PDA

View Full Version : Humberside fatal

WorkingHard
30th Mar 2003, 00:33
Just heard of a fatal GA at Humberside. I pray it is untrue. Any info anyone?

incubus
30th Mar 2003, 00:43
Sadly confirmed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2898745.stm

Thrush
30th Mar 2003, 03:51
Very sad indeed. It was a Cessna 421 from Soloflight. Glen Stewart and the student are apparently OK but the FAA Examiner, a Saudi Arabian who was in the back, sadly died in the fire.

Our thoughts are with his family in Saudi.
:sad:

Grafter
30th Mar 2003, 14:56
EXAMINER DIES AS LIGHT AIRCRAFT CRASH-LANDS

A flight examiner has been killed after a light aircraft piloted by a student crash-landed beside an airport runway and burst into flames.

The crash happened at Humberside International Airport, Lincolnshire.

The examiner, who has not been named, suffered extensive burns and was taken to nearby S****horpe General Hospital where he died.

The pupil pilot, who suffered head injuries, was airlifted to Grimsby Hospital.

The student's instructor, a 62-year-old man from North Lincolnshire, suffered minor shoulder injuries.

The airport has been closed to allow an investigation to begin immediately. It is expected to reopen on Sunday.

A Humberside Police spokesman said problems began when the student attempted a series of manoeuvres in the three-seater Cessna 421 aircraft as he flew around the airport.

The man who died will not be named until he had been formally identified and his relatives were informed.

An airport spokeswoman said two flights from Amsterdam have been affected by the closure and were likely to be diverted to Leeds/Bradford airport.

mutt
30th Mar 2003, 16:03
The examiner was Capt Majid Kabbani.

RIP.

Mutt.

The Sandman
30th Mar 2003, 20:37
Sincerest condolences to Majid's family and all colleagues at SVA. Majid put a lot into the job and airline and will be remembered for, and by, all.

mutt
31st Mar 2003, 03:51
Majids body will be flown tonight from Stanstead to Madinah for burial on Monday, following noon time prayers.

His family will be accepting condolances in Jeddah.

May he Rest In Peace.

Mutt. :( :(

Megaton
31st Mar 2003, 14:37
I'd like to wish Glen best wishes for a speedy receovery. He examined me for my PPL GFT some years ago and I've kept in touch with them ever since. Glen was due to clock up his 20000th hr sometme this year; let's hope he's back in the cockpit soon.

RVR800
31st Mar 2003, 16:24
I also would like to wish Glen a speedy recovery who is an excellent and very experienced instructor.