PDA

View Full Version : Jeppeson vs. Pooley's

Mak
12th Mar 2003, 08:43
Hi all,

To date I've used Pooley's airfield guides (not for long though since I got the ppl only a few wks ago). I'm going shopping this w/e and would like to hear people's opinion of how Pooleys and Jeppeson guides compare. They're the same price but Pooleys contains 100 more fields than Jeppesens. So I guess it's a matter of choosing coverage vs. detail.

Which one do you think is the best buy?

Thanks.
Mak

Rallye Driver
12th Mar 2003, 09:13
I've always used the Pooleys lose leaf version for UK flying. I certainly think the layout is easier to follow than the AFE guide, where you have to search for frequencies.

The Jeppesens has two pages per airfield, one side giving a location map with circuit directions, frequencies etc and the reverse with the runway plate and general information. But I prefer to have information on more possible destinations as the bulk of my flying is done in the UK.

I use Jeppesens for flying on the Continent. If you get the full version rather than a trip kit, it has a monthly update service, which is more frequent than the Pooleys one.

In fact, I found that if you need plates for several countries it is more cost effective to get one of the full manual sets than the equivalent trip kits, as the data is then kept valid for a year.

So, it's mix 'n' match for me.

RD

FlyingForFun
12th Mar 2003, 09:27
Mak,

I think it's purely personal preference. Any worthwhile shop will let you take a look at the goods you're planning on buying - go in, look at each, and make your own mind up.

FFF
---------------

weetabix
12th Mar 2003, 19:21
Hi,

I use Pooleys, having compared the two in the shop simply finding the layout more to my liking. Thinking about it perhaps the idea of supporting a UK based company came into the equation there somewhere aswell!!

I must admit I haven't yet sent off the 'Ammendment Service' form yet - how regularly is the service provided?

A and C
12th Mar 2003, 19:47
It,s a quality thing ! the Jepps are far better at providing a picture of the area around the airfield and the update sevice is first class.

I have used all the types of plates on the market over the years and have never regretted buying the Jeppesen books for both VFR and IFR flying.

Keef
12th Mar 2003, 22:30
In my youth (long ago), I flew mostly in the UK and used Pooley's. AFE hadn't been invented then.

When I took to tooling around Europe, I bought the Pooley's European Guide and found it seriously lacking, so switched to Bottlang. Very soon decided that "one format for all" is preferable, and now use only Bottlang. I've got used to the format, and can work it.

For IFR, there is a different set of choices, but the effort involved in keeping a vast swathe of airway manuals up to date is too much for me. Maybe if I flew far more...

englishal
12th Mar 2003, 23:28
Jepps gets my vote. The nice thing about said companies products is they're standardized around the world...A minor detail to some, but I like it....

Cheers
EA:D

FlyingForFun
13th Mar 2003, 08:39
Weetabix,

The update service from Pooleys is 4 times a year, but you only get it if you buy the loose-leaf format of the guide (which is one of the reasons why that's the format I use).

FFF
-------------