PDA

View Full Version : TC to Swanwick

xerxius
16th Mar 2003, 11:02
Does anyone know when TC will be moved from West Drayton to Swanwick? Are the Area and Approach services due to be moved at the same time, or will one go before the other?

Furthermore, what is the future of Area control at Manchester? Will this be moved to Scotland at some point? Would Manchester approach be moved as well?

BDiONU
16th Mar 2003, 13:27
TC (All of it) to LACC in 2006/7 on Legacy systems.
First step is to build the new Tech Centre, then strip out the ESS and rebuild it in the Tech Centre, whilst building the Legacy System in the space vacated by the ESS and LM pig pens.

MACC to New Prestwick Centre whenever it gets built.

Jerricho
16th Mar 2003, 13:27
I think the simple answer to this is we will know when we are moving when we turn up at West Drayton for a shift and the TCR has been locked and has a big (and probably expensive) sign on the door saying "Do not enter".

;)

Fallows
16th Mar 2003, 19:00
Manchesters closure has been imminent since I joined in 1981!. In the ensuing 22 years it has gone from strength to strength taking on more and more airspace from LATCC and Swanwick. I heard the latest rumour is the closure of Swanwick and its transfer to Manchester(please!!!).

loadsofmoney
16th Mar 2003, 22:58
One day Fallows you may eventually make it to Mecca Manch!!

Topofthestack
17th Mar 2003, 09:28
Management admitted to the Union a few weeks ago that the 06/07 date had already slipped to 07/08 (probably because the timescale for the lynchpin Technical Centre is VERY tight).

TC will take its present system (Legacy system) down with them including all the Approaches, SVFR and Thames radar; all at the same time. The only 'new' feature to come in before that is Mode S. Someone said that when we get down there we'll have more sectors than En-route! The buring question is whether we'll get as much dosh thrown at us as all those NERC boys; I could do with a new BMW '7' series! ;)