PDA

View Full Version : Fiso

Tonic Please
7th Apr 2003, 21:41
Hi. I am sitting the FISO examination on 24th April at Gatwick this year. I have spoken to the lady with regard to how to fill out the entry slip, and send the fee etc. Well, I am excempt from sitting met and nav due to my pilot license, however, I must do 40 hours like everyone else at the aerodrome I wish to work at until I can go "solo" on the job if you like...

My question is simply what is the pay. Fairoaks told me 15K plus and 25p/h call out. Any other airfield near me in Weybride have the training facility and then possibility of employment?

This is not a job request, just if anyone can give me a little mroe information as I cannot get it anywhere esle.

Smooth skies,

Dan :)

Ascot
7th Apr 2003, 22:44
It depends where you go, who owns the airport, the type of airfield etc. For example, Shobdon is FIS at weekends, their pay is very basic as people seem to do it for a hobby (from the flying club environment), where as an airport like Wolverhampton use to be full time FIS and was owned by an airport operator not a flying club -the pay is on a higher scale.
I wouldnt look at a career being a FISO, that's usually done in the the Air Traffic Control Officer position, but it's there for people who are interested, retired, got a lot of spare time and work part time with good pay being a bonus (in my honest opinion). Don't get me wrong, the position is very demanding and i know that from first hand experience.... i wouldn't do it for free ;-)
All the best with your plans,
Ascot

Tonic Please
7th Apr 2003, 22:49
Thanks Ascot. I have no interest in doing it full-time. I just want to do it for a year or so, to have nice money, and keep in an environment which satisfies my interests...."Flying".

I have Canadian Licenses, so I save many thousands of pounds. The FISO seems a nice, professional job, with nice money for me, being 18 and not owning my own house with kids and stuff...(thank god)...Its nice pocket money :}

I'll sit the exam, and keep my post updated for anyone who might be the slightest interested.

Thanks again Ascot :)

Smooth skies

Dan

Diamond 'katana' geezer
8th Apr 2003, 06:32
hey tonic,
how do you get into this FISO malarky?
it sounds like a good little earner, for someone like yourself.
Where do you have to apply and who controls the "qualification" of FISO's

Geez:cool:

Dannyboyblue
8th Apr 2003, 07:55
Hey tonic,

First of all, to apply and get any information you need speak to ATS standards in the CAA at Gatwick. They are our regulatory body.

Being a FISO is a very interesting job, it has its good points and bad.

First of all as a fiso you get to have direct contact with the pilots, what i mean by this is that the tower is the hub of the airport where all landing fees are paid fuel etc so many a time you will be able to get some superb contacts or mates/collegues.

The pay however is in the most basic term 'pants' compared to full air traffic. The hours are also very long a typical day is 8 till 6 and if you have a late flight you could be there till half 9 10'oclock. As people have previously said we dont do it for the money but commitment to the pilots and keeping an airport running smoothly. Fiso's as of yet do not have any regulation into max hours worked unlike full air traffic guys.

Dont get me wrong im not moaning just letting you know the facts. The full air traffic guys have more pay because there job is much more complex and the training is conducted over years rather than months.

Any other queries send me a pm

dannyboyblue:cool:

Tonic Please
8th Apr 2003, 18:17
Thanks peoples. DBB: Yes, about the money. I wont be a millionaire anytime soon will I. To be honest, as I said, I am only in it until I get a well well paid job.

Over the last copuple of days, I have been rele thinking about my future, and about my dream of becoming an airline pilot, and emmigrating to Canada. I have taken into account, everything that I have read on here. In conclusion, I think Airline Pilot's are under much mor stress regarding hours and money etc, and working conditions, than needs-be. Many want to GET OUT!!

I have been looking also at jobs in IT and Computing/internet areas. These guys can be on 80K+! I wouldnt mind getting a 5 grand pay check each month at all :cool: So, I could just take flying to CPL Multi IFR level, maybe eben instructors and do some on the side as I love flying so much, dont get me wrong. I just dont want to be 30 when I realise this and not have as much time left.

Katana, Hi. I found out about them after phoning ATC Tower at Fairoaks in Chobham. They said call Gatwick CAA and ask them for a form. The next exam is 24th April, and when I spoke to the kind lady yesterday, she said the deadline for applications is in a few days. Got mine in so im ok.

You've heard what they do. I trained for my pilot license in Canada, and they are called Flight Service Assisatnce IF i remember correctly. FSS - Flight Service Stations, instead of FIS, Flight information Service in the UK.

But to me, 15K basic, so that means maybe 18 grand a year (right? - not forgettin tax blah blah), I can get nicely over one thousand a month. Not much to most, but to me thats a ton! I havent got houses, kids, cigarrets, drugs, cars, loans, mortgages and god knows what else to pay for, so I KEEP that. Thats why it means a lot to me :)

Thanks for the replies. I shall let you know how it goes.

Smooth skies,

Dan...P.S The number you called for FISO info at LGW is 01293-573355 :)