PDA

View Full Version : Filing flight plans with RNAV points

OBK!
13th Mar 2003, 12:28
I have just been playing with flitestar, and the best Autorouting option available nearly always gives me RNAV points to fly.

The aircraft I fly does have a KNS80, so I can plug in the RNV points but how do I file a flightplan with RNAV points?

Is it (note, VFR flightplan):

GDV047048 DCT GDV351028 DCT GDV305016

In simple langauge:

[GDV Radial 047 DME 048nm] Direct [GDV Radial 351 DME 028nm] Direct [GDV Radial 305 DME 016nm]....

Can I also file Long/Lat waypoints for example:

N52087E000545 N51130E002015 N51038E001593

And when I come on the vhf with a service what do I say..."G-BENB estimating Golf Delta Victor Radial 047 048DME at 1257"???????

Any ideas much appreciated.

FWA NATCA
13th Mar 2003, 14:50
OBK,

The trouble with filing Lat/Longs is that as a controller I don't have a clue where you are going, if you use an occasional VOR or VOR radial then I know how you are getting there.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Fred
13th Mar 2003, 15:00
Do not waste your time (and I suppose also that of the people at LHR/MAN or wherever) by putting all that stuff down on a VFR plan. They honestly don't give a monkey's. If you like just put a couple of VORs or NDBs down that are very roughly on your route separated by the word DCT.

Not sure what you mean by an RNAV point but if you mean a published reporting point (what the Americans call an intersection) such as ORTAC or WILLO you can put those down too - again it doesn't much matter on a VFR plan.

BTW technically speaking your routing "syntax" was correct, but you need to separate the lon/lat waypoints with DCT (DCT should always be used unless they are points on a designated route (airway/ADR etc.) in which case the airway designator is used e.g. CPT G1 BCN).

On the radio the controller will find it much more helpful if you refer to a (biggish) town that is near the waypoint.

Hope that helps (and that I got most of it right!).

bookworm
13th Mar 2003, 19:04
I would have thought that the FPL is exactly the place to put all that stuff, if you filed an FPL for search and rescue purposes. If you don't turn up, they'll pull out your FPL and your precise routing is available.

In terms of communicating your route to enroute ATC, they probably don't have a copy of your FPL anyway. Use sensible reporting points. "Estimating abeam Swindon at..."

14th Mar 2003, 06:05
OBK

Yep - bang on with your RNAV method.

Lat/Long is correct except the numbers come first followed by the letter eg - 4620N07805W.

Both are perfectly acceptable for flight plan submission. Ignore those comments regarding filing points 'close' to your routing....not a good idea. ATC Do give a monkeys and you could end up routing yourself into some controlled airspace by accident.

RNAV is a different kettle of fish compared to IFR reporting points, and the method explained above for filing is direct from CAP694.

Regarding ATC transmission, I'd just cross-reference your RNAV point on your chart - ie - two miles west of x, or five miles south of y....this is sufficient for transmission. Only read off the radial/distance/bearing if ATC require clarification, ie- they are unsure!

Hope this helps...........

OBK!
14th Mar 2003, 09:48
Thanks 5150! Comforting to know :)