PDA

View Full Version : AAIB Bulletins

Prof Denzil Dexter
7th Apr 2003, 06:26
Just had a browse through this month's AAIB collection of misfortunes.....

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/bulletin/apr03/n961jm.htm

I had never realised that Dunkeswell was licensed for Cat 3 approach procedures in fog, or had reflective plates added along the runway? Is this a CAA approved addition to a licensed airfield?

I thought this AAIB comment was a bit of an understatement:

The investigation concluded that the accident had occurred due to an attempt to land at night in fog, at an airfield with no runway lighting and only limited cultural lighting to provide visual orientation; these visual references were lost when the fog was entered.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Apr 2003, 14:37
There was a widely repeated CHIRP report a few years ago concerning an unequipped GA airfield routinely flying circuits, training, etc. in unacceptably poor viz and cloudbase, that was commented in many places as very poor practice.

Seems the lesson didn't get out.

G

2Donkeys
7th Apr 2003, 15:35
Interesting to note the type of aircraft involved in the approach and accident.

By co-incidence perhaps, the UK distributor of that type wholly or substantially owns Dunkeswell.

It would be inappropriate to draw any conclusions from that, no doubt.

Prof Denzil Dexter
9th Apr 2003, 06:05
Maybe 'Gottagethomeitis' was a factor in this accident? And trying to land in fog at an airfield without an approved instrument approach procedure, of course...

Bright-Ling
9th Apr 2003, 06:12
Easy to criticise.......but:

When I read the report last week I thought....ar$e!

Amazing what some poeple will do.

Hersham Boy
9th Apr 2003, 15:58
Sorry - a little of core topic... but is there any way of getting hold of historic AAIB reports?

Cheers

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Apr 2003, 16:14
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the AAIB header looks like a skull and crossbones?

No? Just me, then? I'll get me coat ;~)

SSD

Keef
9th Apr 2003, 16:36
Nah, nowt piratical there SSD. Looks more like the Royal Flight logo to me.

Aussie Andy
9th Apr 2003, 16:47
Hersham: try http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/bulletin/bulletin.htm goes back to 1996...

I just read the report on the way into work... I'm amazed to learn that people can do this sort of thing (i.e. homemade night approach aids!)... then when I read that its been done by a very experienced ATPL holder with many over 8,000 hours I think to myself, well maybe its reasonable for a guy with this level of experience... maybe its just my lack of experience (@ just 125 hrs lowly PPL level, none of it at night!) that makes me think this is a foolhardy, cavalier, reckless and dangeroulsy stupid thing to do?

Besides what I think whatever, I presume that this practice is somehow illegal in terms of Rules of the Air or some other regulation? I'd be interested to understand this.

Cheers all!

Andy

Genghis the Engineer
9th Apr 2003, 17:22
I don't think Andy, it's any more illegal than, say, bungee jumping down the middle of the Eiffel Tower, just a bit silly.

Your lack of hours has probably just failed to make you sufficiently overconfident yet. The art of survival is staying nervous.

Pre 1996 reports aren't anywhere online, but there should be a couple of libraries such as the British Library in London or the Bodleian in Oxford that have a full set. I don't think the RAeS library does, but you could try them; I'm sure some other less accessible technical libraries such as what used to be called the RAE library at Farnborough do.

G

Aussie Andy
9th Apr 2003, 17:27
The art of survival is staying nervous...

I like that ;)

Evo
9th Apr 2003, 17:52
Yeah, will tell that to my pax. :)

pulse1
9th Apr 2003, 18:15
Is there a legal requirement for the AAIB to investigate and publish bulletins for all accidents in the UK.

Two years ago, a Malibou crash landed near my home and , although I have read every bulletin since, I have never seen any report on this.

Informed gossip says that he ran out of fuel at 12000' over Yeovilton, tried to make EGHH, and missed by about 10 miles.

I would have thought that, by now, we would also be reading about a CAA prosecution if that was true.

Aussie Andy
9th Apr 2003, 18:19
Was it UK registered? If not I don't think they publish a report...

pulse1
9th Apr 2003, 18:36
I am not sure but, guessing where it came from, it is possible that it was N reg. That might explain it but I have seen other N reg accidents appear in AAIB bulletins e.g. the exec. jet at Birmingham although, thinking about it, that appears as a Special Bulletin.

I will roll through the NSTB bulletins. Might find it there then.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Apr 2003, 19:42
I don't think they all result in AAIB reports. A Yak was flown 'throgh' some trees at barton on approach a few years ago severly damaging the aeroplane - if it had been anything less brick-built it would have been a fatal. No AAIB report. The Yak was not UK reg, but other non-UK Yak accidents have been reported.

And the aeroplane that crashed near Lambourne, on the downs north of Membury, a couple of years back in apparantly good weather - yet some sort of in-flight break-up - again no AAIB report.

SSD

Wycombe
9th Apr 2003, 20:08
Genghis said: "The art of survival is staying nervous".

Just to say that I also completely agree with that sentiment, and it 's one that's always in the back of my mind when aviating (call me a wimp if you like.....but at least I hope I'll be a living one!)

I was also once told that I'm a "control pessimist" - if that means I fly safe, fine :D

tacpot
9th Apr 2003, 20:53
I make a point of reading the AAIB reports every month. They are a great source of information about aircraft systems, the maintenence problems that can occur with them and their failure modes. They also show potential methods of dealing with certain emergencies, and the actual outcome when a particular method has been applied to a particular situation. They also indicate what ground-based services other pilots have used in emergencies, and how useful they have found them. They are a fantastic resource.

I tend to concentrate on the light aircraft accidents, but occasionally dip into the helicopter and airliner reports, just to see if there are any lessons that can be learned.

Prof Denzil Dexter
10th Apr 2003, 05:04
Hersham Boy,

The CAA Library at Gatwick has EVERY AAIB report since 1950. Ceratinly makes interesting reading if you're interested in such things......Nothing has changed since 1950, pilots are still making silly mistakes!

Pulse 1,

The regulations can be read here

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19962798_en_1.htm (http://)

A lot of accidents that don't appear are either due to an ongoing investigation, (SSD - such as the Cherokee Arrow over Lambourn) or the pilot 'forgets' to report it, either through ignorance or because of other motives, such as fear of prosecution.

Another thing that always amazes me is how different the AAIB report is to the 'actual' event. A report a few years ago of a minor accident resulting in a burnt out aeroplane bore absolutely no resemblance to the accident I witnessed....I wonder why?

Circuit Basher
10th Apr 2003, 15:21
Hersh - check your PMs if the response from Prof DD don't achieve what you want!

Prof DD - checked your profile and I was quite impressed at your range of skills!! ;) :)

Aussie Andy
10th Apr 2003, 16:58
Prof DD: isn't it a bit cold for that sort of thing in the Outer Hebrides!? ;)

Hersham Boy
10th Apr 2003, 17:15
Thanks for the repones all.

Circuit Basher - I'm just checking some dates and will be responding. Cheers!

Hersh