PDA

View Full Version : Proposed visit to UK AIS at Heathrow

Mike Cross
10th Apr 2003, 21:08
Phil Bate, the Manager of UK AIS has suggested that it might be possible to arrange a visit to the UK AIS office at Heathrow.

Not sure about date and numbers that could be accommodated yet.

A weekday visit would allow us to see the whole thing in operation, weekends would probably have only the duty staff there.

Any takers?

Mike Cross

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2003, 21:41
Mike,

If there's any chance of visiting West Drayton while you're there, I'd recommend it. That's what BRL organised last December - absolutely fantastic visit, and for anyone who's not sure whether to sign up for this, I'd say definitely go for it!

In the (very unlikely) event that you're short of numbers, then put me down for it. But since I've been there, done it once already, I'll let others have a go this time.

FFF
--------------

drauk
11th Apr 2003, 00:34
Yes please, week day or weekend.

slow_bird1
11th Apr 2003, 02:47
Yes please!!!! any chance of a tower visit at the same time??

Cusco
11th Apr 2003, 02:48
Yes Please:

Weekday or weekend, though I'll have to cross the day job duty rota bridge when the date is announced.

Safe flying

Cusco

Barney_Gumble
11th Apr 2003, 03:28
Yes please :)

Evo
11th Apr 2003, 05:56
Mmmm :)

tomcs
11th Apr 2003, 07:47
Yup...i'm up for that!! A welcome break from ATPL's! :)

Tom

CPilotUK
12th Apr 2003, 01:39
I listen daily to the approach frequencies on my Icom scanner and would really like to be included on this visit.

Please count me in.

mumraaa
13th Apr 2003, 02:51
yes please,

a;fljafl;jafjadslj

brockenspectre
13th Apr 2003, 03:01
oh yes please - having flown out of LHR (as pax) so often over the past years I would love to be included here!

:D

phnuff
14th Apr 2003, 03:26
yes please (however can realisticaly only do weekends)

Mike Cross
22nd Apr 2003, 20:25
Phil Bate, Manager UK AIS is hoping to set a date this week.
The plan is for it to be midweek (only the duty officers being on duty at weekends).

We are hoping to get the main Conference Room. This used to be the Approach Radar Room and is the one with the sloping windows in this picture (http://www.freefoto.co.uk/preview.jsp?id=20-10-52)

It's situated in the main Control Tower building slap in the middle of LHR.

As you can imagine, with windows on three sides the view is pretty stupendous so bring your binoculars.

UK AIS is responsible for the UK AIP and for NOTAM. It also holds a library of foreign AIP's, which will be of particular interest to anyone planning an epic trip. Staff tend to have come from an ATC background working at LHR, LGW and other major ATC centres so there will also be some interesting conversation.

Mike