PDA

View Full Version : Best school for JAA Instructors Rating outside the UK?

SchoonerBoy
20th Mar 2003, 13:59
OK all,

Having surfed every corner of the web looking for the answer to my question, and digested every self-congratulating schools "flannel", I now call upon your experiences and knowledge....

Where is the best place for me to study for my JAA Instructors Rating now that I have my ATPL(f)?

Many thanks. Don't hold back.

BillieBob
20th Mar 2003, 21:11
According to the UK CAA website, you have only four options:

Atlantic Flight Training - Sanford, FL
European Flight Training - Fort Pierce, FL
International Flight Training 'Academy' - Stuart, FL
Flight Training College of (South) Africa - Midrand, SA

Let battle commence and a chocolate peanut to the ppruner who spots the most vested interests.

SchoonerBoy
21st Mar 2003, 08:32
Thx Billie.

Anyone out there been to any of these. All feedback welcome... good & bad.

BEagle
22nd Mar 2003, 18:43
......assuming that you actually obtain a FI(R) rating outside the UK, what do you think you'll then be able to use it for in the UK??

RFs and FTOs can currently afford to be very choosy about who they employ - so ask yourself how much they'd value a FI(R) who didn't even bother to train in the environment in which he'd potentially be teaching..........

Bucket
30th Mar 2003, 19:07
Treat FTC Africa with a lot of caution. Good course run by external instuctor for the groundschool. But recently has suffered some failed start dates poss due lack of aircraft.

Lovely climate especially now. No Cb's. Cheap living just don't use the FTC 'lodge'. See if you can get a short let thru a local agent. Does happen. Staff great and helpful but found management severely lacking. Appear not to be interested in the student; very superficial characters.

Pay hourly and use your UK credit card; do NOT under any circumstances hand over any money in bulk. If there is a query with your account remember they have your cash and getting it back might prove tiresome.

Add at least a week to the course duration they quote.

Flying in SA is wonderful.

Need to know more; just ask.

Regards

dsp1285
11th Apr 2003, 20:14
ON NO ACCOUNT WOULD I RECOMEND ANYONE SPENDING OR SHOULD I SAY WASTING TIME AND MONEY AT IFTA ACADEMY FLORIDA, BIGGEST RIP OFF MERCHANT AROUND, ALTHOUGH IT HAS TO BE SAID THE QUALITY OF INSTRUCTION FROM THEM IS OK

flying jocks
11th Apr 2003, 22:55
I have to go along with dsp1285 regarding the finances of IFTA. The instruction is quite good actually, but if you give all your money up front then you have had it! Especially in these desparate times.
Make sure that you do your research thoroughly and that you pay as you go - not only will you receive better service this way, but also you don't risk losing everything .............. you have been warned :{

Island Hopper
5th Jun 2003, 22:53
flying jocks and dsp1285

Can you be more specific!
What actually happened to you which means everyone else should steer clear of IFTA?

I'm looking for an FTO to do my CPL - what problems could you predict I might face if I went there?

I'd be interested to know:
(a) why you chose IFTA yourselves,
(b) what training you did with them (just an FI rating?),
(c) what happened which was so bad (considering the instruction was good).

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,
IH

Megaton
6th Jun 2003, 16:21
Did my CPL with EFT and I would be quite happy to recommend them. Quality of instruction was fine and there were no indications that they were trying to rip me off financially although accom offered by them was crap.

Down 'n' Hanging
14th Jun 2003, 15:59
Hi Schoonerboy

Why not just do your FI(A) here in the UK? There are excellent schools here and the standard of instruction is generally very good.

You know in the UK you cannot generally go wrong, plus you know where you stand in respect of the British Law and CAA should anything go wrong and you're not happy. Not self-respecting FTO in the UK would want bad press if they didn't produce the goods - good news travels fast in this business, bad news twice as fast.

Do a web-search, and look through these forums there's bound to be one or two recommendations.

Good luck and hope something works out for you.

Cheers D 'n' H

Island Hopper
14th Jun 2003, 19:25
If you intend to instruct in the UK, I think you would be more likely to get a job at the school you did your rating at, than if you did it somewhere else.

IH