PDA

View Full Version : Flying Through the Arc de Triomphe

B9
19th Feb 2003, 15:05
Some years ago, I recall seeing in an aviation magazine a picture of an aircraft flying through the Arc de Triomphe. My memory is a bit hazy but I think it was a Rallye aircraft flown by a pilot protesting about aviation fuel tax or some other imposition on the GA fraternity by the French Government. Is anyone able to confirm the veracity of the photo (given that it was well before digital cameras and PCs made faking such photos easy) and perhaps post a copy? PS. I have tried simulating the feat on FS2002 but without success.

Aerobatic Flyer
19th Feb 2003, 15:30
Yes, it happened, and all the details are pretty much as you describe. I have seen the photo, but can't find it on the internet.

The preparation was very detailed - it wasn't just a spur of the moment stunt. It also wasn't the first flight through the Arc de Triomphe - someone did it at the end of WW1.

The Eiffel tower has also been flown under. There's a neat video from the cockpit (of a Bonanza) here. (http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/asm/web/site/QT/eiffel.html)

CBG
19th Feb 2003, 15:33
All I know is that in the 20ies and 30ies some pilots actually did it, they also landed on the rooftop of some of the Paris superstores (Gallerie Lafayette or Samaritaine).

Not sure whether somebody did it a few years ago but a bloke called the "Black baron" drove the French security people mad a few years ago when he flew over Paris at night several times. He did land on the Champ Elysees one day. They had closed them off to film some kind of commercial showing a bloke running holding the Olympic torch....when all of a sudden an a/c appeared behind him, low, flew right on top of him and landed.

He got a great one in his log book, not sure whether he still has a licence though!

aidanf
19th Feb 2003, 15:43
Aerobatic Flyer - that video is f**kin' amazing - could you just imagine someone trying something similar in todays 'friendly-fliers' climate - pity :eek:

Legalapproach
19th Feb 2003, 18:34
It was featured in Pilot at the time.

Tiger_ Moth
19th Feb 2003, 18:57
That guy in the video's fantastic, *applaudes*
Didn't some French WW1 ace kill himself a few years after the war practicing flying through the Champes Elysees for a victory parade? Can anyone remember what that man was called?

aidanf
20th Feb 2003, 05:47
"Can anyone remember what that man was called?"

...unlucky?

Keef
20th Feb 2003, 07:54
Distant memory now, but I was learning to fly on a Rallye at the time this chap flew a Rallye through the Arc. As I recall, it was a time-expired one (something to do with the spar) that would have to be scrapped anyway so he didn't mind the authorities confiscating it.

Also recall he removed the wing tip fairings, and then flew through with a lot of bank on - the Arc isn't that wide!

A definite case of "don't try this at home, folks!"

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Feb 2003, 10:17
And who was that guy back in the 50s (I think) who flew an Auster under all the Thames bridges in London??

And I beleive there is in existance, though I've never seen it myself, a video of a Cessna flying under the Thelwall Viaduct where the M6 crosses the Manchester Ship Canal....

SSD

Mark 1
21st Feb 2003, 12:17
I well remember reading about it at the time.

As I recall the aircraft was practically worthless, as said before.

I believe there was about 1m clearance of each wing tip and it was done very early on a calm day to avoid any turbulence.

It certainly made for a very impressive photograph.

treadigraph
21st Feb 2003, 13:54
Excellent bit of video - don't remember that one happening!

Shaggy, there was some discussion about the Thames Bridge episode (and the Black Baron) on the History and Nostalgia forum, probably the one about Austers...

Aerohack reminded us that it was Major Chris Draper, who also did it in the thirties in a Puss Moth!

Wonder if anyone has tried it under the Seine bridges?

Happy Friday!

Treadders

Aerohack
21st Feb 2003, 13:55
SSD: The 'Mad Major's' London bridges exploits were covered in the 'AaaahAusterrrr' thread on the 'Aviation History & Nostalgia' Forum a couple of weeks ago. As I result, I learned that the man who put him up to his later Messerschmitt-around-Eros escapade (car, not aeroplane) was the father of a US-domiciled, Auster 6-owning colleague of mine. Small world.

18greens
21st Feb 2003, 16:47
What about the guy who flew under the skye bridge in a TB10 to 'avoid a flock of birds'.

Report in pilot this month.