PDA

View Full Version : Faa Atpl

Skaz
15th Mar 2003, 21:36
Hi all,

couls somebody in the know help me out here...I am wanting to goto Flightsafety to do some ratings, but also would like to get my FAA ATPL while in the States.

I currently have ICAO CPL with 2400TT.

I have been told by one school that I need to apply for validation and the FAA will issue 'restricted PPL' or something...then need to write all exams and flighttest for CPL, then write exams and flighttest for ATPL.

One of my contacts said that I just need to write ATPL exam and do flighttest......

Which is correct, what is the real way of getting your FAA ATPL?

Will it be easier if I have ICAO ATPL already?

Thanks a lot for youre help:}

IRISHPILOT
15th Mar 2003, 22:42
FAR 61.153(d)(3): hold either a foreign ATPL or CPL and IR.

note that you can do a SE or ME ATPL; assuming you are going over to add a fixedwing land JAA rating at Flight Safety, most of their sims are also good for FAA ratings. so you may want to ask if your examiner is dual rated, if not, if an FAA examiner could sit in.

The FAA aeronautical experience requirements are diffrent from ours. check it under FAR 61.159(a).

pilotwolf
16th Mar 2003, 13:45
Over 23 years of age.
Be able to read, speak, write and understand English langauge.
Be of good moral character!
Hold at least: CPL and IR.
Meet military experience requirements or:
Hold foreign ATPL or CPL with IR.
Meet aeronautical experience: 1500hrs total to include 500 cross country, 100 night,75 instrument(real or upto 25 sim),250 PIC to include 100 xc and 25 night, max 100 in sims.
Pass ATPL written.
Pass Flight Proficiency Test.

I think but can't find it that even if you have an ICAO ATPL the FAA will only issue an FAA PPL without any further exams.

Suggest you call one of the FSDO and see what they about your particular case. You ll find they are much much more helpful than certain European authorities!!!

Also get a copy of the AIM/FAR book or CDROM - everything you ll ever need to know should be in there - it's also reasonable well laid out and easy to find the info you want.

Keygrip
16th Mar 2003, 14:06
I think but can't find it that even if you have an ICAO ATPL the FAA will only issue an FAA PPL without any further exams.
Correct - and then only via the paperwork exercise to confirm the validity of the licence you hold.

Skaz
16th Mar 2003, 17:16
wow thanks for the flood of info guys...

so let me get this straight....if I have ICAO ATPL then I can convert to FAA ATPL if they can confirm the validity of my license ?

pilotwolf how to get "Also get a copy of the AIM/FAR book or CDROM " ?
can I get it online ?

cheers:}

Keygrip
16th Mar 2003, 17:23
No, skaz, you cannot.

The only licence that the Feds will "give" to you freebie is a "Restricted PPL" - this is just to fly around the United States, in VFR, in N registered aircraft, for fun.

Most of the bits you will want to read about licensing are covered in FARs Part 61, freebie link (http://www.xde.net/flying/links/flight-links-fars.htm) to a site that will let you see it.

If you want to buy your own copy, Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560274409/inktomi-bkasin-20/103-6667720-8761410) will oblige.

pilotwolf
16th Mar 2003, 17:24
Yep but only by taking the flight and written tests as well as meeting the other requirements.

I think Transair (http://www.transair.com) do it on CD and as a book.

I think it is available online - not sure the URL though. Maybe try from the FAA site?

togabutton
16th Mar 2003, 18:15
I did exactly what you want to do last year - I had a South African ATP and came over to the States to get an FAA ATP.

As long as within your 2400 hours you meet the hour requirements as laid out above by another friendly poster and you have a valid ICAO CPL or ATPL then you will be good to go, provided:

You write the ATP exam or knowledge test as they call it here(very easy) - buy one of the publications that has all the exam questions and answers.

Take a ATP checkride with an FAA designated check airman in the aircraft you are doing your training on. Bear in mind that if you do the checkride in a muli-engine plane, then you will get an FAA ATP with only the multi-engine land rating. To fly singles you also need to do a flight test in a single. This happened to me. I did a Boeing 737 type rating test in a B737 sim and ended up with an FAA ATP that only allowed me to fly multi-engine aircraft. I then got a job on caravans and had to go take a check ride in any single (I used a C172) before being given a single engine land rating.

As stated earlier, if you try validate your licence, you will only be given a FAA PPL. Skip that step and go straight to the flight training and ATP check ride.

Bring your logbooks and be prepared to show the FAA that you have the hours to meet the requirements for the FAA ATP.

Check your PM

Skaz
16th Mar 2003, 22:39
togabutton PM doesnt work ... email me rather
[email protected]

right, lets see if I got it this time round:

After passing all the security screenings etc and getin the appropriate visa.......and if I am/have the following

Over 23 years of age.

Be able to read, speak, write and understand English langauge.

Be of good moral character!

Hold at least: CPL and IR.

Meet military experience requirements or:

Hold foreign ATPL or CPL with IR.

Meet aeronautical experience: 1500hrs total to include 500 cross country, 100 night,75 instrument(real or upto 25 sim),250 PIC to include 100 xc and 25 night, max 100 in sims.

Pass ATPL written.

Pass Flight Proficiency Test.

1)I need to take my logbook to prove my hours
2)If I have ICAO ATPL, the FAA will give me restricted PPL
3)Study for and write FAA ATPL exams
4)I need to do both a single engine and a multi engine flight test if I want to be able to fly both on FAA license...

.....then I can get FAA ATPL?
:} :cool: :}

Keygrip
16th Mar 2003, 23:56
All so very close - just to clarify item 2 at the bottom of your list....if you have ICAO "anything" in aeroplanes (PPL, CPL or ATPL) the FAA will give you an FAA "Restricted PPL." (It's an ICAO International agreement - they have no choice).

Skaz
17th Mar 2003, 07:00
thanks a lot guys for al your helpfull posts, I really do appreciate it.

quite different fom some of the other forums:D