PDA

View Full Version : Menomics on application forms

4T winks
6th Mar 2003, 21:04
I am Busy filling in application forms right now, which is new skill I am rapidly aquiring, however can anyone elighten me as to what the following Menomics stand for, I have figured out some but not all, so I can only make an educated guess as to what the rest mean...

The section on the form relates to Examining and training Authorites, boxes to tick or cross are "FI, IRI, IRE, SFI, SFE, TRI, TRE",

Any info will be welcome :confused: :confused:

Pilot Pete
6th Mar 2003, 22:45
FI - Flying Instructor
IRI - Instrument Rating Instructor
IRE - Instrument Rating Examiner
SFI - my guess - Simulator Flight Instructor (not come across this one)
SFE - my guess - Simulator Flight Examiner (nor this)
TRI - Type Rating Instructor
TRE - Type Rating Examiner

Regards

PP

Oh, and ps. I think the word you were looking for is mnemonic

PaperTiger
6th Mar 2003, 23:13
SFI = Synthetic Flight Instructor, SFE = Synthetic Flight Examiner - I kid you not.

Wasn't there one in the movie 'Airplane' ? :}

buffalowing
7th Mar 2003, 10:50
What would be the difference between the role of a TRI and that of a SFI?
In the case of a Level "D" (STD-1a) simmulator is a TRI necessary at all?

Pilot Pete
8th Mar 2003, 09:08
No PaperTiger

I think you are mistaken............................................'he' was an autopilot with an 'emergency manual inflation tube' was he not? Synthetic yes, but with very plausible facial expressions!!!!!!

PP;)

Hilico
8th Mar 2003, 12:31
There is a word 'mnemonic', but the word you're actually looking for is ACRONYM.

witchdoctor
8th Mar 2003, 20:51
Did Harrison Ford manage to successfully track down and eliminate any synthetic FI/FE's in Bladerunner? - don't think I'll bother with the director's cut if he didn't.;)

Ascend Charlie
8th Mar 2003, 21:25
The difference between a TRI and an SFI is SFA, so POQ RFN.

jungly
9th Mar 2003, 08:18
HILICO beat me to it...youre talking about ACRONYMs.

An aconym is an abbreviation (quite often in aviation a TLA [ 3 letter abbreviation]) eg: the ones youve mentioned

...whereas a mnemonic is an abbreviation that spells out a word eg: STARK treaty or NATO alliance.

If you want to have a field day with these fly Airbus where acronyms become mnemonics out of convenience eg. ADIRU as no body can be bothered saying A-D-I-R-U

...and then you get mixed aconyms/mnemonics

Search and Rescue = SAR
Combat Search and Rescue = C-SAR

Im spent...goodness knows how people learn English as a second language.

GABBDUY :p

terryJones
9th Mar 2003, 13:48
Far to much of this shortening IMHO:p

As an afterthough, why is ABBREVIATION such a long word.

BigGreenPleasureMachine
11th Mar 2003, 15:43
Why is there only one monopolies and mergers commission?

shuttlebus
12th Mar 2003, 12:36
It is considered "bad form” to use a long word when a diminutive one will do :) :) :)

Edited for brain fade :rolleyes:

john_tullamarine
13th Mar 2003, 06:26
.... unless it is VERY late at night ... and the night was a good one ... in which case the time taken to say the bigger word gives the brain more time to think of the next word and tie it into the increasingly incoherent sentence .....

spekesoftly
14th Mar 2003, 07:49
jungly,

You give NATO as an example of a mnemonic, yet the Concise Oxford Dictionary gives it as an example of an acronym! :confused:

I suggest that QFI, TRE etc are simply abbreviations.

An ACRONYM is a word formed from the initial letters of other words e.g. ERNIE, LASER, RADAR and NATO.

A MNEMONIC is designed to aid the memory, (e.g. 'HASELL' checks) and if it forms a word, is also an ACRONYM!

Ah well ;)

jungly
14th Mar 2003, 07:55
speak softly: you sir are a steely eyed missile man and are indeed correct!

YCF (you clever ....)

Rgds ;)

cwatters
14th Mar 2003, 09:14
Personally I think there are far too many TLA.

curmudgeon
14th Mar 2003, 16:14
The debate reminds me that some time ago an old friend mentioned about a girl in his office, who had had an e-mail forwarded to her with the abbreviation "FYI" as the message. She said that she knew what the "FY" stood for, but she didn't know what the "I" was short for.

I still can't see an e-mail bearing this message without thinking that the sender is greeting me with "f*ck you"

cur