PDA

View Full Version : Felthorpe Hangar Fire

LTNman
18th Feb 2003, 05:35
There appears to be a large fire at Felthorpe Airfield, Norfolk. 10 fire engines in attendance with several aircraft destroyed.

formationfoto
18th Feb 2003, 07:09
The local newspaper site - edp24.co.uk has details. Can't remember what is based there but at least a chipmunk and a cub. Felthorpe has been the scene of a battle between the group based there and the new owners of the airfield.

stiknruda
18th Feb 2003, 09:18
The owner of a sweet little Pitts S1C based at Felthorpe rang me this morning to let me know. (We had planned to go out to play together this afternoon.)

All aircraft destroyed (nine in total I believe).

The local radio station said that the authorities were treating the blaze as suspicious.

Yes there has been a protracted battle about the club's tenancy and there is documented bad feeling. I truly hope this was an unfortunate accident and not anything more sinister.

Stik

stiknruda
18th Feb 2003, 12:06
Bumped into my friendly fire-fighter at lunchtime, he'd been to the conflagration and was definetely of the opinion that it was arson. Two buildings (hangar and club hse), seperated by a row of trees, both destroyed but the trees were unaffected -

"Couldn't have been radiation or the trees would have been scorched, Stik", said Barney McGrew.

Unless it was mindless vanadalism then there are not too many folk who would profit from the inferno...............:(

Stik

ozplane
18th Feb 2003, 16:49
BBC Look East at lunchtime had the number of a/c destroyed as 8 or 9 but specifically mentioned a Fairchild Argus. Some of the pictures seemed to show the frame of a Cub and an Auster. What a tragedy for the owners.

poetpilot
18th Feb 2003, 18:30
Firefighters battle flying club blaze

TARA GREAVES

February 18, 2003 14:25

The future of a 40-year-old flying club was in doubt today after a ferocious fire believed to have been started deliberately destroyed a hangar housing nine aeroplanes – many of them vintage machines.

More than 45 fire fighters braved hazardous conditions, including exploding aircraft fuel, to tackle the early morning blaze, which saw flames reaching about 30ft from the hangar in Taverham Road, Felthorpe.

All the light aircraft, worth thousands of pounds, were destroyed along with a nearby clubhouse, belonging to the Felthorpe Flying Club.

The hangar, which has no power connected, may now have to be demolished because of structural problems.

Owners of the aeroplanes, which included the club's Chipmunk and Cub and seven privately owned machines, were called to the scene by the police but could only watch as their treasured planes went up in flames.

Alan Fines, chairman of the club, said: "Everyone keeps asking whether the club will go on but we will just have to wait for the smoke to clear and see where we are at."

The alarm was raised at about 5am to a fire in the main hangar, which measures about 30m by 40m, and another blaze in the smaller clubhouse nearby.

Ten fire crews were called from Aylsham, Sprowston, Norwich, Reepham, Hethersett, Wymondham and Dereham and fought for more than two hours to bring the fires under control.

Mr Fines, whose Fairchild Argus plane built in 1946 was destroyed, added: "My plane was one of only five and there were several other vintage machines in there - this is devastating."

Club member Tim Harrolt said: "I owned one of 27 ARV's for 11 years. I try to fly most weekends but it has been difficult lately because of the weather but I was going to fly on Wednesday."

The 30 strong club, which is insured, rents the site from former prospective Tory MP Kay Mason.

Police and fire investigation officers were called to investigate the cause of the fires and sniffer dogs were brought in after the gate to the site, which is rented from the landowner, was cut open.

PC John Radcliffe told the EDP: "Bringing the dog in was part of routine inquiries to see if they could establish any tracks.

"We know there were two seats of fire and that the fire brigade believe the cause is malicious ignition – more commonly recognised as arson. We have brought in scenes of crime and CID officers who are working with the fire investigators to establish a cause."

Anyone with information should call police on 01953 424242.

Negative 'G'
18th Feb 2003, 18:37
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this has made me so MAD:mad: , Gawd what I would do to who ever has done this !

Please please please don't let the Argus be my old buddy G-AJPI:(

Could somebody please let me know the aircraft that where destroyed, especially any news on G-PI.

Urrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh I feel all wound up inside !

Neg G:(

Awwww what an awful shame, I've just looked on the CAA Database only to be relieved that it was'nt G-AJPI but them to be upset to find out that its one of its older sisters G-FANC:(

To everyone whose lost one of their loved ones in this tragedy please accept my deepest sympathies and I'll pray that the Scum who are responsible for this get an appropriate sentence for their actions !:mad:

Neg G:(

Prof Denzil Dexter
18th Feb 2003, 19:14
Felthorpe - What a delightful airstrip. What more could anyone want? A blister hanger full of classic aeroplanes and an old polo pavilion used as a clubhouse. Rural location and friendly pilots who want nothing more than to fly their aeroplanes. I've spent many happy hours getting pi$$ed in the Marsham Arms and returning to the clubhouse to get my head down and now it's no more.

I do hope the local police will be looking at the recent court case which the flying group quite rightly won. (details of which were published in last months 'Today's Pilot' I believe). I wouldnt like to suggest any foul play here, but it looks very much like foul play to me. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

niknak
18th Feb 2003, 20:19
If this does have anything to do with the local spat, (which I thought had run it's course), it's a truly sad day for G/A.

Many of the aircraft based there will be very difficult or impossible to replace.

Best wishes to all at Felthorpe for a swift resolution.

Flap40
19th Feb 2003, 18:32
I'm told that the owners are currently out of the country.:cool: :cool: :cool: