PDA

View Full Version : 737 800 seating of pax and balance

Irishwingz
7th Apr 2003, 23:03
I was on a Ryanair flight from DUB to LGW last Wednesday. The flight attendants would only let us sit between rows 6 and 28 - leaving 6 rows between us front and back. One passanger got stroppy and quizzed the girl who said it was 'Captains Command', she said the reason was that with 80 pax they had to balance the aircraft.

I've been on several flights on the -200 and this never happened - is this specific to the 800 - longer plane hence balance to reduce risk of tailstrike?

Thanks

wobblyprop
7th Apr 2003, 23:09
CC usually rope of the first few rows when they can so they don't get SLF gawking at them during take-off and landing.

G-AMMY
8th Apr 2003, 04:19
As a Ryanair dispatcher the rule is, when passenger loads are 177 or less on the 737-800, loading rule 2 is used. This involves blocking off the first 2 rows of the aircraft and allows the aircraft to remain within the trim limits. Why the cabin crew blocked off 6 rows is beyond me. It may be for the exact reason that 'wobblyprop' said. On the 737-200, for rule 2 to be used, the passenger load has to be around 50 or less. In this case though, the first and last 5 rows are blocked off and the passengers should be evenly balanced in front of and aft of the wing. Hope this answers your question.

:D

Irishwingz
8th Apr 2003, 23:10
Cheers lads - it was a bit of minor curiosity. The people sitting beside me though it was a stunt so the cc would have less of an area to 'patrol' - people can be a bit cynical on Ryanair, the attendant could have been a bit nicer - but no, I am not bashing them, on both flights they were early and super efficient. Thats all you want at the end of the day!

Iaingrant
9th Apr 2003, 02:28
If G-MAMMY is a dispatcher with FR they would know that if the flight is booked to less than 177 pax then only the 1st 2 rows are blocked of and not the last. They would also know that if the load is less than 133 then the 1st 6 and last 4 rows must be blocked of this is to keep the a/c in trim for take off and landing the pax are free to move into these seats after take off but must return before landing.
I think G-MAMMY sould look at the load sheet again as their are dispatching the aircraft possible out off trim.

G-AMMY
9th Apr 2003, 02:49
Iaingrant, I hope your mathematics is as good as your grammar! I hope that I never travel on a Ryanair flight that you dispatch! You're PATHETIC! :D

Its G-AMMY, not G-MAMMY! Get it right!