PDA

View Full Version : David Clark H10-13X

proxus
7th Mar 2003, 15:54
Hi there!

I am looking into buying me a new headset.

I have found several interresting headsets and helpfull reviews to follow, but I can't seem to find any review regarding this set of DC.

Is it because it is so new on the market or what?

Can you help me?

I need to know how well it performs
and how it is in comparison with the H10-13.4 ( the identical passive one).

I am focusing on DC because I want reliability, something I can use for years to come. But I do not have to much money to spend so I would be stretching my budget a bit.

Is the extra money for the 13X worth it, over the 13.4??

Regards

Proxus

MLS-12D
7th Mar 2003, 16:36
Take a look at this thread: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58420

Sorry, I don't know of any product reviews that I can direct you to.

parris50
7th Mar 2003, 17:53
I have the H10 13X.

To be honest I'd say don't waste your money. Buy the passive version. The difference in noise level is not that great and if you wear glasses, the noise cancelling hardly works at all. You can put seals over the arms of your glasses but they seem very fiddly and produced very little improvement for me.

Quite often I forget to switch the headset on and don't realise until I try to switch it off!

I bought Dave Clarke for the reasons that you mentioned (and also because I find them comfortable) but have to say overall that I am a bit disappointed with the 13X, especially as it costs so much more.

Hope this helps

AP

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Mar 2003, 20:36
Can not concur with the statement that they are a waste of money at all!

I have had the 10-13X for 3 weeks now and flown a variety of aircraft with them and loved every minute of it.

I think that in the comfort department they can only be beaten by the Bose set but that is twice the price of the DCs.

Look after your ears; you wont be issued with a replacement pair once the first lot is worn out!

:eek:

FD

PS: Have the passive version as well so have compared like for like here. Maybe you need new batteries ;)

Keef
7th Mar 2003, 22:15
I bought a 13.4 many years ago, and like it very much. More recently, I had Richard Holder do his mod to make it ANR (cost about £150 as I recall) and am amazed at how much difference it makes.

The pressure units Richard fits are a lot better quality than the standard DC ones. It also works fine with my glasses,a nd without any funny pads.

My ANR has the optional "auto switch on", triggered by the microphone bias voltage from the intercom/radio. It's extremely noticeable when the ANR comes on when I switch on the avionics master after engine start.

I don't know how my 13.4ANR compares with the 13X, but I'd never go back to a non-ANR. In fact, a spare ANR battery is a mandatory item for the flight bag.

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Mar 2003, 01:15
Hi Keef

The only reason I did not go for the RH conversion was that I did need another headset anyway, and the price I managed to secure from a quality outlet close to TK was such that it compared favourably with new 13.4 + conversion.

Would have liked the auto on/off. I think the conversion is a bit dearer than what you quoted but for that you get the gel seal replacements as well included.

Coming to EBOS on Sunday? Usual suspects.

FD

higney85
8th Mar 2003, 15:20
i personally have the DC 10-13.4 and love it.. Ive worn it for 8 hours (talk about flying) and had no complaints. As far as the noise the DC is very clear on the radio and cancels noise well. I think noise also has something to do with the plane you are flying. When i moved from a 152 up to a 172sp i noticed a decrease in engine noise from what i think is the newer plane and maybe more insulation. I tried a couple other headsets and the only one I like more is the Bose but those are really expensive... If its too loud put on some ear plugs under the headset (thats what i did in the 152 and it worked great)