PDA

View Full Version : British ATC - criticism

DX Wombat
1st Apr 2003, 13:41
Now that I have got your attention I would like to pass on some comments made to me recently regarding ATC in the UK and UK ATCOs working abroad.
The first was made to me by a QF captain as a direct result of being informed that I was on board his aircraft. He was, he said, delighted to be able to pass on the good wishes of the ATCO in question, as the UK ATC were excellent, VERY professional, but always willing to chat / share a joke etc when there was time and it was a pleasure to be able to do something in return.
This was seconded by a pilot friend, now flying in the Middle East, who expressed his pleasure at the service offered by the expat ATCOs saying he felt very safe when they were dealing with him.
So you see, your efforts are appreciated by at least some of the people you work with.:) :D ;)

A I
1st Apr 2003, 13:49
And all posted on 1st April!!

Just in case it was serious then, thanks very much.

AI

DX Wombat
1st Apr 2003, 20:24
A1 I'm sorry I hadn't realised that it was 1st April. :{ I only arrived back here in the UK yesterday and am still rather tired. The comments made ARE genuine but I cannot reveal who the people are who were involved in any way. Both those captains were sincere in their praise of the UK ATCOs. I'm just happy to be able to pass on a bit of praise for a job well done. :ok: :D

blondie118
3rd Apr 2003, 05:34
Thanks for that wombat, it's nice to know that we're appreciated. :D :D :D

5milesbaby
3rd Apr 2003, 06:13
DX, hope you enjoyed your trip and welcome back :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
4th Apr 2003, 03:43
Can you give us some examples please kissmysquirrel ??

Then we can either advise you why things may happen the way they did, or do something about them. Generalisations are not helpful in improving the service.

Bright-Ling
4th Apr 2003, 04:10
Everyone gets treated equally. Except BA pilots. Oh... and Air France. (THEN we hate the northern scum!!)

Tee heee. Before I get chastised - that was a joke.

DX - you say you CANNOT say what unit/sector that it was. Why not???? Are they banned from receivign praise!!?!??

terrain safe
4th Apr 2003, 04:40
Is that Welsh rarebite?
;) ;) ;)

5milesbaby
4th Apr 2003, 04:48
kissmy, don't forget the majority of controllers aren't sat in towers, but being even more condracending in Centre's. Comical to see the north/south split at LACC though :}

Bright-Ling, some people just have to protect the innocent South sectors ;) and you know what praise does to us....

DX Wombat
4th Apr 2003, 14:47
Bright-Ling DX - you say you CANNOT say what unit/sector that it was. Why not???? Are they banned from receivign praise!!?!??

It's called confidentiality, I didn't ask either of the captains if I could mention who they were so don't feel at liberty to do so, but the ATCO in question has already had the praise passed on. :) If he or she wishes to reveal more then fine by me.;) All I can say is that the message was passed to the QF flight shortly after departure from Heathrow. Hope that helps you a little, I'm not trying to be secretive.:cool:

Kissmysquirrel I'm neither a pilot nor ATCO but it does strike me that if you approach people with what appears to be the attitude that "They are going to be nasty / offhand / whatever, to me because I am a Northerner approaching the South or Southerner the North" then you are likely to run into problems as they will soon pick up on any preconceptions you may have and in turn will feel they are being treated unfairly and thus you will create a vicious circle. :( Why not ease up a little and see if making light of it helps? ;)

AIRFLO
4th Apr 2003, 16:29
Years ago (yes, really!) someone told me that 'an inward feeling of inadequacy will often result in an outward display of arrogance'.

In other words, from some people attack is the only form of defence. Deep stuff, but we've all worked with ATCOs who delight in scoring points against pilots, particularly inexperienced pilots - ask yourself why they need to.

North / South divide - sounds like a bit of paranoia to me. Yes ATCOs do treat locals differently - we expect them to be familiar with the area and procedures and are more tolerant towards visitors, giving them extra help where appropriate. If this is not your experience - complain to the SATCO - you are paying for the service.

Bright-Ling
4th Apr 2003, 21:45
kissmysquirrel

Oh. That's okay then. But what about the Welsh?

I wouldn't pick on the Welsh. I have to work with a few and just mentioning the Rugby is enough....for now.

Still amazed at the need for secrecy on the praise. What's the opposite to "name and Shame" anyway!!?!?!?

TrafficTraffic
8th Apr 2003, 17:41
What's the opposite to "name and Shame" anyway!!?!?!?

Shock and Awe

DX Wombat
9th Apr 2003, 05:21
What's the opposite to "name and Shame" anyway!!?!?!?
Publish and be damned? Actually when I looked back I realised I hadn't mentioned that the expats were located in Dubai (I think). I am vague about the "just after leaving Heathrow" bit because I don't know exactly where that particular ATCO was located as I have never asked, I just enjoy chatting. :D

granny smith
10th Apr 2003, 21:39
Hi DXW

Praise for Dubai ATCOs! That is very nice to hear. I'm just a little surprised because SOME of the ATCOs in Dubai have a habit of embarrasing the hell out the rest of us when they b*****k pilots on the r/t.

Most of us find this very unprofessional and do our best to provide a good service.

Thanks for the praise.