PDA

View Full Version : Flying colours flying club in winnipeg

ILOVEYWG
17th Mar 2003, 15:45
Hello everybody. I am a student pilot with about 35 hours of time so far. I currently fly out of Winnipeg flying club and are enjoying it so far but still get a little nervous before each lesson, especially if its a solo. I am 17 years old and I just want to ask is that a good age to start? I hope in about 10 or so years, I could fly for a major airline like Air Canada or similar. Think I could do it in 10 years? But anyways, I need serious advice here. After I get my private pilots license from the Winnipeg flying club, I was thinking of going for the bachelor of science degree in aviation that flying colours offers through a correspondence course with the Utah Valley State College. I just want to know if the program is legit and worth spending the money on and what kind of training you get if anybody knows. I have looked at tons of other aviation schools, and their all either too far away or mostly too expensive. Going to the USA is out of the question for me. I'm just a little worried that a big airline like Air Canada won't recognize this little flying school. It is an accreted university your getting your degree from, but will an online degree be just as recognized and getting one the regular way? I would like to know that going to this flying club and doing the correspondence thing to get the degree is good, because it works perfectly for me. I work at the Winnipeg International Airport and the club is right there, a 25 or so minuet drive from home so its nice and close. Don't have to pay room and board and still get to live at home with free meals and such. I really want to go there because I want to be able to keep my job while I go there, and want to stay at home, but is this smart? If anybody knows about this program (at flying colours flying club at the Winnipeg international airport) I would love to hear any advice you have for me. I really need to know that this is the right place for me and its not some sorta scam or anything or I'm wasting my time and money for something that won't get me anywhere. I know I think they do their multi/IFR training through perimeter airlines and I have heard good things about them.

And another thing, what does airlines in Canada think about degrees? Are they like the USA where you should have one, otherwise forget about applying? And universities. Is each one recognized as much as the next? I don't have to go to a big named expensive aviation school just to get noticed?

A little off topic note, but what are everybody's thoughts on where the airline industry is going and what will it be like in 10 years? I'm sick of seeing it when people make bold statements of how it won't get any better than it is now. I find that hard to believe. I know things will get better. I was watching a report on CBC last night and they were talking about the future of the aviation industry and they predicted nothing but doom and gloom. Things like that should be banned on T.V. All their doing is discouraging young, ambitious, aspiring pilots like myself into thinking weather they should even pursue a career in aviation. It hard to hear that something you love so much is not worth pursuing. I hope things will be better in 10 years and people will cut this negative nonsense out. Lets just have faith people. Its bad now. That's why people say these things, but in 10 years, I mean, it has to be better. They say that 65% of the worlds pilots will retire in the next decade and we will need 200,000 pilots and everybody is saying things won't get better? If anything, we will have a pilot shortage by then. People letting the paranoia and negativity destroying their wanting to have a career in aviation, will leave more determined, positive guys like me with all the jobs. I mean, how often do terrorists fly planes into a building? Its never happened until sept 11. I just wish people would put this incident behind us and stop letting one incident ruin everybody's lives. Its in the past. We have done everything we could. Lets stop worrying about something that will probably never happen.

One other thing, I hope there arn't too many disgruntled pilots around here. Please, only helpful and somewhat positive comments. If your just going to say negative things, do not reply. I need the advice but spare me your doom and gloom predictions and wise cracks. I have heard too much of that from flightinfo.com.

justcurious
17th Mar 2003, 16:44
First, go to the Air Canada web site. Wade through everything until you come to the extensive section on what they want. Surf through this and the Airline employee forum.

Most airlines on the planet do not care where on the planet you do your ratings as long as it is complemented by the additonal skills training of an av college diploma or a university degree. In the main, they look at the amount andquality of experience you have gleaned subsequent to that.

Slapshot
17th Mar 2003, 17:59
My advice for someone starting out would be to just go out and do it. As the previous poster said, it really doesn't matter where you learn to fly as long as you learn and learn well.

After you get your Commercial Multi IFR go out and get a job. Fly floats in the bush, "right seat" in a Navajo, tow gliders, crop dust, fire patrol, instruct. It doesn't matter. Go out and get the experience.

Be prepared to go where the jobs are. Admit to yourself right now that you will not find a job in Winnipeg. I grew up in Vancouver and ended up with my first job in Flin Flon. I went to school with a guy who found his first job in St. John's, I met a guy in St. John's who found his first job in La Ronge.

You get my point.

As far as the industry goes, I haven't got chrystal balls. I have no idea where it will be in 5 years let alone 10. There is turbulence now, it will probablly smooth out in a year or so. This industry is notoriously cyclical. The best time to train is in the down cycle, so you are ready for the upturn in my opinion.

Good luck from a guy in the middle looking at the backside of his career. I'm having a blast now just as I did in that 185F in Flin Flon.

One other piece of advice. Enjoy yourself! Take the time to look around where ever you are in this business and enjoy your accomplishment of the time. You'll find yourself chasing airplanes and jobs, so slow down. You'll need the first job, then you'll need twin time, then turbine time, then turbine command, then you'll need jet time, then heavy jet, then intercontinental experience.... You get my drift. I've known guys that just couldn't wait for the next step.

Again, good luck!

saudipc-9
18th Mar 2003, 16:36
ILOVEYWG,
Have you thought about trying to get a degree thru the Armed Forces? There is the Mil Col program which would give you a degree or you might be able to go to a civi university. After getting your degree you will be able to get some of the best training around and get paid a very good wage while you do it.
It is another option to think about.
Good Luck