PDA

View Full Version : Re-Covering Fabric Aircraft

Vick Van Guard
17th Apr 2003, 23:37
I was just wondering if anybody out there owns a fabric covered aircraft, who has had it recovered recently.

I am looking at buying an Auster which made need a partial /full recover job and have no idea how much this might cost.

Anybody any ideas what an aircraft of this size would cost to be professionally done or the cost of materials if I were attempt to do it myself.

Can anybody recommend a maintenance organaisation who can do this kind of work?

Thanks for your help.

Vick:ok:

Kingy
18th Apr 2003, 00:02
Hi Vick,

This is a very difficult question to answer because you never know what you may find lurking underneath when the old fabric is removed and many full restorations have been started this way.

Lets assume that all is OK underneath (a big assumption); a full recover will take maybe 150 - 200 hrs hard work. It is possible to do the work yourself as it is not too hard once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure of the implications of the aircraft being on a full CofA as regards doing it yourself but it is not a problem on a PFA aircraft. Once covered and primed you need to think about painting it...

I'm guessing, but I recon it would cost in the region of £2-3K to get done professionally.

What I am really saying is don't underestimate the cost of the job and don't be surprised if extra work is needed over and above 'just' a re-cover.

I wouldn’t pay more than 5 grand for an Auster needing a re-cover.

Hope this has been of some use.

Kingy

Edited to say: Vick from your profile I see that you are a licensed engineer - so no problems doing the work yourself even if the aircraft is on a full CofA.

Skylark4
18th Apr 2003, 06:14
I`ve done a bit of re-covering on gliders and it`s not hard but there is a fair bit of Knackery to it. You get to be quite good the third time around. The modern Rayon type fabrics are not too expensive but the dopes and paints are - and you use far more of them than you expect.
Have a look in the Light Aero Spares catalogue, there are some books available from Ceconite (I think) and a good article about refinishing in the cat. itself.

Mike W

LowNSlow
18th Apr 2003, 07:05
VVG if you are not doing it yourself, forget it. A top class Auster is worth 12-15k tops (speaking as an Auster owner).

As Kingy says, its a 250-300 hr job at £20/hour that makes £5-6,000 in my book plus a £2-3,000 spray job that makes a £7-9,000 piece of work. This makes me agree with kingy that if the aerolane is ging to cost more than £5k, don't do it. :}

After saying that, love your Auster and look after a piece of history :cool:

gasax
18th Apr 2003, 15:23
I'm part way through doing this to an Auster - the material cost is over £3500 - and that was buying as cheaply as possible (direct import from US).

Typical cost of a commercial recover is £7k plus (you might even say plus plus).

Having said that the majority of recovers are actually done for cosmetic reasons, the aircraft starts to look sooo tatty that eventually something has to be done. If the uv protection is intact and was well applied initially there is every prospect the fabric is ok. It does deteriorate - but we're talking 20 plus years for synthetic materials.

Best of luck

stiknruda
18th Apr 2003, 17:46
Doing it yourself is not too difficult.

Doing it yourself and making it look good is far more difficult.

Should you decide to do it yourself (probably the decision that has been hinted at above by LnS, etc) then I suggest that you find someone who has a good reputation re fabric-work and see if he will allow you to be an "apprentice" for a couple of days whilst he recovers something similar.

I had such a "master-class" before covering my pride and joy and it gave me the confidence, techniques and tips to do a fine job.

Where are you based?

Stik

QDMQDMQDM
19th Apr 2003, 03:34
Join the International Auster Club, peopled by lots of men with grease under their fingernails who can tell you the serial number of every Auster ever built, who owned them, what they're doing now and the thread size of their engine mounting bolts etc. They're very friendly and will advise and help out. There are a series of Auster flyins through the year where you'll get advice in person. I'd have thought Kemble, the G-VFWE, on May 10-12 would be a good start if you can make it. Many Austers will be there.

Alternatively, make a trip down to Eggesford and chat to Richard Webber, who is based here and has 2,500 hours in Austers and has rebuilt many of them. He's re-covering a Mk 6 at the moment.

QDM

AC-DC
19th Apr 2003, 03:51
Recently I was looking to re-cover and re-spray a Super Cub, the quote was £10k.:{

Vick Van Guard
22nd Apr 2003, 17:49
Hi Guys

Thank you very much for your response's, they have beeen very helpful.

I guess not unlesss you are prepared to write off a lot of money a commercial recover job is not on the cards for an Auster.

Although I am a Licensed Aircraft Engineer, I have not really been involved with fabricing before, I think I doped some fabric tape on a Herald once, (showing my age a bit!). Will certainly try to get to the G-VFWE at Kemble as I am off shift that weekend.

I can recommend the Auster club to anyone with a passing interest in Austers, the magazine is always a good read.

One last thing which made me smile. I checked out the Light Aero Spares website and noted that ceconite is sold in 70'' widths and different imperial weights but you have to buy it in metres!

:*