PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Places

EchoKiloEcho
13th Mar 2003, 18:25
Has anyone ever flown into Sodwana Bay airstrip? It is located North of Durban, Kwazulu Natal on the South African east coast. Its one of the most beautiful places in the country.

I am planning a holiday down there in November 2003, and want to fly from Virginia Airport, near Durban up to Sodwana.

I would like to hear from anyone that has flown into realy nice tropical airports around the world!!

Please let me know. :cool: EKE :cool:

Doghouse
13th Mar 2003, 21:23
Went on a canoeing holiday in Everglades a few years ago. Hired a plane nr Orlando, flew down to (IMHO) beautiful airstrip called Everglade City, and a man was waiting on the apron for me with canoe, camping gear and beers - pretty much got out of the plane and into the canoe. Wonderful airfield, great holiday.

stiknruda
14th Mar 2003, 08:20
Took a C182 into Sodwana from Virginia in April '94.

Took an AA5 into Punto d'Oura - the following month. Punto is the first village into Moz on the same coast. The strip was horrific and elephant grass was growing through the cracks in the concrete - later that month a PA31 used it a few times.

Have flown a PA34/PA31/C310 into most of the Moz bush strips during the civil war. Spent a week in the RHS of a DC3 taking food from Beira to Casa Banana, the rebel HQ.

Stik

EchoKiloEcho
14th Mar 2003, 09:11
stiknruda

HOW LONG IS THE FLIGHT FROM VIRGINIA INTO SODWANA? IS THERE ANYTHING NICE TO SEE ON THE WAY THERE? IS IS SAFE? CAN YOU FLY LOW LEVEL ALL THE WAY? HOW BIG IS THE RUNWAY AND IS THERE ANY FACILITIES THERE?

IVE BEEN TO SODWANA BY CAR, BUT NOT IN A LIGHT AIRCRAFT. I ALWAYS SAID I WANTED TO DO MY PPL AND THEN FLY INTO SODWANA. SO NOW THAT I HAVE A PPL, IM DETERMINED TO DO IT.

IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME MORE INFORMATION ON FLYING IN THE SODWANA AND ST. LUCIA AREA I WILL REALY APPRECIATE IT!

EKE:)

Flyboy-F33
14th Mar 2003, 09:14
Took a C172 into North Eluthera (MYEH) back in 1975. We were honeymooning in Florida, and rented for a week. A short high speed water taxi takes you to Harbour Island where you will find a 3 mile coral pink sand beach with turquiose bles sea. It was so nice we stayed for 3 days. Only 2 or 3 other people on the whole beach.

The Bahamas are well worth a visit!

GG

stiknruda
14th Mar 2003, 09:38
EKE - my logbook isn't handy but I do recall following the beach up for most of the way. Inland was very hilly. After Sodwana I took the 182 to Big Bend in Swazi (that might have been the hilly bit!!)

F33 - I agree the Bahamas are great. I landed at Walkers Cay just ahead of a thunderstorm and managed to get the aeroplane secured, customs to stamp the little form with the strange name and retire to the bar to enjoy a cold beer or two and watch the lightning! Marsh Harbour, Stella Maris and Andrau all give Eleuthra competition.

Oh happy days!

Stik

Circuit Basher
14th Mar 2003, 11:37
I've got a Bruneian Flying Licence as well and have flown in and around Brunei / Malaysian airspace, which is quite fun! There are some interesting airfields around there (which for political reasons, I didn't land at, but overflew quite low!).

Landings at Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei International) were never too much of a problem - runway is around LHR size!

One minor problem was the issue of charts - it's illegal to have a map in Brunei (due to mid-60s state of emergency as a result of a spat with Indonesia / Malaysia), so it can be difficult to find your way around!

Sultan Ismail
14th Mar 2003, 13:16
Tropical Places - Sodwana Bay

EKE

Would you believe I have 3299 (Maputo) and 3398 (Durban) right in front of me,

and the answer to your question is 166nms

and another 43nms to Stiknruda's Ponta de Ouro.

You will pass the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park, check the local restrictions, don't go too near the (sea) water, that's a Marine Park

A question I want to ask you, how do you define Tropical? ,

is it palm trees and sandy beaches, or Latitude?

Sodwana is right on the 28th, and fits your requirement, yet Jo'burg is on the 26th, and is no way tropical, it's an oasis in an arid plain.

I might add that it is also my home, and I love it.

Of course, where I work is on the 2nd North, and thus Equatorial, you can't beat the palms and sandy beaches of Tioman and Pangkor Laut.

That's where I will be tomorrow,eat your heart out.

Good luck on your trip.

Sultan Ismail

BTW, I bought the maps last week at Avex Air and CFA, Grand Central

EchoKiloEcho
14th Mar 2003, 15:36
Sultan Ismail

Thank you for the information on Sodwana. Have you ever flown in the area yourself?

QUOTE:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A question I want to ask you, how do you define Tropical?
is it palm trees and sandy beaches, or Latitude?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, what I meant was, sandy beaches with palm trees, or realy spectacular scenery. Just an airport that is different than the usual!

Enjoy Pangkor Laut!:cool:

EKE

MLS-12D
14th Mar 2003, 16:20
"I've got a Bruneian Flying Licence as well ..."

I'm impressed! Circuit Basher, tell us more!