PDA

View Full Version : Military Traffic

BAB2B
24th Mar 2003, 21:36
Watching the B52s departing Fairford today I was just wondering how larger jets on long high altitude sectors are controlled in busy commercial airspace? Do they use civil airways and FLs or separate ones?

Cheers

250 kts
25th Mar 2003, 06:39
At such a sensitive time you can't really expect or deserve an educated answer.:mad:

BDiONU
25th Mar 2003, 07:24
'Tis not really sensitive as they're controlled in exactly the same manner as all military aircraft flying non-airways through UK airspace.
In this particular instance by the RAF controllers of LJAO (London Joint Area Organisation) who are co-located with their civil counterparts at LACC/Swanwick.

BAB2B
25th Mar 2003, 13:18
Take it easy 250kts, I think it's a fair enough question considering the skies of the SE of England are pretty busy, sure nobody wants to publish timetables of B52 movements but I hardly think knowing how they integrate with commerical traffic is a national security risk.

Mind you I guess there could potentially have been suspect characters patrolling UL607 ready to pounce on the unsuspecting Yanks..... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the common sense answer BDiONU.

divingduck
26th Mar 2003, 09:28
The big jets don't just come from the UK you know:rolleyes:

The local papers in the Gulf have published photos, times, tracks etc etc of the Buffs from Diego Garcia and beyond...

Ps they don't only go into Iraq either.....remember Afghanistan? Or is it again the forgotten war?

Lon More
28th Mar 2003, 07:25
BAB2B Ask your local kebab shop,
I.m sure someone in Bagdad gets a phone call within 30 seconds of take-off

BDiONU
28th Mar 2003, 19:10
Chaps,
The guy asked a perfectly reasonable question, related to the UK.

Lon More
28th Mar 2003, 21:02
BDiONU wrote The guy asked a perfectly reasonable question, related to the UK

Reasonable answer, head SE

Don't forget the UK is at war: in the 39 -45 war a popular poster reminded you that "Walls have Ears" - which is probably why their ice cream was rubbish.

Yersterday Willy ** was offered a direct routing on the way out, answer came back, "No thanks, it's not an appointment we want to be early for."

BDiONU
28th Mar 2003, 23:50
You cannot simply head SE!!!! Over the London TMA and through all the inbounds and outbounds! LOL!!! That was (I suspect) the reason for the original question and my answer, which is that the military controllers work them.

Loose lips sink ships was another.