PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Schools in the UK

Buzzy
14th Mar 2003, 09:09
Could someone please give me the name of any flight school that offers FAA training in the UK. Thank you.....

Hufty
14th Mar 2003, 09:44
Cabair have an FAA instructor based at Blackbushe, although I understand if you want an FAA licence you need to actually sit the test in the US.

Buzzy
14th Mar 2003, 09:49
Thanks, but the one I am thinking of is in Gloucester I think.

ACX
14th Mar 2003, 19:29
Beware if you do find a flight school and they are using N reg aircraft.

The aircraft/operator must have an operating permit issued by the Department for Transport. Many do not!

This is an ANO requirement for any foreign registerd aircraft conducting Aerial or Public Transport Work in the UK.

AC&X

QNH 1013
15th Mar 2003, 08:24
Soloflight at Humberside tell me that you can do all the FAA training, FAA writtens and FAA flight tests at their school. They fly an FAA examiner in periodically for the flight tests, but it is expensive. Examiners fee is a minimum of $800 plus the aircraft hire, plus a share of the examiners expenses to get to England. However, they say it allows you to get an FAA certificate without leaving the UK.
I was thinking of this route, but I've not done the sums yet to decide.

Cusco
15th Mar 2003, 17:34
Don't forget Tom Hughston of American Flight Training at Norwich:

Can't find his number off hand but he advertises in the flight mags.

He can do the FAA writtens and mark 'em on the spot and he also has a simulator for IR training (tho' I've never used it)

safe flying

Cusco

formationfoto
16th Mar 2003, 19:54
Further to the note from Cusco I understand that AFT at Norwich is hoping to be able to offer examiners for somewhat less than the figure quoted in the post above.

I am just about to start my FAA IR training and need to get a full FAA PPL which will require me to undergo flight training, the writtens, and a test.

englishal
16th Mar 2003, 20:53
I am just about to start my FAA IR training and need to get a full FAA PPL
I guess you want the FAA PPL for other reasons, as you don't need one for the FAA IR....

Cheers
EA:D

Keef
16th Mar 2003, 23:34
Three points, for what it's worth:

1. The company offering the FAA examinations at Staverton has closed. I did mine there a couple of years ago, and a fine facility it was.

2. I understand that the latest FAA rules do not permit adding an FAA IR to a "reciprocal" licence. That may not be correct, but I've been told it from several directions. If so, it's a full FAA PPL first.

3. I've been told (by also impeccable sources) that you can't take an FAA checkride in the UK at the moment. It has to be in the USA. There are several folks saying that you *can* still do the checkride in the UK, but nobody can point to anyone who's done one here in the past six months.

I've heard only good things about Tom Hughston at Norwich for the writtens.

If Naples Air Center were still doing flight training, I'm sure they'd be able to give chapter and verse.

Julian
17th Mar 2003, 01:28
Cusco,

I have used the Sim up at Toms and its pretty good.
He will work you hard in it but you will come out knwoing your procedures alot better than when you went in. If I remember rightly he charges about £50/hr for its use, much cheaper than waiting until you are in the air before you find out you have forgotten everything!

Like all sims it takes bit of getting used to when you first get in in, cranking the yoke over like you would do in the clubs aircraft tends to result in a half cocked barrel roll !!!

Julian.

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Mar 2003, 06:50
Hi

Few things:

Webaddress for Tom Hughston: www.flyafts.com telephone: 01603 301902

You can add an IR to the restricted PPL. Need a letter from the FAA after verification of your license (got that info from the TAMPA FSDO)

Currently awaiting a response of the FAA in OK for further info.

You can do the checkride over here through AFT at Norwich and the school at Teeside prices and conditions vary so do check.

The Sim at Tom's is £75 per hour + VAT on the hobbs (no ATC delays though ;) )

HTH

FD

formationfoto
17th Mar 2003, 07:02
You CAN add the IR to the restricted FAA PPL (which I have) but I am advised that it is better to gain the full FAA PPL for future ease and security (but to be honest I didn't press too hard on what that meant!).

Would be interested in advice others have had on this.

2Donkeys
17th Mar 2003, 07:26
It was always possible to add an IR to a previous "restricted" PPL. This remains the case. The difference is that a letter of validation is required from the CAA, similar to that required for the initial issue of the restricted PPL. The same process is then required should you wish to go for a CPL, or to add any other rating to your ticket. New letter from the CAA each time, some say... I've never tested that theory.

Because this process is tedious and time consuming, most schools will recommend that you convert to a "proper" PPL by sitting the ground exam and flying the flight test. It makes all subsequent transactions with the FAA much more straightforward.

It is my understanding the there is no issue with a US examiner conducting a checkride outside the US, although he will need to have obtained explicit FAA authorisation before doing so. By contrast many if not all of the few Designated Pilot Examiners resident in Europe have lost their authority post 9/11 in a move that it has always been claimed was unrelated to the security situation.

The view has been expressed that the FAA would rather that checkrides were performed in the US, but that is gossip rather than fact.

Tony Cornish
17th Mar 2003, 08:32
If you wish to obtain a FAA PPL issued on the basis of a foriegn (JAA/CAA) licence you have to go through the validation process described in both the CAA and FAA websites.

If you already have a FAA PPL, however it was obtained, and wish to add a rating to it you do not need to complete any of the validation paperwork.

Riverside Flight Center has successfully completed IR training for European pilots with "restricted" PPLs post 911 and had no security or any other problems whatsoever.

gateradial
17th Mar 2003, 17:19
Tony,

Interesting. When was the last such IR completed? My reading of the FAA's information on this suggests otherwise but I'm keen to learn what actually happens for practical tests on a 61.75 certificate (i.e. FAA PPL issued on basis of foreign licence).

Please see

http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/index.cfm

and therein

New! Foreign Pilots: U.S. Certification (DOC) (HTML)
http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/n8700-15.htm

and the FAQ for the above

* Background information and commonly asked questions
http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/N8700-15FAQ.rtf

particularly Question/Answer No. 11.

Heliport
17th Mar 2003, 20:47
The web address for Tom Hughston American Flight Training Service posted above is incorrect.

It's http://www.flyafts.co.uk

md 600 driver
22nd Mar 2003, 16:22
cant say too much about ppl fixed wing but in the uk you can learn,do writtens and do flight tests for faa ppl/h and cpl/h with a uk based examiner there are lots of uk based faa instructors [cfi] and at least 2 written test centres any info send a pm so i am not advertising.

steve