PDA

View Full Version : NATS conversion courses

fourthreethree
6th Mar 2003, 20:32
Several months ago, I was looking at the possibility, for (among others) family reasons, of giving up expat life in Belgium and returning to Blighty.

As an area controller I was looking at staying in the same field, meaning basically Swanwick or Manchester, the latter being given short shrift by those I asked as "pie in the sky", among other things. I also made enquiries at Swanwick and was appalled to learn I would have to apply as an ab initio, and go through the whole training from scratch, with the associated pay cut. The idea was then forgotten.

And then, lo and behold, a rumour comes to my ears. The grapevine tells me that NATS are indeed experimenting with conversion courses, starting with a military intake.

Could anyone shed some light on this, or put me in touch with someone in the know?

7th Mar 2003, 06:02
I am amazed to learn of your difficulty. A few years ago a West Drayton controller went to New Zealand ATC and subsequently came back. You've guessed haven't you. CORRECT!!!!Straight back to a job and promotion too. The rest of the chaps were so happy. Anyway, I hope this cheers you up.

fourthreethree
7th Mar 2003, 15:11
The difference is, the guy you're talking about had "history" with NATS, whereas I came straight over here from uni.
I know a couple of people as well who have tried it out over here, but kept their jobs in NATS open in case they didn't like it. Just as well too in a couple of cases....

Anyway thanks for the reply, there must be a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere.