PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook Callsign

regor
5th Apr 2003, 08:18
I have heard that Thomas Cook's (TCX) call sign is GLOBE. Can anyone confirm this, and if its true, where did GLOBE come from?

Doesn't that cause confusion for ATC and TCX crews alike?

expedite_climb
5th Apr 2003, 09:11
Yes it is.

Don't know why, something to do with going all over the globe ????

A bit of a pain, but no more so than when anyone else changes callsign / sets up a new airline. Problem is atc just have 'TCX' written in front of them. Standard problem and will resolve over time.

Lump Jockey
5th Apr 2003, 18:48
And TCW is Belgian Thomas Cook, c/s: Thomas Cook, funnily enough!:)

Pilot Pete
8th Apr 2003, 18:55
Isn't it to do with their new logo......a blue and yellow globe, as seen on the tail design of the fleet?(and presumably to follow on the shop fronts?)

PP

expedite_climb
9th Apr 2003, 14:45
PP - christ is that what that big blob is supposed to be !!

Localiser Green
9th Apr 2003, 17:44
"and presumably to follow on the shop fronts?"

PP,

Don't know about your neck of the woods but all the TC shop fronts round 'ere sport the new globe logo and have done for several weeks.

expedite_climb
10th Apr 2003, 00:50
nah not all. I've seen many, but believe the program has been slowed do to triple T or C or whatever it is these days !! ;)

erikv
10th Apr 2003, 01:53
regor,

RT-callsigns aren't just introduced out of the blue. Each operator that uses flight numbers is assigned a unique three-letter ident that is registered with ICAO through the operator's national authority. The operator has the option to phonetically spell the callsign (with a few exceptions for airlines that have been around a long time such as KLM) or request an RT-callsign, such as Speedbird, Reach, Clipper or - in our case - ferry.

A list of three-letter idents, RT-callsigns and name and address of the operator is kept in ICAO Doc 8585.

I know that at least the FAA recommend to put a remark in the flightplan for several months to get the RT-callsign known to all agencies.

Erik.

Pilot Pete
10th Apr 2003, 06:05
Loc

I know, it's sad, but I haven't been out much recently due to committing my 4th set of SOP's in less than a year to memory! Added to the fact that I live 'in the sticks' and we don't have a TC presence in the town and you see how my opinions are anything but educated!!!!

Must admit your new colour scheme is really rather dashing, a vast improvement IMHO. Hope life finds you all well in TC.

Regards

PP

ps Glad to see all the cost savings, including my job, were invested wisely!