th Apr 2003, 18:25
I wanted to attach a picture but couldnt so heres a link to mulit map. It is an aerial view of Roserrow golfclub, Polzeath.

Can QDM or anyone eles, indicate where the runway is on this picture please?!

There seem to be straight bits and bunkers everywhere. I know its east west, so is it the straight bit near the top left of the golf club, with five bunkers on its perimeter and a upwards kink about a third of its length from left?!

Cheers

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=194313&y=77799&scale=10000&width=700&height=410

BlueRobin
28th Apr 2003, 19:50
Hopefully near the 19th hole! :d :ok:

QDMQDMQDM
28th Apr 2003, 22:58
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&x=194313&y=77299&scale=10000&width=500&height=310

It's to the south of the clubhouse. It's the long dark strip of grass, adjacent to the ploughed fields immediately to the south of it. You can see the ditch running along the north side of the first third of the western end.

QDM

Martinburney
2nd May 2003, 16:03
Hi All

Someone asked where I got my information from, on Airstrips.

This has come from numerous sources, over the years.

I have a database of over 5500 Airfields Past & Present, in the UK & Ireland, as well as a seperate list of Helipads ( over 2500 )

I can send a list of an individual county of these, to anybody on request, by direct e mail

I am always interested to hear of obscure airstrips especially new ones, as well as farmstrips.

Regards Martin Burney