PDA

View Full Version : Using US private licence in UK/Europe

Bluebeard777
14th Apr 2003, 23:53
Maybe someone can shed light on my questions regarding operating on a US FAA private certificate without a CAA or JAA licence (these questions relate to day VFR only) :

1. Are there any restrictions on flying a UK registered aircraft in the UK (compared with having a CAA-issued licence)?
2. Are there any restrictions on flying a UK registered aircraft outside the UK?
This has 2 parts:
2.1 As far as the CAA is concerned (restrictions flying over water?)
2.2 As far as other European aviation authorities (e.g. France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands etc) are concerned?
3. Are any of the answers to the above different if the aircraft is on a permit instead of C of A (my questions relate to the pilot only, not the aircraft)?

Light on these topics will be gratefully recd.

Hufty
15th Apr 2003, 00:40
Hi Bluebeard - my understanding is:

1. No, none, assuming day VFR only. You are correct that your night privileges will not be valid in the UK on a G-reg aircraft.

2. Yes, you can only operate a UK registered aircraft in UK airspace although there is no restriction on flying over water (so you could hop across the Thames no bother)!

3. Sorry, don't know.

Hope this helps. I have an FAA licence but best to contact the CAA for the definitive rules and regs. Some flying schools will tell you that you have to convert your licence to JAR - not true. :rolleyes:

All the best

StrateandLevel
15th Apr 2003, 02:29
The relevant legislation is Article 21(4)(a)

The law does not say day VFR but , says "shall not fly in controlled air space in circumstances that require compliance with IFR." Therefore if your licence permits IFR flight, you can fly IFR outside controlled airspace.

There is no night restriction, but as all night flight in the UK is in accordance with the IFR, then you would need a licence that permits IFR flight. In controlled airspace you can fly SVFR at night.

Once you leave the UK it is up to the State you are flying over as to whether they will accept a UK reg aircraft and a FAA licence. France will, and so may other States but, some may insist on a local validation.

The aircraft C of A makes no difference except that you cannot legally hire a private cat or permit aircraft.

Thrifty van Rental
15th Apr 2003, 02:38
StrateandLevel

You imply that France will accept a G registration aircraft in its airspace if the pilot only holds an FAA licence.

So far as I am aware, that is not the case. The FAA licence must be validated by the DGAC first. Once validated, the licence may be used in line with ICAO recommendations.

TvR

Keef
15th Apr 2003, 03:05
TvR is right. An FAA PPL/IR is still only valid for day VFR within the UK in a G-reg. You can apply for a UK IMC rating (and pay the fee), but I don't know if that covers you for night flight in the UK - probably does.

Once you leave UK airspace, you need permission from the country you are visiting.

The simple rule, not 100% accurate but works well, is "two out of three". The three are country of flight, country of reg of aircraft, country of licence issue.

FAA PPL in G-reg in UK = 2/3 so OK.

FAA PPL in G-reg in France = 1/3 so nogo.

Added ratings on foreign licences are generally not recognised.

I know it's silly, but with an FAA ATPL/IR you can't fly a G-reg in France at all (unless you talk to the DGAC and get a validation). Change it to N-reg and you can fly airways, Class A airspace, the lot. They had to draw the line somewhere, and that's where they chose.

englishal
15th Apr 2003, 04:57
1) The only restrictions apply to IFR...in fact you can still operate as a JAA VFR pilot would, while flying on an FAA PPL in a G reg. The IR will give the IMC but only issued onto a JAA / CAA licence, the CAA will not issue an IMC rating onto a US held certificate. If you have additional foreign ratings, such as the ME rating, you are entitled to exercise these privileges in a G reg aircraft without formality.

2) I wrote to the DGAC and asked them if they would accept an FAA certificate in a G reg aircraft. They said as long as the CAA accept it then they would accept it, so yes you can. On the subject of the IR and IMC, they do not accept the IMC and only accept the same rules as the CAA do with regards to flying outside CAS. [They basically said that whatever the CAA accept then they too accept...including the ME thing above]

2.1) No restrictions on over water flight

2.2) See above. Best check with each governing body to be sure. The Germans are happy to accept it as are the French. With regards to France the only time a validation is required is if you are applying for a French licence to be issued by virtue of your FAA licence. The French will not issue a validation unless you are from outside the EEC, and then they are happy to give you a licence [jobs for the Euro boys and girls I expect].

3) dunno I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

Rgds
EA:D

Bluebeard777
15th Apr 2003, 05:07
I reckoned there was no point asking the CAA about my question 2.2 as they would (reasonably) just say this is a matter for the aviation authority of each country.

It would be a real drag to have to apply periodically to each country potentially to be visited. I understand that validating an FAA licence in Spain (for example) takes many weeks, requires a fee, and is valid only for 1 year or until next required medical if less.

Does anyone have a database of country-by-country authorities to contact? The PFA site has a list for getting authority for aircraft, rather than pilots.

Regarding the "two out of three" rule, is this to mean that one couldn't for example fly a F- registered aircraft in Germany with a UK licence?

This is all very murky.

Thrifty van Rental
15th Apr 2003, 05:20
This is a subject which confuses our DGAC, and conflicting answers are not uncommon in different letters.

There is no 2 out of 3 rule. As Keef is saying, this is a guideline to help you to understand the general principles. It is frequently an inaccurate guide in JAR land.

My advice, would be for you to contact the DGAC before making such a flight, and get the advice in writing.

Without such a letter, you could find yourself in the chocolate if you are involved in an incident.

TvR

bookworm
15th Apr 2003, 14:40
In principle, states are required by the Chicago Convention to recognise not only licences issued by the state of registration of aircraft but also licences rendered valid by the state of registration. That means that you should be able to use an FAA licence in a G-reg in France under the same conditions as you would in the UK. I believe the DGAC takes this view, but as others have said it may be worth checking.