PDA

View Full Version : Check your aircraft insurance

Flying Lawyer
25th Feb 2003, 10:52
Click here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=82598&referrerid=18293)

bcfc
25th Feb 2003, 11:15
FL

Is this just for helos? No idea who we're insured with but I'll contact the group organiser to check should this also affect f/w.

Can you say why?

-bcfc

Flying Lawyer
25th Feb 2003, 12:10
The advice is for any aircraft, not only helicopters - I posted a link to save retyping my post here.

I'm afraid I can't go into details for professional reasons, but you can assume I wouldn't have posted without good reason.

Tudor Owen

Rod1
25th Feb 2003, 12:36
Thanks for the heads up. I am not insured with them, but that is pure luck! I very much appreciate your posting the warning.

Rod

The Nr Fairy
25th Feb 2003, 12:55
A quick Google for "Folksam" connected with "insurance" came up with several hits. Perhaps the most pertinent, if out of date :

http://www.accountancyage.com/News/1130040 - PwC taking over as administrators of Folksam.

http://www.landwellglobal.com/images/uk/eng/uk_downloads/2002%20news%20releases/20.08.2002%20-%20Folksam.pdf - Announcement about a firm dealing with cross-border insolvency relating to Folksam.

I'm not an accountant, don't have an aircraft - therefore no insurance - but reading between the lines I'd be on the phone pretty damn quick to my broker, especially given the source of the advice.

Heliport
25th Feb 2003, 17:30
As mentioned on the main thread, there are two ways in which this might affect you:
[list=1]
Folksam issued some insurance policies direct using appointed agents.
eg Hall & Clarke Insurance Brokers Plc of Harrow, Middlesex

Folksam may be the underwriters of your insurance policy.[/list=1]

bluskis
27th Feb 2003, 09:01
Thanks for the warning.

I have just contacted Hall & Clarke with whom I have been insured for some 20 years, and they have assurred me they ceased to place with Folksam Dec 2000.

sclarke
3rd Mar 2003, 08:25
Title

posted 28th February 2003 16:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am Chairman of Hall and Clarke

I can confirm that we had a scheme with 'Folksam' between 1991 and 2000. Such a scheme with delagated policy issueance is common place with all larger GA brokers.

The claim was rejected by Folksam. I believe this claim went into arbitration where it remains. I do not believe this case has been won or lost but remains in arbitration. There are no other claims outstanding and no policies in force. We have never placed any Helicopter insurance policies with Folksam.
We pride ourselves in customer service. If anyone has an issue please direct it to me.

Simon Clarke - Chairman

Fuji Abound
3rd Mar 2003, 20:51
It is refreshing to see the party "accused" prepared to give such a full and frank response and for the issue having been raised in the first place. Well done to PPrune for providing that forum and giving the opportunity for any further comment.

Hoverman
5th Mar 2003, 20:04
Fuji
Agree 100% with what you say about Prune warning people that an insurance company had gone bust.

But, I don't agree the Chairman of Hall & Clarke gave a full and frank response. All he wanted to do was distance himself from Folksam now they've gone down the pan with his cstomers premiums.
And the only thing anyone "accused" Hall & Clarke of was helping the insurance company in a dispute when they were trying to get out of paying the syndicate. In spite of all his customer care boasting, the "Chairman" wasn't exactly "full and frank" about that. He sidestepped it altogether. I'm sure he would have been damn quick to deny it if it wasn't true.
I'll be giving these brokers a very wide berth.