PDA

View Full Version : I've just been in and out of Tenerife South

Capn Notarious
9th Apr 2003, 17:26
Hallo
We approached Tenerife from the West and flew around the tip, and I think the runway 28/08.
1, Is this done to create separation with out bound flights on 08.
2, Does in from the west/out from the east always apply, if the winds, are appropriate.
3, When I went to Feurteventura, it appearred that we were East of the Island and made a right hand descending turn to finals.
4, Does the fact that Feurteventura is smaller, mean that reduced traffic does recquire a flight around the Island.
And last but not least.
While inbound to Tenerife. Oncoming flights were seen below as you hard working crews take Mr and Mrs Holiday maker home.
If I head back to the Canaries,(Tenerife?)Which is the best side to sit for photographs.

Yours truly, a well behaved passenger.
.Thinks. I recognised the first officer who is also a rotary pilot and flies A109's

Localiser Green
9th Apr 2003, 17:38
The arrival and departure routes for TFS depend on the runway in use (which, in turn depends as usual on the wind direction).

When Runway 08 is in use arriving aircraft will track West of the island then turn inland towards the southern tip where the airport is located for a staight-in landing.

Departing aircraft take-off to the east in this situation and track north towards TFN, off the east coast of the island.

When r/w 26 is in use the opposite occurs, arriving aircraft track down the east of the island then turn inland towards the airport and departing aircraft make a right turn and track north clear of the west coast then turn right towards TFN and beyond.

The main reason for this is the high ground which makes up the majority of the island almost anywhere north of the airport (hence aircraft climbing and descending over the sea).

Fuerteventura is a bit different, N/S runway on the east side of the island with arrivals from and to the north east means generally all aircraft will track towards the airport from the north east (Lanzarote way) for either runway then join downwind or out to the ILS for r/w 01.

So I think the answer to your question is that at TFS the traffic flow is mainly a result of avoidance of high ground rather than traffic separation, though it nicely serves that purpose too.