PDA

View Full Version : Good News From AOPA

SKYYACHT
22nd Feb 2003, 08:52
Well, I heard some good news recently; it seems that AOPA are offering all new student members a free years worth of membership Now that is a pro-active and worthwhile attempt to bolster the membership....Well done AOPA

Blue Skies....:O

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Feb 2003, 09:45
Fair enough, with the same membership fees of the PFA, BMAA or BGA and no engineering department, instructor training system or pilots licensing people to run, I'm sure that they can afford it.

G

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Feb 2003, 17:36
Hi Genghis,

I actually think that this is a good initiative.

For better or for worse they are one of the voices for general aviation. The bigger they are (in member numbers) the more weight it carries.

In these difficult times for aviation in general and GA in particular it has to be good to try and recruit amongst future PPLs.

The same lassitude which stops people from subbing to any of our representing bodies may well stop them from unsubbing once they have been signed up as SPL.

I know it looks a bit like, by hook or crook but in love and war all is fair play! ;)

FD

BGA, PFA and AOPA

PPPPP
22nd Feb 2003, 18:15
On the basis of this thread I went off to join, but the website says something like "This is a once-only offer of membership till 31st March ".

Does this really mean 31st March 2003?

Assuming it does, I've decided to hold off joining until April (though not the 1st) so as to get more than a six-week membership, trusting that the offer is still open by then<G>.

bingoboy
22nd Feb 2003, 19:39
But I thought AOPA was primarily concerned with the grp A instructing world.

Or did it just seem that way.

t'aint natural
22nd Feb 2003, 21:49
Genghis: I think you're being a little unfair. AOPA retains engineers to resolve members' problems. The current issue of its General Aviation magazine gives the example of a member for whom AOPA negotiated a £15,000 rebate on a major engineering job. It also retains lawyers and medical experts. The same issue contains letters from two members thanking AOPA, one for getting him off the hook with the CAA when he infringed Class A airspace, another for winning him back a full medical. Ask those guys if they think they got value for the price of their membership. AOPA also administers the NPPL, and is usually the first GA organisation to flag up problems coming out of Europe, like the proposal for a compulsory £68 million third party insurance. AOPA fights airfield closures and helps those who want to establish strips. I know some of the people involved, and they are committed aviators who work terribly hard. I pay about £45 a year to be a member partly because I support everything they do, and partly because I know they'll be there when my chestnuts need to be bailed out of the fire.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Feb 2003, 23:06
Yes I was harsh, but I stand by my point.

The insurance issue was originally flagged up, and is being dealt with by a RAeC committee under chairmanship of the BGA's chairman. The NPPL was proposed by AOPA, but admin is virtually all handled by PFA and BMAA, as was much of the construction of it's syllabus. The NPPL medical was largely created by the BMAA's medical advisor. The PFA coaching scheme and BMAA / BGA administered training systems go far beyond anything handled by AOPA. All three of PFA, BMAA and BGA employ incredibly capable PERMANENT engineering departments with constant access by their membership. PFA and BMAA also both retain very energetic airfield planning consultants.

I have on occasions asked AOPA for help in my professional capacity (as a senior employee of a major GA organisation, not as a private member) and got no assistance whatsoever.

I do know that the new(ish) chairman Prof.Done is trying to make big changes, and sincerely hope he is succeeding in doing something useful with the organisation - without doubt if it does a fraction of what US AOPA does it will be worthwhile. Also, AOPA without doubt has helped a few people out of legal problems, and it's aerobatic syllabus is excellent. But for the time being I firmly believe that the three big sports flying associations, the RAeS and increasingly the RAeC (after some years in the doldrums itself) provide far better value for money to their membership.

G

(Also, and I know this is past history, but AOPA was the most passionate advocate of JAR-FCL before it's implementation.)

Final 3 Greens
23rd Feb 2003, 15:24
Sadly there is a perception amongst at least some GA pilots that AOPA UK is a mutual admiration society run by a bunch of stuffy old school tie mates.

I'm not endorsing this view, but it will take more than a free student membership offer to build the right bridges.

Personally I do hope that AOPA UK can become stronger in the future, even though it is unlikely to ever achieve the results of AOPA US, simply due to the difference in leverage due to the size of the respective memberships.

ozplane
24th Feb 2003, 14:00
I went to the joint RAF/civil safety day at Wyton last year where several issues were raised about Mode S, airspace and so on which relate to GA flying. Rod Dean of the CAA stated quite clearly that the only way to get your voice heard was to join one of the associations. The remits for the BMAA, BGA, BPA and the PFA are clear but I'm still not sure who AOPA view as their target group. I own a 30-year old 115 hp single which might previously have been in the PFA orbit but they don't want to know therefore AOPA seems to be the only choice. However I get the impression that the entry level for AOPA is round about the Mooney/Arrow level i.e. serious singles and up. Anybody got any views?

Ian_Wannabe
24th Feb 2003, 20:52
Good history or bad history, like it dont like it, effective or not....... The membership for student PPLs is free so why not give it a go anyway, you never know, the boost in numbers may do some good? After all you're not paying anything so what's to loose??

I respect all of the points made, bad and good. Also I dont know my history of the UK AOPA, but surely having a b*tch about it on here which will probably put off potential student PPL members isnt gonna do the organisation any favours or make it a better organisation. Isn't it being bad what you're complaining about?

What I say is... Student PPLs join up whilst its free, your name on the paper might make a bit of difference - you're not gonna lose anything.

I've sent off my application in the post :p

Thanks for listening....

Ian

Philip Whiteman
25th Feb 2003, 09:34
There's no exclusivity as far as AOPA membership is concerned. I used to be a glider pilot, and first joined AOPA - because of David Ogilvy's airfield defence work - when I co-owned a Permit aircraft and was a member of the PFA.

I am still a member of the PFA, which I think does a fantastic job of supporting Permit aircraft and kitplanes. I am sure the BMAA deserves similar credit.

AOPA's work for pilot's compliments and supports that done by the above mentioned associations. Somebody has mentioned the testimonials published in 'General Aviation' already: note that the chap who wrote to Martin Robinson to say that AOPA had 'helped me avoid possible prosecution and certainly saved me from expensive legal costs' was a microlight pilot.

AOPA also gives voice to those falling outside the PFA/BMAA/BGA remit - like club flyers and private owners of C of A aircraft.

I will publish articles on any type of flying, from paragliders to the space shuttle, in AOPA's magazine 'General Aviation'. I am sure that the association would welcome pilots of these types, and all others in between, as members.