PDA

View Full Version : Yak 18T

Grob Driver
26th Feb 2003, 16:07
Yak 18T

Hi Guys,

Well, so far I’ve put posts on here about the An2, and the Pawnee, and have had fantastic responses to both, so here’s another all time favourite of mine… The Yak 18T.

Has anyone out there got anything to say about them? What are they like to fly and maintain? I understand they take a lot of servicing… is that correct? Are they thirsty beasts? Anyone know anywhere in the UK that has one to rent? I don’t know if such a place exists, but I’d love a go in one!

Happy landings

Grob Driver

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Feb 2003, 17:49
Well, there's one at Barton. I used to part-own a Yak52, which has the same 360HP engine. So it is thirsty (at least 12 gallons/hour, but over 20 at aeros settings).

I've never flown an 18T, but they are aerobatic and look fun.

Like the '52, maintenance will not be a problem, but the radial engine requires suitable care (e.g. pulling through etc).

SSD

Negative 'G'
26th Feb 2003, 18:15
I think theres a very nice one just across the zone from you at Wickenby:D

I also remember at least one being at Sturgate approximately a year ago

Neg G

DB6
26th Feb 2003, 20:25
Don't know about the UK but I flew them in Bulgaria a while back. Fully aerobatic two-up but a bit spoilt in that respect as it has a yoke not a stick. Built like a brick ****house with a spacious cabin and very strong undercarriage. Not very comfy seats as they were little more than tubular steel with canvas and a bit of padding, and with little curtains for all the windows for blind flying (don't think the CAA like them though). And a MASSIVE pitch up force when you pop the flaps - one setting pneumatic affairs that go to about 50 or 60 degrees in about a second, whahay!
When all's said and done, though, a fully aerobatic four-seater tourer has a lot going for it :}

Grob Driver
26th Feb 2003, 21:29
Negative G, You’re right… there was one over the road at Wickenby. I’m not sure what has happened to it though… It used to fly over my house a lot, but I never see it any more. I know the guy was having problems with it because he couldn’t get it put onto a G registration. I think he then got the CAA to let him fly it for a month… It was airborne all the time. Like I said, I haven’t seen it for a long time now. Same, it was a lovely looking aircraft…. http://homepages.enterprise.net/johns/

As for one at Sturgate. I’ve never seen one there.

Keep the stories coming guys….

Oh, what ever happened to Tiger Pat? The back one with tiger stripes that we used to see at the air shows? Is it still about?

Unwell_Raptor
26th Feb 2003, 22:05
Strong, too. I saw Paul Bonhomme hit the deck in one at White Waltham, and it looked nasty, but he got away with a black eye and bit of a dent in his pride.

Skylark4
26th Feb 2003, 22:27
The black one with tiger stripes used to turn up at Benson quite regularly. I believe it belongs to an ex-member of 33 Sqn who keeps in touch. Haven`t seen it for a while now though.

Mike W

Rallye Driver
27th Feb 2003, 10:52
They've had problems with certification over the past year. The original plan was to transfer them onto the G-register, but the Russians couldn't agree amongst themselves about who was ultimately responsible for the type their end.

The latest plan, which the CAA have agreed to in principle, is that they transfer onto the Hungarian register, which is full JAR compliant, and where the type is fully certified.

Hopefully, this will end the uncertainty of the last year. They're certainly impressive beasts to fly in, even four-up.

RD

Grob Driver
27th Feb 2003, 13:19
Rallye Driver,

Are you talking about a particular Yak 18 or just 18’s in general? I understood that the ex-military ones could go on the UK register because there was a service history, but there was nothing that could be done for the ones that had always been civilian (apart from a one way ticket back to Russia). I seem to remember the guy at Wickenby going back to Russia to ‘find’ some documentation to prove it was ex-military. Not sure if that’s true or not. I might have just made it up!

Interesting that they can be put on the Hungarian register, but not the UK register when both are fully JAR compliant.

Skylark, you’re right…. Tiger Pat does / did belong to a 33sqn pilot… I wonder what has happened to it. Hopefully it’s just a registration problem, and we’ll see more Yaks back in the sky too.

Cool_Hand
27th Feb 2003, 14:28
I only had a vague recollection of what they looked like then one comes and lands here at Blackbushe! RA44527, looked great.

I had a quick look at G-INFO and there are only two registered both on permit to fly. I also have a recollection that the CAA are having immense difficulty proving the history of any aircraft out of the Eastern Bloc as it seems the number initially thought to be some form of registration actually turns out to be a random number painted on the side like a name. I probably saw it here on PPRuNE, either that or in Flight.

But all the same if you can get it flyable in Britain they're a snip at $38000.

Grob Driver
2nd Mar 2003, 00:16
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any details of where I can rent something like a Yak 18T in an eastern block country? I’m thinking of heading east this summer. I’ve found one place in Russia when I can rent a Yak 18T for $160 / hours, an An2 for $230 / hours or a katana for $170 / hour!… Anyone know any other places… Somewhere like Poland?

Thanks very much

Grob Driver