PDA

View Full Version : LJAO Airspace?

OBK!
13th Mar 2003, 16:18
Does anyone know whether the London Join Area Organisation has anything to do with us GA pilots? I have heard that there is Class D airspace with something to do with LJAO, how does it affect us? And what is it!? :confused:

Avoiding Action
13th Mar 2003, 17:49
I wouldn't worry about it; they're part of the military Air Traffic System. In lay man's terms, they're responsible for transiting military jets through the main N-S airways/airroutes complex (Class A and B) in the middle of the country. They're based at Swanwick, right beside their civilian counterparts who ply their trade in that airspace on a day to day basis. This arrangement (separate from other military area controllers but beside the civvies) obviously eases the burden of co-ordination whe crossing this busy airspace. Still, wouldn't fancy it myself...;) You may hear of them but you're unlikely to be controlled by them unless you're in a military aircraft.

Hope this helps

AA

OBK!
13th Mar 2003, 18:03
Ah!

It just keeps popping up on FliteStar as Class D airspace. So I can just go straight through regardless? As if its Class G?

AlanM
13th Mar 2003, 21:28
Assuming FliteStar is some kind of simulation - yes - barrell through with yr xpnder off and then loop the loop.

in real terms - as said they deal mainly with Class A and B so keep away!! You are unlikely to work them unless you fly a fast jet.

Chilli Monster
13th Mar 2003, 21:36
They also have responsibility for the Daventry, Westcott and Swindon Radar corridor - very handy if you have something either turbo prop or jet (civil OR military - often use them for Citations and Beech 200's) going West - East and Vice versa where the airways system makes it impossible otherwise. (Lichfield corridor is a similar thing but still done by London Mil at West Drayton)

OBK - as far as you're concerned however 'keep out' - It's still Class 'A' as Alan M says.

OBK!
13th Mar 2003, 21:45
AlanM, FliteStar is a profressional flight planning program from Jepessen lol.

Anyway, I can't see LJAO on ICAO maps or anything so I'll just fly flightplans likeI always used to!

On flitestar, the LJAO just seems to overlie Class A & B like you say, such as Daventry etc. They're also on Flitestar so I will keep out!